AMA Air Live Update on Remote ID

This week's AMA Air Live video has a segment in it where Tyler Dobbs updates us on the latest information about the FAA's Remote ID proposal.

Splash

Watch This Video For Info on Remote ID

This week's AMA Air Live video has a segment in it where Tyler Dobbs updates us on the latest information about the FAA's Remote ID proposal. Remote ID has been controversial within the model aircraft community as it really seems aimed at the commercial drone industry, but the model hobby side has been lumped in with it.

The comment period on the proposed rule has closed with over 53,000 comments that are required to be read. This is a lengthy process so we are a long ways out still before we will know anything concrete about the rule or any possible changes or exemptions to alleviate burden on the model hobby industry for recreational flying. Be sure to watch the segment below for more information. The Remote ID part starts at 22:46.

2020 Nats Announcement and a Remote ID Update on AMA Air LIVE! (31 min 59 sec)

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Jun 18, 2020 at 09:56 AM..
Jun 18, 2020, 10:12 AM
32 yrs. Of aircraft Flying!
is it just me or what, But seems like no one knows what is going on.. I got a email few weeks back now that said they have been companies hired to make remote ID things.. then on this episode they said there trying to just get them to make a App for our phone to give off our location so to me that is two totally different things. I know a couple of people that work in the business with drones and things they still say its going to be a device we put in each one of our aircraft we have to buy the unit and it transmit a signal off to where ever. so who really knows.
Jun 18, 2020, 10:22 AM
DFS#000178
The only update I want to see on this is that it's dead and buried.
Jun 18, 2020, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
The only update I want to see on this is that it's dead and buried.
+1. I will sell all my large stuff if this really does go into effect.
Jun 18, 2020, 11:12 AM
DFS#000178
I won't, because I'm not willing to cave to this authoritarian BS. I will, however, put a pirate flag decal on the tail of every airplane I own and keep flying.

That'll be my protest. A fair bit more peaceful than some of the others that've been going on.
Jun 18, 2020, 11:58 AM
Not so...

“This initial group will support the FAA in developing technology requirements for other companies to develop applications needed for Remote ID,” an FAA press release reads. “The applications will provide drone identification and location information to safety and security authorities while in flight.”

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2020/0...te-id-service/
Jun 18, 2020, 12:07 PM
solution is easy.. fly were no network is available .....
Jun 18, 2020, 02:10 PM
Quote:
I won't, because I'm not willing to cave to this authoritarian BS. I will, however, put a pirate flag decal on the tail of every airplane I own and keep flying.

That'll be my protest. A fair bit more peaceful than some of the others that've been going on.
Right on, I'm not caving and doubt anyone cares.
Jun 18, 2020, 02:20 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:

I'm already there....
Jun 18, 2020, 02:22 PM
For those of us who fly with clubs, I fear the RID result will be lots of folks quitting flying, resulting in clubs not having enough members to pay field rent.

CD
Jun 18, 2020, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
For those of us who fly with clubs, I fear the RID result will be lots of folks quitting flying, resulting in clubs not having enough members to pay field rent.

CD
In any group there always seems to be a "Karen" who is hellbent on enforcing rules. All I need when flying is some overweight busybody male Karen in cargo shorts and AMA tag flapping on the back of his hat checking my RID equipment when flying on a nice evening. No thanks!
Jun 18, 2020, 05:05 PM
Modeling Retread
There are already apps to identify where you fly. Right now you only have to use it in controlled airspace. Its simple. AMA said and I said this would be plenty for non-autonomous model aircraft.

As for the RID implementation contracts, this was never going to be about RID or No RID, the effort was to separate non-autonomous model aviation from semi and full autonomous aircraft.
Jun 18, 2020, 10:21 PM
32 yrs. Of aircraft Flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaboy92hatch
+1. I will sell all my large stuff if this really does go into effect.
Do you mean anything over 250 grams? cause everything over that weight is what is suppose to be Tagged with this ID crap.
Jun 19, 2020, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationfxr
In any group there always seems to be a "Karen" who is hellbent on enforcing rules. All I need when flying is some overweight busybody male Karen in cargo shorts and AMA tag flapping on the back of his hat checking my RID equipment when flying on a nice evening. No thanks!
Lol..what is a Karen? Can people aspire to be one? Or is it a bad thing. ROFLMAO.
Jun 19, 2020, 08:30 PM
That thing almost hit me
Wikipedia on being a "Karen"

Karen is a pejorative term used in the United States for a woman perceived to be entitled or demanding beyond the scope of what is considered appropriate or necessary. A common stereotype is that of a racist white woman who uses her privilege to demand her own way at the expense of others. Depictions also include demanding to "speak to the manager", being an anti-vaxxer, or having a particular bob cut hairstyle. As of 2020, the term has increasingly been used as a general-purpose term of disapproval for middle-aged white women in the United States.

Quick Reply