Horizon Hobby - Behind The Innovation: The Timber Airplane Design

Take a Behind The Innovation look at one of the most popular radio controlled model aircraft design series of recent times!

Splash

Behind The Innovation: The Timber Airplane Design

I have been lucky enough to be aware of, and know Matt Andren for many years. Maybe it was working at Hobby Lobby that allowed me to realize quickly how much Matt gave to the hobby. It became clear based on threads on RCGroups that the Timber was the new Cub of RC. On a personal note, Matt is a very down-to-earth, friendly, and engaging person that is an RC enthusiast like all of us. He just happens to create great RC designs that propel our hobby forward.

Watch the Video

I wanted to share this great video about Matt and his flight obsession. The video gives you a look behind the curtain on the creation of the Timber. This airplane is a favorite for all types of RC pilots. From the micro to the Timber X, it covers a lot of ground!

Horizon Hobby Behind The Innovation: The Timber Airplane (16 min 1 sec)

Jun 05, 2020, 10:05 AM
Aeronautical Research Flyer
Timber Bipe?
Jun 05, 2020, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
Bipes are nice.
Jun 05, 2020, 11:28 AM
Would have been nice if they'd put some effort into making the battery door not be on the bottom. I have the original and the Turbo Timber. The battery situation is the only thing that lets down an otherwise exceptional model.
Jun 05, 2020, 12:08 PM
Itís good that all the new models are on 4S.
Additional power is needed in windy conditions.
Normally a rc plane should be very light weight.
But more weight combined with much more power is better in strong wind gusts.
On a helicopter you just increase the RPM on such days.
I think EFlite focuses too much on AS3X SAFE. The PNP version is not much cheaper.
MotionRC offers for example optional gyro upgrades as Admiral StabPlus or HobbyEagle Super A3.
(I personally think that Eagletree Guardian is best).
These other gyros can much easier be setup. AS3X SAFE is very difficult to program or to change.
All in all the Timber planes are good, I just donít use AS3X SAFE and personally think, that the Eagletree Guardian is the best ( beginner to 3D pilot).
Jun 05, 2020, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury
Would have been nice if they'd put some effort into making the battery door not be on the bottom. I have the original and the Turbo Timber. The battery situation is the only thing that lets down an otherwise exceptional model.
Exactly why I like my Clipped Wing Cub more than the Timber!
Jun 05, 2020, 01:08 PM
There's always some compromising when buying a RC plane.

I like my CWC a lot, but like a plane with flaps even more, so I'm good with bottom mounted batteries on both my Valiant 1.3 & Timber X.
Would love to see a UMX Valiant.
Jun 05, 2020, 03:46 PM
Aeronautical Research Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumi
It’s good that all the new models are on 4S.
Additional power is needed in windy conditions.
Normally a rc plane should be very light weight.
But more weight combined with much more power is better in strong wind gusts.
On a helicopter you just increase the RPM on such days.
I think EFlite focuses too much on AS3X SAFE. The PNP version is not much cheaper.
MotionRC offers for example optional gyro upgrades as Admiral StabPlus or HobbyEagle Super A3.
(I personally think that Eagletree Guardian is best).
These other gyros can much easier be setup. AS3X SAFE is very difficult to program or to change.
All in all the Timber planes are good, I just don’t use AS3X SAFE and personally think, that the Eagletree Guardian is the best ( beginner to 3D pilot).
Having SAFE is no big deal to me because it doesn't have to be turned on and AS3X doesn't change how it flies at all. As far as the cost I saw it as Hey, it's not much more with a receiver included.
Jun 05, 2020, 04:10 PM
I am glad that the video was made and posted to show the good ideas (and good sales) about the Timbers and design skills of Matt Andren.

Matt, I fly my UMX Timber more often than any other of my 8 RC airplanes because it can do all acrobatics but can also fly slowly. I even use its SAFE occasionally.

It flies fine with fairly old E-flite 280mAh batteries and today it flew even slower but it still did acrobatics with very old E-Flite 150mAh and 200mAh batteries because they are very light weight.

I hope you are working on a UMX Air Tractor or a similar acrobatic and powerful low wing UMX airplane for me.
Jun 05, 2020, 08:43 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
I would pay an obscene amount of money for a UMX timber x. I finally killed my standard umx timber after a few years, and I'm thinking about the turbo timber. I had the most fun doing aerobatic stuff with my regular umx timber, and I think that a UMX Timber X would be a fantastic step up. The turbo timber is cool, but doesn't do what I'd like to do. A UMX Timber X would tick all of my boxes. I'd probably buy a few just to keep as backups lol.

Ross
Jun 06, 2020, 12:40 AM
Hoping for a Timber ARF similar in size to the Valiant 10cc.
Jun 06, 2020, 04:49 AM
Hi Rhea,

my personal opinion is that for example Eagletree Guardianís 3D mode helps much better in windy conditions than AS3X.
Also Eagletree Guardianís 2D mode is better than SAFE.

EFliteís receiver can only be configured for AS3X or SAFE, and you put it on a two-position switch.
If you donít want neither of them, then the PNP version is too expensive.
Jun 20, 2020, 02:25 PM
What about a Timber Trainer???
Jun 20, 2020, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblubaugh
What about a Timber Trainer???

Isnít that any Timber aside from the X and Night Timber?
Jun 20, 2020, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eury
Isnít that any Timber aside from the X and Night Timber?
I kind of thought so but had to ask being sort of a newb. Have been out of the hobby for about 50 years and have to re-learn flying.

Thanks,

Bob

Quick Reply