FT Micro Freighter STEM RC Airplane

The FT STEM Micro Freighter is a kit project that anyone can build and fly. It's designed with classrooms in mind and teaching kids about science, building and flight.

Splash

Affordable Project Has All the Fun

The FT STEM Micro Freighter is a kit project that anyone can build and fly. It's designed with classrooms in mind and teaching kids about science, building and flight. The plane itself looks like a cargo plane and is made from durable EPP foam. The wingspan is 390mm allowing it to fly just about anywhere. It is a kit, so you get to build the plane before flying it. Flite Test has a great video (posted below) that shows the process and flight tuning to make it easy for beginners. The kit come with everything you need except 3AA battery and only costs $44.99.

The lipo in the plane is charged with the included USB cable. The FT Micro Freighter uses the FT 2 channel EZ Pack which provides differential thrust to steer and the altitude of the plane is controlled by varying the throttle. Even if you have never flown before, flights with the FT Micro Freighter are smooth and stable with the stabilization board, making it easy for new pilots to be successful. The electronics in the FT Micro Freighter can be reused in other aircraft designs too when you want to try a different airframe.

Check out the FT Micro Freighter STEM RC Airplane

Features:

• Multi-Axis Gyro Stability System
  • Durable EPP Construction
  • Reliable 2.4 GHZ Control System
  • Efficient and Powerful Dual Motor Control
  • Specifications:
  • Wingspan: 390mm
  • Length: 405mm
  • Flying Weight: 50g
  • Battery: 3.7V 300mAh Lipo (included)
  • USB Battery Charger: (included)

Includes:

• Aircraft kit
  • LiPo battery
  • Transmitter
  • USB LiPo charging cable
  • Tube of glue

FT Freighter / BUILD / TUNE / FLY (22 min 35 sec)

Jun 17, 2020, 06:30 AM
Another great initiative from the crew from FliteTest. Excellent work guys!
Jun 17, 2020, 05:59 PM
IWC
IWC
Too bad it’s not larger in size
Jun 21, 2020, 10:23 AM
Electric Coolhunter
While I greatly admire Flite Test and their excellent STEM initiatives and efforts, it is worth mentioning that this was not designed by Flite Test.

This model, with US military markings and gray inlets, has been available for purchase for nearly three years from other web sites. The manufacturer could not label it as a C-17 because of Boeing trademark issues.

I will say it was pretty smart of Flite Test to adopt this available product and market it for STEM education as it is a very easy to fly and great flying thrust steering model that is simple to operate and young people friendly.

I own two of them and in my opinion, it is one of the very best thrust steering models ever produced.

Here is a link to the long running thread about the model:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...C-Airplane-RTF
Last edited by Thomas B; Jun 21, 2020 at 10:49 AM.
Jun 22, 2020, 02:11 PM
Not designed by FT, but IIRC they have recommended some tweaks to the manufacturer. They are also supporting it, which would be worth the few extra $$ they are asking.

I just wish the bundles were not sold out!
Jun 22, 2020, 06:21 PM
To be fair, this model was well supported long before FliteTest got hold of it. I say that as a huge fan of FT, and especially of Josh Bixler, over many years. There have also been many very good third party reviews of it.

There was excellent parts support, at very reasonable cost, from Banggood, although I never needed it because the model is very hard to break. Some of my club colleagues, one in particular, made amazing models based on the receiver, battery and motors. In fact they flew far better indoors than the C-17 does! I agree though the C-17 is one of the best 2Ch differential thrust planes available and I really enjoyed flying mine, but mainly outdoors because the turn authority is not great.
Last edited by 1auriec; Jun 22, 2020 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply