Jun 13, 2020, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Gallery

Whole bunch of Vintage Airplane Photos

I spend a lot of time around and in vintage airplanes which means I amass a lot of pictures of them and I recently discovered this General Aviation section and thought you guys might enjoy some of them. Too much variety to sort them or write up captions so I will just throw them on here data dump style. All taken in the last year or two, either by me or of me.

I'm not going to try to cation them all but feel free to ask me about any of them if you have questions.
Last edited by benjamin presten; Jun 13, 2020 at 08:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2020, 01:03 AM
Some guy has been put in the passenger's seat on a Sea Fury?

Jun 15, 2020, 01:10 AM
Thread OP
Lol, yeah that's me. I'm 6'5" so it was a squeeze but absolutely worth it.
Jun 15, 2020, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
here's another shot from the same session
Jun 15, 2020, 01:38 PM
And it was a Sea Fury with a British engine too!

I believe most airworthy ones have American engines now. R-2800 or R-3350. Easier to get parts and to operate.
Jun 15, 2020, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Much much easier, and also a lot less maintenance required in the first place. The Bristol Centaurus is a maintenance hog with its sleeve valve system. But the sound of the American engines ruins the whole thing for me. The Centaurus sounds so cool whether its wound up or at idle.
Jun 17, 2020, 01:02 PM

Beautiful little Clipper

Wow, 75M is sure a pretty little Clipper.
Dad owned one (N5647H) back in the day but it was pretty plain jane. In the one of the images, that's me on the right next to my older brother, in front of Piper PA-16 Clipper's, 47H & 84H. Dad was in the Navy when he owned 47H and so each time he deployed to WestPac on CVA-63 we would pull the wings & tail feathers off 47H, take it all home and store it in the garage. Memories.
Dad eventually upgraded to a C175 but ended up having the engine upgraded with the Avcon Conversion to a Lyc 0-360-A1A with a constant speed prop.
Cheers
Dave
Jun 17, 2020, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Not everyone is lucky enough to enjoy a clipper like us! Any idea where that one is now?

Here's a write up I did on our clipper if you want to read a little more about it.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nacle-of-Piper
Jun 17, 2020, 08:16 PM

PA-16's forever

Interesting you folks upgraded to an 0-320 Lyc engine. Dad had a heck of a time in 47H with the oil temp going up to the red line on the 0-235 C1. He later found out that 47H had been used in a Power Puff Derby or some such race back a number of years and most likely someone had installed a leaner main jet in the carb. I had a Grumman American AA-1B we called the Orange Crate. That 0-235C1 also exhibited high oil temperature so I retrofitted and STC'ed oil cooler kit and no more issues. Dad always said the 0-235 most likely should have never have been certified without an oil cooler.
I have no idea where 47H or 84H are at this time. Hope they both found good homes.
Jun 17, 2020, 08:20 PM
Thread OP
We ran out an O-235 before we switched to the O-320, funny I've never heard of them having temp issues. They're really just and O-320 with less displacement so I would think they should cool even better. But we do have a certified oil cooler on the O-320, they're not very easy to find these days actually and stupid expensive when you do find them.
Jun 18, 2020, 12:38 AM
AeroDan
BEAUTIFUL pictures!!! That Lockheed 5B Vega (Shell Gasoline) is STUNNING!!! Those Monocoupe’s are GORGEOUS, too!!!
Jun 18, 2020, 02:58 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, the Vega is one of my Favorites. The restoration was completed a few years back, unfortunately the restorer died before it was flown. The gentleman who owns it now did a whole bunch more work to it getting things worked out and about a year ago he got it in the air for the first time. Took a while to get the kinks worked out but she's running like a Swiss watch now. Also the Vega has an added bit of history as it's daily pilot for Shell was Jimmy Doolittle.

The same guy owns the monocoupes shown, he got pretty much as close as possible to owning one of each model.
He owns:
The only Remaining Monoprep (currently under restoration)
The Only remaining Monocoach
A Model 22/70
A Model 113
A 90A
The only Straight 110 still flying
A Clipped Wing 110 Special
The only D145 Still Flying
And, not a mono coupe but the same designer, a Luscombe Phantom (Restoration will be completed in a few weeks)
Oct 28, 2020, 11:50 AM
Some guy did these drawings of Monocoupe D-145

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=13

D-145 had rather unsavory handling reputation, especially while landing. Lindbergh wrecked his thus, and decided not to fly it, ever again. So his Monocoupe survives and is now is on display at St Louis airport lobby.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Some guy did these drawings of Monocoupe D-145

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=13

D-145 had rather unsavory handling reputation, especially while landing. Lindbergh wrecked his thus, and decided not to fly it, ever again. So his Monocoupe survives and is now is on display at St Louis airport lobby.
Yeah, I did a little write up on the D-145s a while back. I think the D-145s reputation was due to it being a high performance airplane in low performance times. Lindbergh had his modified at the factory and I think he regretted doing so since it made the airplane worse. Unfortunately he chose to bad mouth the airplane instead of admitting that it was an issue of his own making. The owner of this D-145 has owned every model of monocoupe except the monosport and he said the D-145 is the nicest flying one.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...del-Monocoupes
Oct 29, 2020, 08:19 PM
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!
I am a 26 year volunteer at EAA Oshkosh, on the Vintage Aircraft Association security team, so get to see a
lot of vintage aircraft!
A few years back I helped to guide "Songbird III" into its show plane parking spot, right after helping to install the static display
AM radio wire antenna on Jimmy Doolittles Shell Stinson !

I have had the opportunity to meet Scott Crossfield, Jimmy Doolittle III, Shauna Dooliitle Hoppes, Tex Hill , and Bob Hoover and others at EAA.
A friend of mine runs "Vintage In Review" by the Vintage Hangar
The yellow Ercoupe is my 1946 415CD

The B-29 taking off is "DOC".
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; Oct 29, 2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply