Jun 14, 2020, 07:04 AM
Thread OP
Video

IDS install on NAN Models Explorer BF

Hi all,

I thought I'd make a detailed video on installing the IDS on my new Explorer BF. I found it tricky to find detailed info. on this so I hope this helps someone out.

Explorer BF F5J - aileron servo and IDS installation (2 hr 3 min 2 sec)

It's pretty long so I added time stamps into the description of the vid, they are:

0:0:00 - Introduction and a few Explorer BF tips
0:09:02 - IDS prep for install
0:32:50 - making exit holes from servo bay
0:44:47 - Installing control surface horns
0:55:20 - cutting wipers
1:07:58 - glueing control surface horns
1:19:25 - instaling servo frame
1:56:40 - testing

Cheers

Ben
Last edited by sonicbenj; Jun 14, 2020 at 07:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2020, 05:31 PM
jjc
jjc
Very well done video. John
Jun 14, 2020, 06:15 PM
About to do my first install of the IDS system. Will carefully view the video.
Thanks
Cary
Jun 15, 2020, 01:13 AM
I do not have time to watch the whole video, but aileron IDS installation is less than ideal. It is better to tilt aileron servo horn towards hinge line, not forward.
Jun 17, 2020, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
I do not have time to watch the whole video, but aileron IDS installation is less than ideal. It is better to tilt aileron servo horn towards hinge line, not forward.
Could you perhaps explain what you mean by the above. Iím having trouble picturing what you are describing.
Thanks,
Regards
Paul
Jun 18, 2020, 02:44 AM
399' and holding
Jun 18, 2020, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloh
Could you perhaps explain what you mean by the above. Iím having trouble picturing what you are describing.
Thanks,
Regards
Paul
He means that ailerons generally need more up movement than down, so the servo arm should be biased to produce that. Fine tuning of aileron differential is of course still done with transmitter settings.

Lenny
Jun 18, 2020, 11:01 PM
Thanks Lenny,
Yes that makes sense to me now.
In DLGís Iím always looking the other way, more down than up.
Regards,
Paul
Jun 19, 2020, 04:15 PM
Nice video and very thorough. One question, I can see that the pivot point for aileron control horn would be located at or near the hinge line, but did you locate the flap control horn in front of the hinge line(3-5 mm) in order to obtain full down deflection?
Last edited by soardude101; Jun 19, 2020 at 06:28 PM.
Jun 22, 2020, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
He means that ailerons generally need more up movement than down, so the servo arm should be biased to produce that. Fine tuning of aileron differential is of course still done with transmitter settings.

Lenny
Geometry of IDS is not really different from conventional linkage. Good rule of thumb is to install aileron servo in position where it meets pushrod at about 90-100 deg angle. Pay attention: the pushrod is not horizontal, it rises rather steeply towards the aileron! This angle allows one to use the very shortest horn in the set, which is a benefit with small aileron servos.

The aileron linkage in video can be made to work, but only with a longer servo horn or limited aileron up movement.

For ideal aileron servo IDS installation one needs to get the mini pushrod kit and use the shortest (or second shortest) pushrods available. For flaps slightly longer pushrod is ok.

BTW In normal mode my aileron deflections are usually 17deg up and 14 deg down. Some of you might want to get more deflection, so build for 20 deg up.
Jun 23, 2020, 12:23 AM

Flap Installation

I have a problem on the flap linkage where the surface canít be deflected more than about 65 deg without excess play developing. This could cause flutter but so far not a problem on slow speed F5J landings. It appears that this is a geometry issue peculiar to IDS caused by the short moment arm between the hinge line and the horn hinge point. Are there any solutions to this?
Jul 02, 2020, 08:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to take delivery of my 3.8m BF Explorer (yay!). I'm deliberating hard about the servo setup. It seems the MKS HV6110 is a popular choice for flaps & ailerons (and also in the fuse), but I worry about the low torque 3.4kgs, that this will not be enough for the massive flaps, or will it?

Alternatively I could splash out and get the twice as expensive MKS 6130 which has >6kgs of torque for the flaps (and HV6110 everywhere else), or the KST x10 mini's which are more torquey >7.5kgs and half the price of the MKS 6130's. Can one mix brands i.e. have KST and MKS servos in the wings?

Any wisdom to impart?

Thanks
Nick
Jul 02, 2020, 09:09 AM
You need have larger servos in flaps. Mixing KST and MKS is not a problem. X10 mini is what we mostly use
Jul 02, 2020, 12:37 PM
Installing IDS on Explorer Bf (24 min 1 sec)
Jul 02, 2020, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
You need have larger servos in flaps. Mixing KST and MKS is not a problem. X10 mini is what we mostly use
Thanks Tuomo, I think that's what I'll do then. I want to use the Servorahmen IDS system, but the build video by at the beginning of this thread has got me worried because the MKS HV6110 and KST X10 mini IDS kits come with the small control horn which, as Ben said in the video, just doesn't look substantial enough. I've checked the Servorahmen website and they don't seem to sell the large servo horns separately. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply