This thread is privately moderated by Justapoke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 21, 2021, 10:54 AM

Controller with screen for the 2022

If you look closely, there's a switch. You can choose between Atti, vpu and gps mode. That's nice. You could utilize that for very nice 'floating shots'. You could let it kinda go with the wind while shooting.
Also nice for flying inside. Disable gps and you have drone for living room sessions, LOL.

I'm sure you can switch between those options in the app as well.

I like the build in screen. The downside is, no more screen recordings, which I consider to be important.
Last edited by simplemind; Sep 21, 2021 at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 21, 2021, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind
Do you fly rc helis? If not, I'd give you about 2 seconds till unpleasant touch down.

If you fly helis, I take it back, I'd give you 10 seconds then^^.
I had a few of those indoor heli toys, but had issues with them. Then I got a couple of those Syma X5 drones and had issues with them as well.

Then I got a Potensic GPS drone that did the flying for me and all was well. Then I found this drone the 2018 version and and I have been stuck on this one for two years.

I I ever got one of those expensive helicopters, It would be worthless in minutes.

Good work.
Sep 21, 2021, 08:29 PM
Quote:
If you look closely, there's a switch. You can choose between Atti, vpu and gps mode. That's nice. You could utilize that for very nice 'floating shots'. You could let it kinda go with the wind while shooting.
Also nice for flying inside. Disable gps and you have drone for living room sessions, LOL.

I'm sure you can switch between those options in the app as well.

I like the build in screen. The downside is, no more screen recordings, which I consider to be important.
You have very good eyes.
I enlarged the photo of new controller (as attached) to max. size.

At top center, there is Orange SW showing ATTI, VPU, GPS (from left to right).
I have been looking for this function as GPS blocker attached to 2018 ver. drone body is not controlable On an Off during the flight.

I do not plan to use this special controller so, I really hope FIMI Navi App can select ATTI/VPU/GPS as well as hoping ON/OFF of Remote ID transmission.

In the meantime, thanks to Justapoke who posted information of 2022 ver. in V. 1 thread with Banggood pre-order link.
I will copy Justapoke's post

Pre-order..
On Pre-order here already listed: Fimi x8 se 2022 2.4ghz 10km FPV

Shipping starts around October 7th - for now.

(Sure there will be a delay)

[Edit]
Note: The Pre-order will start on Sept.27th.
UNQUOTE

Glad to see spec of battery which is same as 2022 ver and seems compatible between 2018/2020/2022. i.e. 4500mAH, 51.3Wh, 11.4v, 270g.

Aiolosimport
Sep 22, 2021, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
I wonder how good (or bad) that screen will be visible in sunlight, if it has a very good screen it will be an expensive device.

One thing for sure, Fimi does design rather nice controllers

The "normal" X8 controller is still a winner in my opinion, small to transport while able to take a 8" tablet, and better stick location for ergonomics.
Sep 22, 2021, 02:32 AM
Yes that X8 RC is solid. Missing a few switches like that new one but also sports/normal. Knowing Fimi if that new switch makes it as a software switch in the 2022 app it likely won't be in the 2020 version...
Sep 22, 2021, 06:56 AM
I agree that the X8 RC has better ergonomics than most, but I'd like to see a flight mode switch. I realise that none of these controllers are designed with parabolic reflectors in mind, but you have to angle the antennae forwards to clear the sticks.

I like that the Fimi layout gives access to all the phone controls - by contrast, all of the controls are obscured by my Hubsan controller. But then the Hubsan controller also has a screen, which is really useful.

Being impatient, I value a controller that is quick to set up, and in that regard, having a built in screen is a significant time saver, but it must come at a price premium. For me, the most time consuming part of RC setup is fitting range extending accessories, but at least the drone can be acquiring sats during that time.
Sep 22, 2021, 01:46 PM

Still got ANY range?

On a beautiful early autumn day, I decided to check if she still has ANY range .
Battery is well used and I decided to fly to a little tower, heading east, into a 1 - 1, 5 m/s wind. Since I'm not a range flight pro like our 2 Doggs, of course I chickened out early, lol.
This little range flight was very spontaneous, nothing special.

Range is still there, antennas: Alfa Network.

Range flight (6 min 8 sec)
Sep 22, 2021, 02:43 PM
Nice flight! You returned a bit faster than optimum, perhaps, after you increased max speed to 16m/s, but flying manually, you don't waste any battery in the descent. Pretty good, considering you flew around the tower for a bit, it wasn't a pure out and back.
Sep 22, 2021, 04:08 PM
Quote:
On a beautiful early autumn day, I decided to check if she still has ANY range .
Battery is well used and I decided to fly to a little tower, heading east, into a 1 - 1, 5 m/s wind. Since I'm not a range flight pro like our 2 Doggs, of course I chickened out early, lol.
This little range flight was very spontaneous, nothing special.

Range is still there, antennas: Alfa Network.

https://youtu.be/uUO3i9ifMQg
Good safe range flight. Good choice to turn back.
I find the power meter takes some of the battery meter bar and makes it misleading, intuitively it feels that it should be linear and it is not.

Thought you were going to orbit the tower...
Sep 22, 2021, 04:22 PM
39% for 7.5k ?! Amazing, I've never even come close to that even for 4k ! Oh I see you had set the max speed at 11m/s, think I was close to that on my latest range flight but I was doing it manually with the default max speed so I must have wasted some power there.
Sep 23, 2021, 12:53 AM

Max. visibility at 1,518m with LED ON in Sunny Blue sky

Max. Visibility with 10000LM LED in partial cloudy condition was 2,838m D, 100m H as below link;
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7176

Today it was Sunny Blue sky and did same test to obtain;
LED OFF – Max. visibility 518m D, 60m H
LED ON – Max. visibility 1,518m D, 100m H

It was about half of visibility compared to partially clouded weather but I’m satisfied with 1,518m visibility in Sunny condition.

Time line is;
0:00 GPS Test
0:14 UAV Forecast
0:39 Sunny Blue sky
1:03 LED OFF
1:28 Take off
1:54 FPV Speed x2
2:54 max. visibility 518m D, 60m H – LED OFF
3:11 Auto RTH
3:19 LED ON
3:48 Take off
4:15 FPV Speed x2
6:05 Max. visibility 1,518m D, 100m H – LED ON
6:52 Auto RTH

FIMI X8 1518m Visibilty with 10000LM LED ON in Sunny Blue sky - Sep 23 (7 min 6 sec)

Aiolosimport
Sep 23, 2021, 02:34 AM

2018 ver. 1st battery can not be activated after 2.5 year with 135cycle

Tried to charge all 3 batteries for today’s visibility test but No. 1 battery – Prod. Dec 28 ’18 with 135cycle on Sep 13 – was not able to charge because no LED light on.

I have one over-discharged battery – No. 2 Prod. Feb 23 ’19 – over-discharged by 7,264m range flight on Jun 20 ’20.
If ribbon cable is removed from top cover connector, I may try to swap No. 2 top cover to No. 1 main body to see LEDs or SW can work or not.

Of course, even if No. 1 battery is recovered, I will not use for actual flight, just use test on the ground to avoid the risk.

Anyway, it would be appreciated if anyone can advise how to remove the connector.

Timeline is;
0:00 No. 4 battery Prod. Oct 6, ’19 – 67cycle on Sep 23, ‘21
0:35 No. 3 battery Prod. Jun 5, ’19 – 106cycle on Sep 23, ‘21
1:05 No. 1 battery Prod. Dec 28, ’18 – 135cyle on Sep 13, ‘21
1:18 No LED flashing
2:41 Try to activate No. 1 battery – did not work
3:00 No. 3 battery – activated
3:50 No. 4 battery – activated
4:37 Right No. 1 battery – didn’t work
4:46 Left No. 2 battery – Prod. Feb 23, ’19 over-discharged on Jun 20, ’20 – 64cycle
4:58 Unscrewed
5:01 Remove top cover
5:30 Close up connector of ribbon cable

FIMI X8 2018 ver. No. 1 battery can not be activated after 2.5year with 135 clycle - Sep 23 (6 min 17 sec)

Aiolosimport
Sep 23, 2021, 07:06 AM
I'd hope you can get well over 135 cycles from the battery - I have LiPos for my helis that have more than 200 cycles.

I recall some people seeing the same issue, and if I remember correctly, it was resolved simply by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery balance lead, without needing to do anything with the ribbon cable.
Sep 23, 2021, 11:39 AM
Lets hope the battery is not programmed to go south at exactly 135...
Sep 23, 2021, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat77
Lets hope the battery is not programmed to go south at exactly 135...
lol, I agree my friend. All good?

@all, I had a nice conversation with our friend acrobat77 which brings one question to the table:

Who of the active players here - silent readers can answer as well- IS COVID 19 VACCINATED? We don't need political discussions here but boys and girls, I really wanna know ..
Last edited by simplemind; Sep 23, 2021 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply