Sep 17, 2020, 09:26 PM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
These are really fun boats to run!got a good speed run in she runs 62mph on 4s.and luckyly it's tuff too!!can't wait to get a second one.i would like too get a carbon fiber one but the only place I can find one is threw tfl North America(total crook).any body got a link too one?😁✌
tfl Popeye survive's 2 60mph crashes(tuff lil bugger)😜🇺🇸 (8 min 29 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2020, 11:49 PM
rc nut in az
Man I been waiting for ose to get some in stock for months now!!
Sep 20, 2020, 01:20 AM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Hi there Craycray
Firstly, I'm glad to see that you are happy with the 4s setup. The Y547 is a favorite prop of mine on this size boat with that sort of power plant in it.

Next. You mentioned at the start of the video that it was too windy. Man. That was dead calm to some of the conditions that we race in sometimes. In fact, I would say that, that slight ripple on the water was perfect for running boats.
Dead calm water is too 'sticky' for top speed runs. It sucks the speed out of the boat.

A copuple of points on the turn fin.
The first flip that occured is because the turn fin that comes with the Popeye is too small for the power upgrades & speed that you have, to keep it from lifting in turns at full noise.

If you read through sme of the threads on the Popeye, you will see that the UL-1 turn fin, or the Zip Kits .21 rigger turn fin work well on this size hydro with this sort of power in it. The new Proboat UL-19 turn fin might also be a good candidate too. Maybe try one of them.
Trust me. There is nothing more thrilling than throwing a hydroplane into a turn at full noise knowing that it will come out the other side of the turn fast and furious.

The second flip I saw in your video, was the classic left turn at full speed.
Nearly all hydros will trip over the turn fin when you do that.
Hydro rule #1. Never turn left at full speed!!!

I am glad to see that you have the boat running nice and loose, but without the tendancy to want to do a backflip off the water. Seems to be nicely balanced with a good strut depth and angle setup.
Just needs a slightly bigger turn fin.

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/p...plane-turn-fin

https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=228

https://www.lprcs.com/hydro-turn-fin-2mm-cnc-black-an

Cheers.
Paul.
Last edited by 785boats; Sep 20, 2020 at 01:39 AM.
Sep 20, 2020, 09:26 AM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats
Hi there Craycray
Firstly, I'm glad to see that you are happy with the 4s setup. The Y547 is a favorite prop of mine on this size boat with that sort of power plant in it.

Next. You mentioned at the start of the video that it was too windy. Man. That was dead calm to some of the conditions that we race in sometimes. In fact, I would say that, that slight ripple on the water was perfect for running boats.
Dead calm water is too 'sticky' for top speed runs. It sucks the speed out of the boat.

A copuple of points on the turn fin.
The first flip that occured is because the turn fin that comes with the Popeye is too small for the power upgrades & speed that you have, to keep it from lifting in turns at full noise.

If you read through sme of the threads on the Popeye, you will see that the UL-1 turn fin, or the Zip Kits .21 rigger turn fin work well on this size hydro with this sort of power in it. The new Proboat UL-19 turn fin might also be a good candidate too. Maybe try one of them.
Trust me. There is nothing more thrilling than throwing a hydroplane into a turn at full noise knowing that it will come out the other side of the turn fast and furious.

The second flip I saw in your video, was the classic left turn at full speed.
Nearly all hydros will trip over the turn fin when you do that.
Hydro rule #1. Never turn left at full speed!!!

I am glad to see that you have the boat running nice and loose, but without the tendancy to want to do a backflip off the water. Seems to be nicely balanced with a good strut depth and angle setup.
Just needs a slightly bigger turn fin.

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/p...plane-turn-fin

https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=228

https://www.lprcs.com/hydro-turn-fin-2mm-cnc-black-an

Cheers.
Paul.
Thanks Paul I will definitely order some new turn fins I will probably order two or three different ones and experiment. I can't wait to get a second one so I can race with my nephew, should be a good time. Thanks for the pointers Paul I really appreciate it and you're right that 547 is perfect for that boat it don't need to go no faster than that😏✌
Sep 20, 2020, 01:41 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
No worries.
But I gave you the link to the wrong turn fin from Zipkits.
It should have been for the .12 rigger not the .21
This one.
https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=227

Cheers.
Sep 20, 2020, 03:58 PM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats
No worries.
But I gave you the link to the wrong turn fin from Zipkits.
It should have been for the .12 rigger not the .21
This one.
https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=227

Cheers.
Damn....i wish I would have held off a while😔I ordered the two you sent links too this morning .owell 25 bucks ain't nothing.i will order this smaller one too.thanks✌
Sep 20, 2020, 07:07 PM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
Well....i guess I will just have to buy n build a rigger to put that turn fin on😏.this should keep me occupied this winter.my next step in the hobbies is to build my own anyways😁 site says I can run a 4082 in it.so.....thanks Paul you totally inspired my desire to build one!
Nov 24, 2020, 07:59 PM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
These are finally in stock!!!Steve over at offshoreelectrics.com just got the mother load.check it out😳rc boats have been scarce all year and finally all the cool stuff is available.i just ordered one of the carbon fiber zonda's.if I wasn't already in the dog house I would order another Popeye too😔.she's pissed cause I already have a zonda,she just don't realize that the carbon fiber ones are few and far between and that I settled for the fiberglass one cause I could only drool over this one.she will get over it😂😂
Dec 04, 2020, 11:49 AM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
Offshore electric has four of these suckers in stock right now! dang I wish I had the money to get another one $$$they got two green ones ayellow and blue one and one of the new white and red ones!
Dec 08, 2020, 11:02 AM
Bret Martin

Leak

Mine blew grease out the shaft and sprayed around the inside if the boat. Also leaked water. I shrink wrapped the front of the strut and forward about 3" up the brass tube. No more water inside and no grease spraying around the inside.
Jan 19, 2021, 06:36 PM

Leak

I just received one of the Popeye hydros from OSE about three weeks ago. Ive only taken it out twice. I also have the upgraded cable from OSE and I have the same problem with the grease mess after each run. Could u show me some pictures of how u fixed the problem with the shrink wrap? Other than that I have no complaints about this boat. I replaced the stock 3660 with an SSS 3682 2600 kv. So much faster but still hasnt taken flight. Very pleased with this boat so far.
Jan 20, 2021, 12:30 PM
Miss g 36/tfl ariane
Thread OP
Take the Teflon liner out and wrap plumbers Teflon tape around liner until it fits tight in the tube.make at least three spots.as for grease getting in? I don't think there is a way to keep that from happening....they spin 35thousand rpms.i guess try wiping as much off as you can before spinning.good luck✌

Quick Reply