Oct 30, 2020, 03:03 PM
I have it on good authority EAA acquired a large scale (60% scale , 22'-3" span) P-51D model, last year. This was to hang in WWII display. Has there been any progress in finishing the display? Covid seems to have brought a lot of museum activities, in general, to a stand still)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2020, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
I have it on good authority EAA acquired a large scale (60% scale , 22'-3" span) P-51D model, last year. This was to hang in WWII display. Has there been any progress in finishing the display? Covid seems to have brought a lot of museum activities, in general, to a stand still)

I haven't heard anything about it.
The EAA museum has quite a few scale RC airplanes hanging on display.
My VAA Chapter 37 restored Harold Nuemans 1941 full scale Monocoupe to static display condition, and that was maybe 7 years ago, and it still awaits a display space in the EAA museum.
It was per Harold Nuemans' family that was restored to static display condition, never to be flown again as long as the EAA owns it.
The Nueman family donated it.
Nov 27, 2020, 07:03 PM
I think I go fly

Great Shots

The Motherlode
Nov 28, 2020, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrobus
The Motherlode
That reminds me of a pic I took in June, outside the Finnish Air Force Museum. The type never served in Finland, so they didn't feel like giving it authentic paint - and decided to let local school children propose designs.

Also, one of my favorite older aircraft in the museum:
Dec 24, 2020, 02:02 PM
Benjamin-

Thanks for so many great views of antique airplanes. Something to see/ enjoy in so many different directions. GEMS all.

I particularly enjoyed the various views of Minx Capon. Seems to have been a been modified slightly, at different times during its long flying life. Still a good looking little low wing!
Dec 31, 2020, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Benjamin-

Thanks for so many great views of antique airplanes. Something to see/ enjoy in so many different directions. GEMS all.

I particularly enjoyed the various views of Minx Capon. Seems to have been a been modified slightly, at different times during its long flying life. Still a good looking little low wing!
It has definitely been modified quite a bit throughout it's life, even the name Minx Capon is actually a modification of it's original name, the AMA Minx. But I am really glad I got my hands on it. We've been doing quite a bunch of work to it. We've rebuilt the instrument panel to include period correct gauges instead of the several automotive gauges that were in it. The last piece of that puzzle is the mag switch that I am rebuilding right now. We also got the engine running a little while ago and we've been working the kinks out of that. Once I get the mag switch installed and properly wired, it should be airworthy in the engine/instrument department. We still have to basically do a deep annual inspection on the fuselage and tail feathers before they are ready for flight. But most of all we are probably going to have to totally tear down and rebuild the wings as they seem to have some water damage. Anyway, I will be disappointed if it takes more than a year or so to get her back in the air. Here is a few more pictures of her in her earlier configuration, you can see the various changes including the engine conversion.

Quick Reply