This thread is privately moderated by Justapoke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 27, 2020, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharps45
Went climbing this morning to look for lost drone. Going over flight log I could see approx. where it went and where it stopped. It actually only flew about 1,100 feet into the canyon before coming to an abrupt halt. No really obvious damage except for two props that had nicks in them. Took it home, inspected and tightened everything and tried to fly. Is very unstable, pitching from front to back, like a bucking horse. Changed out what props I had, still same thing. So what to try next? I've got the flight log and video being made to put up on you tube.
Wow, amazing that you found it!

I recently flew my learner GPS drone into a tree, and tho I can narrow the search down to a 50 yd area, I've yet to find it!

Chances are there could be internal damage, but it would make sense to go thru the usual calibrations. It will be interesting to see what values you see in the accelerometer screen. (Maintenance mode>Drone Body Sensor, also Gimbal Sensor and obviously check the flight log!)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2020, 02:19 PM

microSD card talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
Anybody else ordered the Netac Pro 64GB cards lately from BG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
Had better luck with Kodak - also from BG
I haven't tried Netac or Kodak because the CrystalDiskMark speed tests on Amazon for both appear sub-par to other options in the same price range. Specifically the random write speeds are typically sub-2MByte/s for these brands, while something like Lexar 633x U3 or 667x U3 actually beat the SanDisk Extreme Plus in most speeds, however slight. I have several of the Lexar 633x/667x, SanDisk Extreme/Ex Plus, Samsung Evo Plus/Select and the cheaper Lexar's beat them all, but not by much. I've bought the Lexar 128GB 667x U3 V30 A2's for as little as $16.50 USD on AliExpress from the 'Storage outlets Store' and 'Digital China Store'. But it seems the price has risen now to more like $20 USD or maybe $22 at Amazon. I got 2 from each as I wanted to mitigate the possibility of fakes. But I was pleasantly surprised that fake or not, these card are nearly top-of-the-line for UHS-1 microSD cards in CrystalDiskMark testing anyway. BTW, the 128GB Lexar 633x U3 V30 A1 is still around $17 USD on Ali, and that's the only card I've used so far in the X8 SE 2020; plenty fast; shown below. Just make sure you check closely for the U3 V30 version because the slower/inadequate U1 V10 versions are similarly pricesd and look almost identical.
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jun 28, 2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: links
Jun 27, 2020, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Went climbing this morning to look for lost drone. Going over flight log I could see approx. where it went and where it stopped. It actually only flew about 1,100 feet into the canyon before coming to an abrupt halt. No really obvious damage except for two props that had nicks in them. Took it home, inspected and tightened everything and tried to fly. Is very unstable, pitching from front to back, like a bucking horse. Changed out what props I had, still same thing. So what to try next? I've got the flight log and video being made to put up on you tube.
Wow! That's so great you found it! Looks like a treacherous hike. And good to know the Flight Log function helped you "find my Drone' because I had mentioned that utility in an edit to my discussion with Axefly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfromheaven
[...]

The nice thing about DJI's 'Find my Drone' feature is that it turns those coordinates into a spot on a map even after disconnect, so you don't have to plug in the coordinates into google maps manually to get a lay of the land for drone recovery purposes.

[EDIT] Actually you don't have to plug coordinated into Google to find your drone with the Fimi, because you have a full Flight Log with playback in the field right on your phone/device. So depending on your perspective, Fimi's in-app Flight Playback function is significantly more sophisticated than DJI's relatively minimalistic 'Find My Drone' functionality since Flight Log playback offers much more data in addition to a map that could be more helpful when pursuing a downed drone in the moment.

Jun 27, 2020, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Maybe try a compas calibration? Never hurts, especially after a crash.
Jun 27, 2020, 03:52 PM
Quote:

Fimi X8 SE 2020 Crash! (8 min 9 sec)

Video from flight and screen recording of flight log. Sorry about size of screenshot rendering, don't know how to make it bigger. Video- 0-:45 last leg of flying before losing control. :45 -1:04 video of crash. Wondering about this segment, because the previous two legs of the flight were recording forwards and backwards; so was this one but no video saved until the very last after it was out of detection. Wondering if it tried RTH to get into the bush at the end. 1:05 - 7:08 screen recording of flight log. I'm 99% certain I wasn't mashing that right control stick in reverse hard enough to attain those speeds- I was recording to test video quality after all. 7:08 - 7:52 flight at home testing out drone- pronounced fore and aft wobble but gimbal handled it pretty well. 7:53 cell phone video of wobble.
Tightened everything on the drone (nothing was loose) replaced the two slightly damaged props with the right props, still wobbling. How to balance the engines if that's the issue. I don't have any more props to replace the two undamaged ones - they're still on the proverbial slow boat from China since April 19th.
Anyway, any advice?
Last edited by sharps45; Jun 27, 2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot youtube address.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:00 PM
My screen recorder makes big black borders like that too, I crop in resolve. Good lucky with your Fimi, do the motors spin freely? Maybe you can take the props off and power up and see if one or more motors sounds bad or different from the rest.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:00 PM
Thread OP

Fake Netac test results

Quote:
2Doggs: Did you test them with anything like Crystal Diskmark7? It would be interesting to know how bad fake cards are.
No I did not - but yes I have done so now

Not really scientific - I have just installed CD7 and not sure if my USB3 cardreader is top notch etc.
I also dit not format the cards, so it's just a quick test.

The fake cards are giving poor results, as was to expected.

While I was at it I've done a few other cards as well.
Also interesting was my new Fimi Palm (that I just updated the firmware on) appears to have a problem with the Netac but does fine on the Kodak.
The Sandisk Extreme gives best results for me, the EVO is not bad looking at the speed but does not function in the X8 and has problems with other cams as well.

I also never know how to do screenshots in windows so excuse the screen photos.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:08 PM
screen shot, just press print screen button on your keyboard. If you are using a laptop keyboard you'll probably have to press a function key and find the key with print screen written real small. The screen shot will be on your clipboard, just paste it into paint or your favorite image program and save.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunac
Does one exists that poses this dron anyway ? The name of the thread cantains "owners".
Sunac: kind request here.

Not sure what you are up to but if I see more of these kind of posts that makes no sense (at least to me as none native English) I'll be happy to go ahead and delete them?
Jun 27, 2020, 04:39 PM
Quote:
At sharps45: Please go try canyoning next time with DJI and report results lol
Quote:
Your screen recorder is acting badly. LMAO
Quote:
Does one exists that poses this dron anyway ? The name of the thread cantains "owners".
Quote:
DJI prefers SanDisk Extreme microSD Card ?
do you have anything useful to say, or are you just trolling ?
Jun 27, 2020, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
screen shot, just press print screen button on your keyboard. If you are using a laptop keyboard you'll probably have to press a function key and find the key with print screen written real small. The screen shot will be on your clipboard, just paste it into paint or your favorite image program and save.
Yeah I googled it but I can't find the prtscr key on my Xiaomi MIIW keyboards I use on both Mac and Windows

I'm more a Mac user and know all shortcuts there.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:41 PM
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSQD...ature=youtu.be

Video from flight and screen recording of flight log. Sorry about size of screenshot rendering, don't know how to make it bigger. Video- 0-:45 last leg of flying before losing control. :45 -1:04 video of crash. Wondering about this segment, because the previous two legs of the flight were recording forwards and backwards; so was this one but no video saved until the very last after it was out of detection. Wondering if it tried RTH to get into the bush at the end. 1:05 - 7:08 screen recording of flight log. I'm 99% certain I wasn't mashing that right control stick in reverse hard enough to attain those speeds- I was recording to test video quality after all. 7:08 - 7:52 flight at home testing out drone- pronounced fore and aft wobble but gimbal handled it pretty well. 7:53 cell phone video of wobble.
Tightened everything on the drone (nothing was loose) replaced the two slightly damaged props with the right props, still wobbling. How to balance the engines if that's the issue. I don't have any more props to replace the two undamaged ones - they're still on the proverbial slow boat from China since April 19th.
Anyway, any advice?
Well, it looks like the drone was reporting 'GPS mode' the entire time. Although the 'System Preparing' message flashing every few seconds is quite concerning. That's something to come in for a landing and reboot when encountered. So that likely played a role. The sticks show large down and reverse inputs, with corresponding 6mph drop in altitude and 36mph horizontal speed, as the drone passes over your position and into the rising terrain. That continues right up to a split-second 'disconnect' at 6:36 on the vid. Then we see GPS mode again for 15 seconds with no horizontal movement but some slight down stick commanding a negative 1mph descent. In the last moment the drone moved slowly into a small tree perhaps in RTH as if invoked from above RTH altitude. And finally a full disconnect as the drone tumbles to the ground.

As I recall Aiolosimport encountered or discussed that 'System Preparing' message on one of his flights...? I would definitely get Fimi's take on the drone/flight log data.

[UPDATE] Evidently, it's possible/probable that the 'System Preparing' message is isolated to the Flight Log playback system alone and not necessarily a message displayed on the FPV screen during flight. And it could be that the message is completely bogus in the context of the Flight Log alone. Awaiting more details from sharps45 and Fimi on this.
Last edited by wingsfromheaven; Jun 28, 2020 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Updated info from Aiolosimport on 'System Preparing' msg
Jun 27, 2020, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garysnr
do you have anything useful to say, or are you just trolling ?
Yeah I don't get it either, I'm going to delete all those posts, not giving Sunac a ban yet maybe he just had a bad day
Jun 27, 2020, 04:49 PM
It's a fair question to ask if you should be an owner to post in this thread or if everyone here are owners, I'd say no in both cases but not my thread.

As posted it didn't seem like a friendly question.
Jun 27, 2020, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsfromheaven
As I've mentioned, the GPS reception on the X8 SE is much stronger than my M2P, as evidenced by the loss of GPS signal by simply turning on my 360-cam mounted on the drone. But that doesn't mean that Fimi is handling the GPS signal sufficiently in firmware. There's certainly a glitch somewhere that invokes VPU mode prematurely it seems. Like Aiolosimport, I haven't experienced this switching that I've noticed while airborne. But that's probably because I'm not looking that closely. This is evidently something that should be of the highest priority at Fimi, because any prolonged switching to ATTI mode (or VPU at lower altitudes) is dangerous and unacceptable. I'm guessing it's a matter of a long branch in the procedural code that causes the GPS monitoring software to time-out and switch to ATTI. It takes some time and talent to track down that type of glitch. But Fimi seems to have tracked down a similar glitch in the SD card write speed warning that's apparently been refined and eliminated in the X8 SE 2020.

I know most folks are practicing 'WiFi distancing to stop the spread of range reductions' but I'll simply mention that Airplane mode doesn't always disable WiFi or Bluetooth depending on the settings. And any Bluetooth wearables might also be causing range reduction. Otherwise, it's tough to judge range because it changes by the day, unless you have a chance to fly multiple drones back-to-back on the same day and conditions. Not sayin' the X8 SE in CE mode should do any better, but the TDMA is inherently superior to even the 'enhanced WiFi' protocol used by DJI in the Mavic Air. So I would expect the X8 SE to exceed both the Anafi and Mavic Air in most range testing. Obviously the MP1 has OcuSync 1.0 so that's likely superior to the mere TDMA used by the X8 SE 2020, but that might still require back-to-back testing to confirm.

I don't think that has anything to do with VPU unless you were flying under 30m above the trees. And even that shouldn't have an effect on the flight path in RTH mode. That's a bit odd unless the wind was so strong that the X8 SE couldn't even stay on track due to extreme cross-winds. Weird.

I'm not a fan of the gimbal-yaw inertia ('gimbal smoothing') in the current X8 SE 2020 firmware. Let's hope they fix that, perhaps to match the gimbal smoothing in the X8 SE 2018 version. But make no mistake, because EXPO and braking distance are completely separate. Those affect the flight control characteristics of the drone itself, while the gimbal smoothing algorithm affects only the gimbal. As I've mentioned before, I would hate to hear about a crash when flying in close-proximity to objects because someone tried to use EXPO and/or braking control to influence the gimbal smoothing algorithm. They might be tied together somehow, but I wouldn't risk the drone trying to find out.

Yes. Wow. The horizon-tilt issue even affects Pano. And the GPS issue as well. I'll definitely be looking for the GPS/VPU/ATTI cycling in future flights because I'd like to know if that's a systemic issue or isolated to a loose ribbon cable as a matter of quality control. Aiolosimport keeps close tabs on this flights and has reportedly only encountered ATTI/VPU mode once for a short duration in almost 600 flights, at least when he wasn't forcing the issue with GPS blocking mesh and such.

One of the main reasons I bough this drone was to fly my One-X 360-cam. I even flew it on the maiden flight of my X8 SE 2018. I tried some 3D print options for my M2P before resorting to what I found to be a much better and more flexible mounting option using a standard tripod mount screw pressed through a hole in a reinforced nylon strap.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I wonder if my 2020 doesn't have some kind of GPS issue if no one else is seeing the frequent switch to VPU in the top center of the screen and the warning message top left along the lines of "can't enter GPS mode". It doesn't really make sense when there are 8+ satellites in the fix and there are no obstacles around. If it's software related that would indeed need to be addressed rather quickly as not being in "GPS Mode" when RTH kicks in would make for a potential disaster.

I wonder if the Flight Logs would have any info about GPS reception, you'd think they would if they have to troubleshoot a flyaway. When I replay the logs I can see that message pop up, with the GPS icon going yellow with the number of stats is 12 or less and white when it's 13 or more. The message seems to pop up with 10 or less GPS satellites which should still provide a perfectly accurate position...The Kp factor seemed ok for today too https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/planetary-k-index

Here are the brackets I found and had printed https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3713687 they look pretty sturdy but I won't be mounting my Xiaomi Mijia on it until that GPS issue gets solved !

As for the "drunken RTH" I was possibly less than 30 meters above trees so it might have been correcting itself with VPU. The wind was strong but since it was not swerving when being flown it can't have been an issue.
Last edited by webvan; Jun 27, 2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply