Jul 12, 2021, 05:19 PM
Cherokee still my favorite
Looks promising, would imagine can always add a washer behind mount plate to increase gap if needed. Both mine clicked when new. FliteTest was good about it and sent two replacement motors, zero issue with those. Still have old ones sitting under bench, never found source of the noise but don't trust them to be used in anything but emergency situation. If I had to venture a guess would think slight touch on one of the magnets due to poor assembly but never ran them long enough to see any wear indication.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2021, 06:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Looks promising, would imagine can always add a washer behind mount plate to increase gap if needed. Both mine clicked when new. FliteTest was good about it and sent two replacement motors, zero issue with those. Still have old ones sitting under bench, never found source of the noise but don't trust them to be used in anything but emergency situation. If I had to venture a guess would think slight touch on one of the magnets due to poor assembly but never ran them long enough to see any wear indication.
I could never find any evidence that the magnets were loose or rubbing against something. My vote is for bad bearings
Might tear one down one of these days and see about replacing the bearings.
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Jul 14, 2021, 01:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
The new Sunnysky X2212 1250Kv motors are now installed the the USCG Widgeon.

Easy swap. The three bolt prop adapters from the stock motors bolt up to the Sunnysky motors perfectly, so you can keep the left hand threaded one for the motor running in reverse.

Ran the motors up and they sound great.

Hope to finally get the second flight on the Coast Guard bird. First real flight, as the one last year was only two laps of the field at very reduced power, since the stock motors sounded so bad.

Flight photos soon.
Jul 14, 2021, 09:34 AM

Great Hobbies in Toronto

I just purchased a Flite Test Widgeon from Great Hobbies in Toronto. They had a number like maybe six and they are all gone.

Shipping via Canada Post was $43 from Toronto to Kingston area.
Jul 30, 2021, 11:26 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
I have been experimenting with gradually pushing the battery back
Crossed the line Sunday with about 1/2 the battery tucked out of view
Took off with an immediate jump and was all over as I tried to level her.
Minor crash with cosmetic damage to the nose and 1 wingtip, Separation of the
hull from the foam on the port side.

Elmo Te
Jul 31, 2021, 09:58 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Not sure I see the logic of continually pushing the CG back until the aircraft bites back.

The Widgeon is an excellent flyer at the correct CG. Mine trims out with no elevator deflection and turns on a dime.
Jul 31, 2021, 06:19 PM
Outlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
Not sure I see the logic of continually pushing the CG back until the aircraft bites back.

The Widgeon is an excellent flyer at the correct CG. Mine trims out with no elevator deflection and turns on a dime.
maybe he was trying to hover?
Aug 01, 2021, 05:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
I have very little sympathy for anyone crashing this model due to moving the CG back to make it hover better….

If I want to hover, I fly a 3D plane. If I want to fly an awesome little scale foam Widgeon seaplane, I fly it in a scale like fashion….
Aug 04, 2021, 02:25 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Mine is very prone to going on the nose during taxi and landing, and wallows in the water when at the book CG. So I explored how far back I could get it. Found it!

Elmo Te
Aug 05, 2021, 11:19 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te
Mine is very prone to going on the nose during taxi and landing, and wallows in the water when at the book CG. So I explored how far back I could get it. Found it!

Elmo Te
The better fix for nosing over on landing on the ground is to simply bend the gear forward to put the wheels in a better position.

What do you mean by the model “wallowing” in the water? I don’t see any evidence of it with my model or in the videos I have seen of the Widgeon in action on the water?

Quick Reply