Jun 18, 2020, 03:39 AM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Discussion

H-King Hawker Tempest 800mm (31.5") PNF

This H-King version of the thoroughbred Hawker Tempest warbird is manufactured in a superbly finished EPO foam and an authentic World War ll D-Day invasion stripe color scheme plus all the decals are factory applied. The Hawker Tempest comes with motor, ESC and servos pre-installed and also a built in 6 axis ORX flight stabilization system to make it even easier to fly. The stabilization uses a 32bit MCU and a 6 axis digital gyro for ultra fast control response, it can also be switched from beginners mode to expert mode.

The H-King Hawker Tempest is based on a Mk V clipped wing version that came into service in 1944. The Tempest is a later version of the Typhoon which was found to lack performance at altitude. They fitted a new thinner laminar flow wing which gave it a marked improvement over the Typhoon even with the same Napier Sabre engine. The Tempest was at the forefront of the battle against the V1 flying bombs flying at low level. The Tempest emerged as one of the most powerful fighters of World War II and was the fastest single-engine propeller-driven aircraft of the war at low altitude. The markings of the H-King Tempest JN751 RB depicts the aircraft that was flown by Wg Cdr R.P.Beaumont OC of 150 Wing based at Newchurch in England in 1944. In this particular aircraft Beaumont scored most of his 31 V1 claims including the very first air-to-air claim on 8th June 1944.

There is little to build with the H-King Hawker Tempest, it comes 97% pre-built and as mentioned before it has the motor, ESC, servos and the ORX pre-installed. All you need to do is fit the main wing, tail assembly and plug in the main landing gear. To complete the model you require your own transmitter, receiver and flight battery, after that everything else is included.

It has the power to do all the maneuvers required for a World War II fighter and looks fantastic in the air. The stabilization system makes it very smooth and easy to fly and because of it's size it is perfect for local parks, large indoor areas or the local flying patch.

Features:
• Authentic scale detail
• Outstanding flight characteristics
• Fitted with ORX flight stabilizer with 2 different flight modes (Beginner and Expert)
• Efficient 4 blade propeller
• High torque brushless motor
• Complete high-quality hardware package

Specs:
Wing Span: 800mm (31.5”)
Length: 678mm (26.75”)
Weight: 455g
Thrust rate: 1:1
Motor: 2408-1200KV brushless
ESC: 20A brushless
Gyro: Intelligent 6-axis and 2 flight modes (beginner-expert)
Servo: 9g x 4
Propeller: 8x6 4 blade

Required:
5ch or more radio and receiver system
11.1V 800mAh 15C LiPo Battery (JST Connector)
Suitable Li-Poly charger

H-King Hawker Tempest 800mm Unboxing Review - Community Content - North East FPV (6 min 52 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2020, 09:05 AM
Once again a re-release of a former TopRC plane - well done HK! These planes look really good and fly as well. I fitted retracts in mine, a bit on the heavy side now but still a good flier. And it handles wind much better than stock
Jun 18, 2020, 09:08 AM
Smish-smash
Excellent choice for a re-pop. By all accounts a good plane.
Jun 18, 2020, 09:43 AM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare bird
I fitted retracts in mine, a bit on the heavy side now but still a good flier. And it handles wind much better than stock
Which retracts did you use for your retrofit?
Jun 18, 2020, 10:10 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy852
Which retracts did you use for your retrofit?
Probably the mini retracts, the same as in this video on the Mustang........
Fitting Retracts HobbyKing P51 750mm Moonbeam Rc Plane (14 min 35 sec)

Hopefully they bring the T-34 next.

LURCH
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Jun 18, 2020, 10:19 AM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
Probably the mini retracts, the same as in this video on the Mustang........
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydcs9hhwo

Hopefully they bring the T-34 next.

LURCH
Cool stuff!
Jun 18, 2020, 10:48 AM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
H-King Hawker Temptest MAIDEN FLIGHT! (5 min 12 sec)
Jun 18, 2020, 11:42 AM
JohnVHRC
Beautiful bird!
Jun 18, 2020, 01:07 PM
It's the smallest one from HK, wheels sanded down to fit in the wing, wheel covers are used as well.
Jun 18, 2020, 01:25 PM
JohnVHRC
Now thats tempting! I love retracts.
Jun 18, 2020, 03:04 PM
Me too - warbirds with fixed gear are a no-go for me!
Jun 18, 2020, 04:31 PM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
Quote:
It's the smallest one from HK, wheels sanded down to fit in the wing, wheel covers are used as well.
Nice work!
Jun 19, 2020, 08:43 AM
slats move, slots don't
Thread OP
H-King Hawker Tempest WRING OUT Flt 2 NO GEAR (6 min 0 sec)
Jun 19, 2020, 10:20 AM
JohnVHRC
That was an amazing flight.

Hawker Tempest UNBOXING & ASSEMBLY H-king (9 min 5 sec)
Jun 19, 2020, 12:11 PM
i ordered mine the moment i got the email....i love the p51 moonbeam...Hope this flies just as well....
Jun 19, 2020, 01:29 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
Me too - warbirds with fixed gear are a no-go for me!

Only if the real one one was fixed gear like a Val or a Stuka and all the WW1 biplanes.

I was just looking at a great planes A6m zero........the fixed gear turned me off.

The PT19 works though!
Jun 19, 2020, 01:51 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelonSteel
Only if the real one one was fixed gear like a Val or a Stuka and all the WW1 biplanes.

I was just looking at a great planes A6m zero........the fixed gear turned me off.

The PT19 works though!
I'm the same way, although I'm okay with one if I can take the main gear off and use it as a bellylander. This Tempest certainly looks like a decent candidate for that.
Jun 19, 2020, 04:36 PM
Well, it's chin scoop is prone to dig in on landing though. I'd suggest to protect it with a layer of glass cloth like I did. Much less dents and wrinkels.
Jun 22, 2020, 12:01 AM

Just as I did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKANGEL1
i ordered mine the moment i got the email....i love the p51 moonbeam...Hope this flies just as well....
Love the P-51 so I ordered this for arrival in 3 days from HK Sydney to Melbourne

All I have done is to copy the P-51D settings on my DX9 to this model & she is ready to go.

Great flights JohnVRC
Last edited by bellairvideo; Jun 22, 2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added
Jun 27, 2020, 03:36 PM
Just ordered mine now, I loved the moonbeam mcswine V2 so I was pretty exited when I heard about this
Jun 27, 2020, 05:37 PM
and also I’m kind of new, can I run a 2s battery like the moonbeam mcswine
Jun 28, 2020, 01:54 AM
Should be ok. I fly it on 3S 1000mAh stock ESC and motor, great to fly scale like wide loops and fast passes
Jun 28, 2020, 07:27 AM
Thanks so much
Jul 01, 2020, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Should be ok. I fly it on 3S 1000mAh stock ESC and motor, great to fly scale like wide loops and fast passes
Rare Bird, did you swap out the ESC plug on yours to accommodate a 1000, as most have XT60? If not, where did you buy a 1000mah 3S with JST battery? I maidened mine today on Gens Ace 3S 800s and it burned through them in no time. They were probably used up at 2.5 min. May have killed the batteries.
What flight times are you getting on the 1000s?
Last edited by CowTownFlyer; Jul 01, 2020 at 08:41 PM.
Jul 02, 2020, 02:18 AM
I stil fly with Deans plugs, not the best solution, I know. But yes, the stock JST plug is a problem, as others have reported some time ago in similar threads.
I get about 6 to 7 minutes with mixed throttle.
Jul 02, 2020, 07:44 AM
Quote:
I stil fly with Deans plugs, not the best solution, I know. But yes, the stock JST plug is a problem, as others have reported some time ago in similar threads.
I get about 6 to 7 minutes with mixed throttle.
Great. Thanks. I would rather not swap out the plug, but it’s looking like it will be necessary if I want to upsize the battery.
Jul 03, 2020, 02:53 AM

Retract Install & Li-ion

Quote:
I just ordered one of these. I'm interested in doing the retract mod. looking at these pictures you cut right through the wing to install them. How did you go about securely fixing them in place?

I'm also considering a 3 cell Li-ion battery, it would give much longer flight times, trouble is a 2600mAh 3S 18650 pack will be ~150g that will be about 60g heavier than stock. I'm not sure if it'll be overweight with this plus retracts. any thoughts?
Jul 03, 2020, 01:48 PM
My approach was maybe a little bit compilacted

In order to be able to service the retract unit if necessary I didn't just glue it in the wing. I made some kind of fibreglass sleve, into wich the reatract is screwed from the top. Just wrap the retract with cellophane and put on the fibreglass and let cure. This sleve is then glued in the wing. This explains why I cut through the whole wing to provide access to the screws from the top. The original piece of EPO from the wings upper surface is hold in place by latches and double sided tape. A piece of styrene covers the retract on the bottom.

As I said, not the easiest way but very clean looking in the end
Salute
RB
Jul 04, 2020, 12:14 PM
Anyone know if this thing will take an AR620 receiver, or am I going to end up buying another receiver and possible a radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 09, 2020, 08:53 AM

Maiden Flight

This video shows off the capabilities of the easy flying Hobby King 850mm Hawker Tempest with the included ORX Stabiliser flying over Geelong area and fitted with the Insta360 GO 18 gram Multicam
Enjoy the flight!
HK HAWKER TEMPEST MAIDEN with Insta360 GO Multicam (3 min 46 sec)

Quick Reply