New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by thermaled
built flown + crashed it
Build Log

Jart build in UK

I have read the threads, seen the vid`s, gotta have one. Really like the idea of doing a build thread, usually i build and fly on my own, so miss out on feedback and encouragement. Hope its not one jart build too many for you all, but i need your encouragement to keep the project moving, so all feedback welcome.
I haven`t got any cad stuff, i build on a budget so downloaded the pdf file from reed`s site and got the wallpaper, ruler and pencil out.
Design wise, i have made the fuz 50mm wide at its widest point, i think the original is wider, but that is the thickness of my foam, looks ok to me.Apart from that, and maybe some small variations in the outline where i havent scaled it up exactly i expect, i will go for a standart version with probably a lighter wing loading as i tend to fly off hills rather than mountains.
Last edited by thermaled; Dec 23, 2005 at 05:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Excellent!!! I'm sure we're all Looking forward to watching another of these beauties take shape!!

Look out for a "JART in Sweden" thread starting before too long.... Who'll fly first?

N.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by target
Detail Freak
It'll be nice if Reed makes a mold to offer fuses for sale. I'll be one of the first customers!

T
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:06 PM
built flown + crashed it
Hi Target,
i think Reed wants it to be an exclusive owners club, he who makes one owns one, no selling i am afraid. Mine is gonna come from a mold though, which brings me nicely to the question about mold materials. I have only made them from polyester so far, they are a bit fragile round the edges when i pull parts, if made from epoxy i presume they are much tougher but is it worth it? I am probably only going to make 5 or 6. Of course it is accident dependant, but how many Jart`s does one man need?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:18 PM
built flown + crashed it
Got the fuz just about shaped, i make my plugs from foam, 4oz glass and lots of elbow work. No bandsaw, foam is cheap and i have plenty. Need to make up my wing and tail templates this evening.
Cant stop looking at it, such a gorgeous shape, power to you Reed.

Ps all work done so far with a saw and sandpaper glued on a block. You dont need expensive tools, just desire and effort.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
You must die! I alone am best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermaled
i tend to fly off hills rather than mountains.

Whats that got to do with anything?

I fly my Rodent of 'Hills' all the time. And Reed sure as hell isn't up a mountain in any of his videos!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Have a gander at the "Yak attack" video on Reed's page... For me, looking DOWN onto 3 Yak 52's while they play around makes the hill look kinda big.

I know what thermalled means. Reed's launch technique would see any plane of mine burried in the ground and out of the lift before redd even thinks of pulling up. I also fly on small hills. The moors around Huddersfield and the dam up at Shipley make the swedish coastline look positively mole-hillish. I'd imagine that andover hasn't got so much to offer either.

The advangtage of building a JART using a mould will be the ability to layer up a light yet strong Fus... I for one look forward to seeing Thermaled's results.. as I started cutting the blanks for my mould Plug yesterday...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
You must die! I alone am best.
About the most fun I ever had with the Rodent fully ballasted (8lb AUW) was on a 20ft coastal cliff in 40mph winds. Silky smooth air and massive halfpipes. Had me wishing I could ballast it even more!
All I'm saying is that you don't need a mountain to get the best out of a model like the Jart. You just have to be smart with what you've got. In my experience there is no substitute for wing loading in a model of this ilk to get the best from them. It's not a toy for light and scratchy days so why build it so?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by 1 zipper
If its blown Im slop'n

Jarts galoure!!!

Well it now starting to roll a long with Jarts taking of all around the world
Reed will be most inpressed as long as No one sells any of them!!!!
I for one would like to be one of only a hand full of people to have one.
Slopetrashuk is right this is a plane for those days when the lift is at its best, when you have big sky to play with . My only concern is landing on our smaller landing zones so it will be set up with flaps or air brakes!!

Rick.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:02 PM
built flown + crashed it
I take you point Slopetrash, i can mess about with the loading when i lay up the fuz and glass the wings, plenty of time to think about it.
I was initially thinking about 18oz loading, built with lots of carbon so i can really ballast it up when the wind really blows, i will put a big ballast tube in it. Should get it up to 30oz loading or so.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:05 PM
built flown + crashed it
What loading have you built your Jart with 1Zipper? and how much ballast will it carry as it is all carbon?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by 1 zipper
If its blown Im slop'n
3 jart threads in a row!!!!!
Last edited by 1 zipper; Apr 24, 2005 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by Reed
Vitruvian JART
Great to see the builders coming out of the woodworks!

That's no slight to those who don't have a good situation for building or who would just rather not, but the Jart was designed to be a super-simple build and it's good to see a few guys give it a shot.

Have at it, thermaled, it's fun to watch. And if I can be of any help as you go along, let me know.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 02:35 AM
Find More Posts by Reed
Vitruvian JART
So far everyone has been very understanding about this and I really appreciate it. It doesn't mean I'll never sell any but in the meantime I'd rather no one else sold any, and I like the idea that only those who put the effort into scratch-building them get to fly them. It may not always be that way, but those building Jarts now are certainly a discriminating vanguard. I hope the design lives up to your expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermaled
i think Reed wants it to be an exclusive owners club, he who makes one owns one, no selling i am afraid.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
[QUOTE=Reed]Great to see the builders coming out of the woodworks!

but the Jart was designed to be a super-simple build and it's good to see a few guys give it a shot.

Simple but time consuming, which makes it all worth wile.
Oh and I wouldn't want to sell it after all that work.
Glenn