Insta360 GO FPV Mode

If you want to record great looking stabilized footage, but don't want to or can't carry a heavier camera like the Insta360 One or a GoPro, then you'll want to check out the FPV Mode available on the Insta360 GO camera.

Splash

Record Quality Stabilized Footage with Insta360 GO

If you want to record great looking stabilized footage, but don't want to or can't carry a heavier camera like the Insta360 One or a GoPro, then you'll want to check out the FPV Mode available on the Insta360 GO camera. Previously, the GO could only record up to a minute at a time which made it not suitable for flying on a drone. That was the only limiting factor, everything else is great for drones, especially the size and weight being so small. At the end of April, Insta360 added an FPV mode to the GO which lets it record for 5 minutes. That's great because most flights on mini quads only last about 3-5 minutes. Now you don't have to carry a heavy camera that makes your drone fly weird! More details about the FPV Mode below.

Insta360 announced an exciting new FPV camera mode for the Insta360 GO iOS and Android apps. With the latest version of the app, you can now record up to five minutes of video continuously when GO is mounted on a FPV drone. The new 5-minute recording feature makes Insta360 GO the perfect FPV camera for drone pilots. With its small 20-gram frame, you can mount GO on even the smallest of FPV drones. Fly into never-before-accessible spots. With Insta360 GO, you can capture high-quality, stabilized footage from your FPV drone, while still being able to access incredibly tight locations. Check out some of these shots captured with Insta360 GO that would be impossible with a larger drone or camera:

Most action camera stabilization algorithms are optimized for running, biking, skiing and other action sports. Insta360 GO is the first camera ever with a stabilization algorithm optimized specifically for FPV flights. GO’s FPV stabilization mode will keep your shots steady, no matter how fast you dip, dive and roll your drone. And you don’t have to sacrifice quality for size with this FPV camera—Insta360 GO records 1080p videos.

The FPV community is filled with incredible engineers and DIY demons. That’s why we’ve made it easy to 3D print your own FPV camera mount for GO with a downloadable 3D image file of GO on our official website (under Product Support—GO—Other). The 5-minute shooting mode is specifically optimized for FPV drone-mounted shooting and leverages the drone’s propellers to provide GO with additional cooling power. Be aware that the mode is not designed for everyday use when GO is not paired with an FPV drone. Update your app now to use FPV mode. For existing Insta360 GO users, simply update your app to start using the FPV mode. No firmware update is needed. With iOS v1.4.1 and Android v1.3.2, you can now turn on FPV mode and control shooting over Bluetooth with your phone. Just open the Insta360 GO app and connect your GO to get started. Under “Recording length”, you can select “5 min (FPV mode)”. You can also turn on FPV mode in the GO button settings. Navigate to Settings—GO button settings—Press—Recording length and select “5 min (FPV mode)”. After you’ve successfully saved this button setting, disconnect GO from your phone. Once you’ve mounted GO to your FPV drone, turn GO on and then press GO once to start recording. Then start flying and capture some epic FPV footage! When you’re ready to edit, you can turn FPV stabilization on or off under “FlowState Stabilization” in the app’s editing interface. Download the app update now from the App Store (iOS v1.4.1), Google Play Store (v1.3.2) or Insta360.com. Or head to our official store to purchase Insta360 GO today.

Jun 05, 2020, 10:18 AM
Now they need water-cooled or a heat sink or something to allow unlimited FPV mode with analog out for us old-school pilots and HD out for the new HD systems.
Jun 05, 2020, 02:05 PM
fly by night
yeah plenty of folks having failures with this FPV mode from what I have read. Not even getting a minute of footage and the thing turns off. Need to ensure really good airflow and perhaps not use this mode on hot days.

I've been using this camera for a few months, but have not tried the 5 minute FPV mode yet. It's a great fit on my Nanogoblin, but again limited to 1080p and limited recording ability. Really smooths out the video on that light bouncy airframe. I've only used the 15 and 30second 'Interval' mode and never had a failure issue with that. This mode allows the camera to cool down for 15-30s in between video recording intervals (automatic record-rest-record-rest)

the interface/app is kind of clunky and hard to get used to.

There is also the Naked Gopro project worth looking into. They've produced a plug and play expansion board ($9) and case ($20) so you can run a Gopro Hero6/7 at 27 grams (or 18 grams without the case)... and the price of doing that would be similar to this 360 Go, but 4K, onboard stab, and with Reelsteady option (most info found on the 'zuckerberg' group discussion). Maybe someone will 3Dprint a different NakedGopro case that is more aero for planes like the 360Go is. But also .. the tech will evolve and bring us light&small cameras on par with GP8 eventually. NOTE: Naked gopro means knowing how to dismantle this fine camera and void warranty, with very real risk of bricking it.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 05, 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Jun 05, 2020, 06:34 PM
Not impressed. A stripped down Hero 7 (18g) has continuous Hypersmooth recording. No overheating. But NOT 4K in Hypersmooth, only 2.7K. The Hero 8 does Hypersmooth at 4K60.

The ultimate is the Insta360 One X with 4K and 360 degrees. No gimbal or pan/tilt required. But it's 90 grams. Don't know what this stripped down version weighs.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4172443
Last edited by tm22721; Jun 05, 2020 at 06:44 PM.
Jun 06, 2020, 04:52 AM
That strip down option should be easy enough to flatten for a much lower drag shape. I was surprised they didnt lay the lens flat while they had that perfect opportunity to avoid the barn door gopro shape.
Jun 06, 2020, 08:15 AM
I have the Insta360 one x and the new 360r with all mods. Those are pretty good but you still lose resolution when you crop in on the 360 video to get a normal shot. I also have Go and the resolution is just horrible. Unless you are using to post for mobile phone viewing only, not worth the money. Until the economical 360 cams are higher than 5.7k combined, so you can get at least 2k normal shot when cropped, they are just a gimmick.
Jun 06, 2020, 12:47 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
I have the Insta360 one x and the new 360r with all mods. Those are pretty good but you still lose resolution when you crop in on the 360 video to get a normal shot. I also have Go and the resolution is just horrible. Unless you are using to post for mobile phone viewing only, not worth the money. Until the economical 360 cams are higher than 5.7k combined, so you can get at least 2k normal shot when cropped, they are just a gimmick.
hyperbole

1080p or even 720p is plenty of resolution for most of us. While there are some that do this for money most of us we're generally not in the business of making professional 4K videos for business reasons. Having 1080p on such a tiny lightweight virtual gimbal is utterly amazing, and very useful actually.

Eventually we'll have better. technology marches on. but for 20 grams this is the best stabilized cam now (without tearing apart a gopro)
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 06, 2020 at 01:14 PM.
Jun 06, 2020, 06:52 PM
Ive been hanging out for better EIS since it first replaced the need for gimbal mounts. Strangely the fpv cam manufacturers are the slowest uptakers of the technology. The only explanation left is that they are drip feeding the market, not wanting to lose grip with their existing products. Once one of them does a system that works it should open the floodgates. I don't count the Tarsier as that was a disaster on other levels.
Jun 07, 2020, 01:56 AM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
Ive been hanging out for better EIS since it first replaced the need for gimbal mounts. Strangely the fpv cam manufacturers are the slowest uptakers of the technology. The only explanation left is that they are drip feeding the market, not wanting to lose grip with their existing products. Once one of them does a system that works it should open the floodgates. I don't count the Tarsier as that was a disaster on other levels.
The little chinese FPV makers (Runcam, Caddx, Foxeer, Emax, Eachine etc) are not doing the deep engineering needed to produce amazing new tech like software EIS, and they haven't managed to reverse engineer the Gopro's EIS yet either. They just take some off the shelf components and warm them over so they work a little better for FPV.

but it will come. eventually
Jun 07, 2020, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
The little chinese FPV makers (Runcam, Caddx, Foxeer, Emax, Eachine etc) are not doing the deep engineering needed to produce amazing new tech like software EIS, and they haven't managed to reverse engineer the Gopro's EIS yet either. They just take some off the shelf components and warm them over so they work a little better for FPV.

Yep, I think I mentioned the same thing somewhere else about their unique manufacturing techniques. The stuff they deliver is certainly either the base device firmware with it's functional limitations, bugs and glitches either issued (licensed) by chip makers or a cobbled one off system done for a very low price by a third party. The confirmation/proof is that there are never bug fixes or firmware upgrades available, no matter how bad the camera or device is... just wait for the next model and hope.
The reverse engineering is right on the money. I'd bet Gopro and Insta have that code well buried and locked down to the point where copying would just be uneconomic, despite stealing or plagiarism being the norm for Chinese product development.
Jun 09, 2020, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker

At least they target products for fpv use, Gopro doesn't, else there would be a Hero Session 8. I bought an Insta360 go, for it's size/mass I'm very impressed. At least once I'd figured out how to rotate the sideways footage you get with fpv stabilisation and a horizontal mount.
Jun 09, 2020, 08:31 AM
Some decent memory capacity or expansion capability would be a game changer for me.
1 hour minimum per card or dump... but in that case, fast dump.
Jun 09, 2020, 02:23 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Potatoes
At least they target products for fpv use, Gopro doesn't, else there would be a Hero Session 8. I bought an Insta360 go, for it's size/mass I'm very impressed. At least once I'd figured out how to rotate the sideways footage you get with fpv stabilisation and a horizontal mount.
Not sure who is running Gopro these days. I remember the founder guy was mildly interested in FPV flying, and even pushed through that white elephant Karma drone. If they were smart they'd be lurking on the Naked Gopro forum for ideas for a new ultralight GPHB8 maybe. They wouldn't even have to engineer anything more than a case, slightly different bluetooth connection firmeware and a PDB like the BetaFPV guys just did. 120 grams is just stupid - the old Hero Blacks used tto be like 75g (new GPHB8 is ~120grams), and gadgets should be getting lighter, not heavier!
Jun 09, 2020, 05:51 PM
......gadgets should be getting lighter......

+1
Jun 09, 2020, 07:30 PM
I think a lot of it is battery size, trying to run bigger faster processing while still powering for more time than the previous model. I did a hack once to an 808 by replacing the internal battery with a micro switching regulator. The camera suddenly became 30% lighter and never bombed out again, it accepts from 5 to 30v...
Same could be done with gopro battery as a cheaper and easier way of lightening it substantially.

Quick Reply