Jun 10, 2020, 04:27 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Discussion

First Foam Board Build...Cessna 337.

Iím in the middle of making my first foam board build. I jumped in a little deeper than I probably should have. But, Iíve always like the Skymaster. So, when I saw Timmyís build on Flite Test, I decided to give it a shot.

All but finished the wing today. Still need to connect control surfaces.
Last edited by Cobra1365; Jun 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2020, 04:50 PM
Cobra1365
That looks very neat.
Twin motors in line with counter rotating props does have significant advantages.
My own Depron one flew very well and it was nice to know that full power could be applied even right at the stall without any torque effect.
Jun 10, 2020, 04:55 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Iím looking forward to flying it. With shipping delayed on my P47, I wanted something to fly besides my Cub.

This will be a 60Ē span.

Dual 2215/09s with 3 s 2800 spinning 9x6 props. I think sheíll do ok.

Iím going to add the gear from the Hobby Zone Cirrus. Steerable nose gear. Going to add a little weight. But, the foam board is so light....

What power setup did you use?
Jun 20, 2020, 10:33 AM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Getting a little closer. Wrestling with best way to wire together the two ESCs given the space I have to work with and where the battery sits. I may modify the battery location to just forward of the wing saddle thru Former 5.
Jun 23, 2020, 04:54 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
95% done.

Poster board for the top of the cabin did not lay down as nice as I wanted. Will likely trim out some window frames in Red.

Still need to adjust all the control surfaces.

Steerable nose gear is giving me fits! Iím about two seconds away from pulling it and putting in a fixed nose gear.
Jun 24, 2020, 10:05 AM
Beautiful skymaster! Congratulations

Long time ago I made a my own version of the skymaster but lot more simplified than yours (single pusher motor) and it was a really good flyer even with its KF2 wing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2-skymaster-EB

I hope to see your plane in the sky soon

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Jun 26, 2020, 06:22 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo
Beautiful skymaster! Congratulations

Long time ago I made a my own version of the skymaster but lot more simplified than yours (single pusher motor) and it was a really good flyer even with its KF2 wing.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2-skymaster-EB

I hope to see your plane in the sky soon

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Nice!

My wife suggested I make mine match the rest of my Texaco Collection...

I also finally ditched the steerable nose gear and went with a fixed nose gear.

Also had to add some weight to the nose. I think the main gear thru the CG aft. Even with a 3s 2800 Venom pushed as far forward as possible, it was tail heavy.

Now, I need to tweak the Admiral RX and Iíll be ready to maiden!
Jun 28, 2020, 07:35 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Maidened the 337 today. It really wanted to pitch over on me even with almost full up trim. I feel like the horizontal stab angle of incidence may be off. CG balanced spot on according to plans.

https://youtu.be/jCF2EEsTnNs
Jul 01, 2020, 05:37 PM
Retired USAF
Thread OP
Second flite went a little better. But, this time she wanted to roll hard left. Landed to find the left aileron control horn had separated! Only got the one flight in before the winds went out of limits and Mr. Farmer Man showed up to tend his crops (I wonít fly over him when heís in the field).

Today, I tried again. Takeoff was nice and smooth. She still want to roll left a bit...not as bad. Slight pitch down.
brought it by for a low approach to see if we could get a better look. As I was climbing back out, I dont think I got enough throttle in before, what my eyes thought, was going to be an issue with the trees. I pitched up, but got into a stall right where we have the worst wind shear at our field. The resultant loss of control and gust of gravity took her straight in. I found out the hard way that she drops a wing when she stalls!

Both tail booms sheared off just forward of horizontal stab. Power pod/firewall sheared off. Rear motor dislodged. Nose gear broke off. Ego severely bruised!

One thing I noticed...the way she flies, she has a nose (fuselage) down attitude even though the wing is level. So, Iím thinking the incidence is incorrect.

Back to Dollar Tree

Quick Reply