Jun 10, 2020, 04:17 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Fly-In

B.E.S.T. 2020 (Best Electrics in South Texas) / Date & Field TBD

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! All you BEST fans!!!

Update 06/10/2020:

Sadly, it appears Tri-County Barnstormers is unable to host the event this year. I have taken the reins of BEST and working to find a place & date to host it for 2020.

I've attended BEST for the last 16 years and, after all the crap 2020 has dealt us, I think cancelling this event would be a terrible shame. We all need to get out and hang out with some of the best electric builders and flyers that Texas (and a few other states) have to offer!

We were excited when we thought Bomber Field (bomberfieldusa.com) in Monaville, Texas might allow us to use their field but we are hearing news that it might not be feasible. I have reached out again to their board and hope to have an answer by this weekend.

But, there is some good news! I have spoken to the president of our club at Northwest Houston RC (nwrcc.com) and he has reacted very positively to host it there if the Bomber Field request falls through. Our field does not have all the luxury items of Tri-County Barnstormers and Bomber Field, but I know we'd do our best to accommodate everyone willing to make the trip.

We're shooting for a date at the end of September or early October. My choice would be October 3rd but that all depends on the field we end up using. Another change is to make BEST a one-day, Saturday event - "The BEST day EVER!" all electric fly-in.

Please SUBSCRIBE to this thread and feel free to chime in with questions & comments. Once we have firm plans set, I'll shove all this text down and put all the event details at the top. Cross your fingers to continue our great BEST tradition!!

-Lee / RC Roundtable Podcast

Friendly reminder of BEST from year's past...

How popular/fun is BEST? Here are the past RCG BEST threads:[/SIZE][/COLOR]

B.E.S.T. 2019
B.E.S.T. 2018
B.E.S.T. 2017
B.E.S.T. 2016
B.E.S.T. 2015

B.E.S.T. 2014
B.E.S.T. 2013
B.E.S.T. 2012
B.E.S.T. 2011
B.E.S.T. 2010
B.E.S.T. 2009
B.E.S.T. 2008
B.E.S.T. 2007
B.E.S.T. 2006
B.E.S.T. 2005
B.E.S.T. 2004
Last edited by YarSmythe; Jun 10, 2020 at 10:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2020, 04:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I will be there, wherever it is!!!!
Jun 10, 2020, 07:05 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
one day event kills it, for me.
too much driving and hotel expense.
Jun 10, 2020, 07:48 PM
EDF rules... :)
I will be there. I will have to get something that will work off grass.

Cheers, Eric B.
Jun 10, 2020, 08:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
It will be at least a 2 day event. Oct 3 is the weekend they want to get.

There has been some discussion about making it a Friday/Saturday event, or keeping it a Saturday/ Sunday event.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Would sure like to have it happen at Bomber Field, if the club there can be convinced. A paved runway would great for EDFs and models with small wheels. But, will go wherever the event is held!
Jun 10, 2020, 10:32 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
We're trying to work on that. IF we can't get Bomber, the option for Friday thru Sunday might be possible. Right now, we want to sanction the event for one day only but leave the other two days as "setting up camp" & "getting the hell outta Dodge".
Latest blog entry: For your viewing pleasure
Jun 12, 2020, 12:33 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Standing by with fingers crossed.
Last edited by xplaneguy; Jun 13, 2020 at 10:52 AM.
Jun 15, 2020, 12:26 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
I'm making a call today that could decide whether Bomber or Northwest Houston RC will be our field for BEST. Stay tuned.

While I have your attention: What changes, improvements, amenities, raffle prizes, etc. would you like to see at BEST 2020? Can't promise anything but, since I'm offering to run this sucker, I could submit ideas to the club.
Jun 16, 2020, 10:57 PM
Modeling Retread
Oct 3rd sounds good to me. You can remind our cute Dist VIII contest coordinator that it’s the traditional date for the event. I think it’s OK to have one official day, as long as the field is open on Friday for arrivals, setups and maidens.

I understand NW is a grass field. At our former field (that was grass), we made a runway for small wheeled models out of coroplast. You’ll be able to get a bunch free after the July run off elections (remember, only take the losers). Outside of the event, you can have a lot of good practice trying to land any size plane on the plastic runway.
Jun 18, 2020, 04:16 PM
I'm planning on being there Lee
Jun 19, 2020, 03:16 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
The call came today that Bomber Field is NOT an option for BEST. So, I placed a call to the board for Northwest Houston RC to see if they’ll host it. I’ll update you when I get an answer and plans can be made. For now, I’m recommending October 3rd as the date.

Update 06/21/20: I have a meeting with the Northwest Houston RC board members on the 23rd. If we can work out all the details in order to support 40-50 pilots and hopefully 50+ guests, I think we'll have our location and date set. Stay tuned!!

Feel free to post and comments or questions. I know we all want to do our best to make this a fun & safe event for everyone to enjoy.

-Lee
Last edited by YarSmythe; Jun 21, 2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Update
Jun 25, 2020, 01:30 PM
Lee / RC Enthusiast
Thread OP
More bad news fellas. I got word yesterday that our club will NOT host BEST. Strike 3.

I've been given a list of other R/C fields to contact but I'm not very hopeful. I'm in the dump about all this so give me a few days to see if I can shoot a bit more life into this wonderful flying event before I have to close the thread.

I'm terribly sorry. Losing BEST is the final nail in the coffin for me and dealing with "2020". (but then there's that damn November election. Blegh)

Instead of tearing down statues, changing the names of buildings, and giving in to insane demands...maybe we can ALL agree to forget the year "2020" and never mention it in public ever again.

Fly on my friends.
Jun 25, 2020, 03:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Hang in there, Lee. I still bet that something can be worked out somewhere.

Talk soon.
Jun 25, 2020, 03:58 PM
Modeling Retread
Sad news... I only got to go once and was really looking forward to coming again...

Hmmm... Scobee?

How about a non-club site? Your big into the boy scouts. Do they have any property that could be used? Know anybody that has their own runway? High School Football Stadium Parking Lot (away game weekend). The big open field where Astroworld used to be?
Jun 25, 2020, 06:50 PM
Electric Coolhunter
As much as I want to go to Best, I would likely pass if it were at Scobee. The layout of the parking lot and pit area in relation to the runway is the worst I have ever seen and I have visited a LOT of RC Fields all over the US.

I would rather fly off a parking lot somewhere.

Quick Reply