This thread is privately moderated by oldsneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 13, 2020, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Using Google Drive with the iX12

This is a mini How To on using Google Drive with an iX12 to Export models and Import models and model photos.

Google Drive is a virtual hard drive that you access from the internet. As of this writing, they give you 15 Gig of storage for free. There are programs/apps to access Google Drive from almost all devices.

If you're tired of messing with SD Cards in your iX12, you can use Google Drive (and other clouds) to replace your Import and Export needs. Once I got messages on my iX12 that said I shouldn't leave the SD card in it, I knew it was time to bail out with them. It was just a matter of time until I forgot to remove it or lost it.

One caveat on this method. My iX12 slows appreciably when WiFi is turned on. The Import and Export functions can take some time between screen changes. So at times you need to wait until the iX12 catches up to you.

There's a few assumptions in this How To:

Your iX12 is registered
You have WiFi working.
You already have a Google ID and are logged in.
You know the basics of getting around the Android part of the iX12.

There are so many button presses and different screens to this that I did not capture all the minutia of this process. There are times when you will have to do a little poking around and trying things to get thru this. So it's best to try this for the first time with unimportant test files.

First make sure WiFi is on and properly setup with your router.

To turn WiFi on, the easiest way inside Airware is go to the Sleep Mode. Fast press the Power button once or twice depending on how your iX12 is set up to get into the Sleep Mode screen.

Install Google Drive
The method is the similar to installing Spektrum updates. Go into the Android Play Store.

Model Export

Start with the standard method of exporting a model.
Fast press the top left of the screen on the model name, then press Proceed

Press the three dots on the top right of the screen

Press on Export Models

Select the model or models to be exported and press the Export button.

Google Drive will appear as one of the choices to export to if you have installed it properly. Select Save to Drive

Note: if you are exporting all your models, this may take a while. And the iX12 will pause on the Model list screen while it is working on it. Just wait until it reaches the Save to Drive screen shown below.

After it compiles your models to be exported, the model or models you are exporting will appear in a list.

To change the folder you want to save the model to, scroll the screen down to the bottom of it.

Press on the folder to change it. Navigate to the folder you want to use. You can create a new folder also. I usually create a folder with the name of the date I'm exporting. Again, the screens change very slowly on the iX12 so be patient. When everything is set, press Save. You have Exported your model to Google Drive.

Another point on this. Google Drive updates what you did at different rates across the different devices you can use it with. Using it in browser like Chrome or Edge on a PC usually updates quickly and will show your new files almost instantly. However, using the File Explorer on a PC is not quick and can take a long time to update. Google Drive on an iPad is somewhere between those two extremes in speed.

Model Import

You need to know which folder the model you want to import is located in. The easiest way do that is to access Google Drive from another device such as a PC, iPad, iPhone etc. and find its location. Once you know that, proceed.

Google Drive is not accessible inside Airware for Model Import like it is for Model Export. So I use Google Drive to copy the file into the Download folder that Airware can see.

So start Google Drive from the Android screen on the iX12 as shown earlier.
Press the Drive icon.

Navigate in Google Drive and locate the model you want to Import. Press on the right blue icon to see your Drive contents.

Once you find your file, press on the 3 dots to the right of the name.

If you long press on the filename, Google Drive will try to display the file. Ignore the error. Press on the 3 dots in the top right of the screen.

Scroll down and select Download.

Google Drive will copy your file to the Download folder on your iX12 that is visible during the Import process. Return to Airware home screen.

Fast press the top left of the screen on the model name

Press the three dots on the top right of the screen

Press on Import Models

Navigate to the Download folder and select the file to import.

Press Confirm.

The Model will Import and appear at the bottom of your model listing.

Photo Import

The process is the same for model photos as for models. What appears different with this is that Airware does give you access to Google Drive in the photo import process. But I haven't been able to get it to work. Airware goes thru the motions like it's working but the photo never appears. If someone figures out what Iím doing wrong, let me know.

SoÖÖ as with the model file, I copy the photo into that same Download folder first and then it can be imported into the model.

So start Google Drive from the Android screen on the iX12 as shown earlier.
Press the Drive icon.

Navigate in Google Drive and locate the photo you want to Import. Press the right bottom blue icon for the Google Drive contents

Once you find it, long press on the file name to display it. If you do not need to display it, press the 3 dots on the right.

If you displayed the file, press on the 3 dots in the top right of the screen.

Scroll down the screen and select Download. A little tiny icon in the top left of the screen will show the download in progress. That puts the file in the Download folder on the iX12.

Next, work your way back to the main iX12 screen using the Square icon pulled from the right of the screen to jump to the main screen

Select the Spm AirWare icon. You can first kill Google Drive here by pressing the X on that icon.

At this point to speed things up, I turn off WiFi via the Sleep screen. Look earlier in the How To for instructions on how to do that.

To use the new photo, press on the existing photo.

Press on Pick an Image from the Gallery

Select Downloads from the Left "Open from" pull down list
The contents of the Download folder will be displayed.

Press on the photo you brought in with Google Drive.

That's it, your photo has been imported

If I am making a change to any model, I always select all my models and export them all into a new folder named the date I do it. So I have a long running history of changes in the models. It has saved me from messes I have created a few times.

This is how I use Google Drive. I'm sure there is a more efficient or faster method. If you have any suggestions let me know and I may incorporate them into this.

I have an iX20 on back order. When I get it I will update this How To to include that. Hopefully it is the same. I know it has a camera so exporting photos to Google Drive may be of interest.

That's it.

Jim

P.S. -
iX12 - You can export just about any file to Google drive by using the ES File Explorer. Run ES File Explorer and locate your file. Then long press the file name. Choose More at the bottom right. Then choose Share. Then scroll to the bottom and select Save to Drive. Select the folder to save to in Google Drive and hit Save.

IX20 - You can export just about any file to Google drive by using the File Manager. Run the file manager and locate your file. Then long press the file name. Choose Share and it will let you pick Google Drive as a destination.
Last edited by oldsneakers; Oct 08, 2020 at 01:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2020, 04:10 PM
RC Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers
This is a mini How To on using Google Drive with an iX12 to Export models and Import models and model photos.
Thanks for this tutorial. I pay for the 200GB Plan on Google Drive for all my personal media and was manually moving them from my SD Card in the iX12 to my Google Drive on my PC.

Definitely setting this up, thank you.
Jun 13, 2020, 05:50 PM

Using Google Drive with the iX12

That is a great job. A lot of work went into producing it. Thanks.

Copying the telemetry log file out of the download folder using ES-file explorer to the google drive is another crazy one. Mine keeps saying I donít have permission. Maybe you can figure that one out. I gave up and use the SD for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by meowguy; Jun 14, 2020 at 07:11 AM.
Jun 14, 2020, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Mar 21, 2021, 05:57 PM
Awesome! Thanks!!
May 07, 2021, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowguy
That is a great job. A lot of work went into producing it. Thanks.

Copying the telemetry log file out of the download folder using ES-file explorer to the google drive is another crazy one. Mine keeps saying I donít have permission. Maybe you can figure that one out. I gave up and use the SD for that.

I had this same problem. Did you ever find out what was going on?

Quick Reply