to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2020, 08:02 AM
amigasteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3djc View Post
A) Download Companion 2.3.8 from : https://www.open-tx.org/2020/06/13/opentx-2.3.8
B) Launch it and go to settings/settings/Application settings to ensure you are using "Release" channel
C) Check in settings/settings/radio profile that your radio is correctly set to TX16S

All of the above need to be done only once, and are only because you where using nightlies before
D) Download a 2.3.8 firmware using file/download/download firmware. Put the file somewhere accessible
E) You can quit companion for now, and power on you radio while maintaining T1 and T4 toward the center. The radio will start with a white background and an OpenTX bootloader title.
F) Connect USB to your PC, two 'disk' will appear, open the one called OPENTX and put your downloaded firmware in FIRMWARE directory
G) Unplug your USB cable, and follow 'Write firmware' menu on radio screen, pick your newly downloaded firmware and flash it
Thanks, I guess I'll wait a while longer:
CRITICAL ISSUE
Because of a critical issue, downloads of 2.3.8 firmware have ben disabled

While I wait I have an issue with Companion on the Mac: I get two icons TX16S and NO NAME. Problem is when I'm done playing I can eject the SD Card (NO NAME), but TX16S will not eject. I've tried closing companion, even powering off the TX16S but I still cannot eject cleanly. I just hate getting the warnings about ejecting! (You're in good company, my Garmin GPS is exactly the same, the SD card will eject but not the Garmin itself)

Thanks,
Jun 14, 2020, 08:12 AM
amigasteve

Firmware updated

I already had the new firmware on the SD card so I tried the T1/T4 boot loader trick and it seemed to work.
But now on power up I get "SD Card Warning, expected version 2.3V0029"

The version file on my SD Card says 2.3V0026, should I be changing something else? Is editing the version file cheating?

Everything seems to be working fine though

Thanks,
Jun 14, 2020, 08:31 AM
OTX OG and EdgeTX contributor
You should just upgrade your sdcard content with 2. 3V0029 content available here: https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.3/release/sdcard/
Jun 14, 2020, 10:36 AM
amigasteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3djc View Post
You should just upgrade your sdcard content with 2. 3V0029 content available here: https://downloads.open-tx.org/2.3/release/sdcard/
Thank you - done!
Jun 14, 2020, 02:08 PM

charging problem

Still having problems with on-board charging.

I managed only once to charge a battery, using one specific USB charger (tried 4 others, and different cables, that never worked).
However, the one that used to work (once), now refuses to charge.

I can measure some voltage change using a multimeter, indicating 'something' is happening, but it never properly charges.
When the 2 cells are at different voltage, the higher one actually goes down in voltage, as it looks like it's balancing, but it never charges.
When both cells are perfectly matched, still not charging.

When I connect the usb power supply (any), the power button becomes green.
Just to confirm. When charging, is your power button always green, from the beginning ?
Does it perhaps change color when completed ?
Perhaps green is when (it thinks) its completed charging.
Not even sure what it is supposed to show.

My voltage monitoring is correct / calibrated. Checked with a known accurate multimeter.
Jun 14, 2020, 02:11 PM
OTX OG and EdgeTX contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1967 View Post

I managed only once to charge a battery, using one specific USB charger (tried 4 others, and different cables, that never worked).

I can measure some voltage change using a multimeter, indicating 'something' is happening, but it never properly charges.
When the 2 cells are at different voltage, the higher one actually goes down in voltage, as it looks like it's balancing, but it never charges.

Just to confirm. When charging, is your power button always green, from the beginning ?

My voltage monitoring is correct / calibrated. Checked with a known accurate multimeter.
Please contact RM support, they should be able to help you
Jun 14, 2020, 03:04 PM
amigasteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1967 View Post

Here. my power light glows green when charging. When complete the light goes off.

It's charging now, I'll measure the batteries when it's complete, but last time it indicated 8.4V at completion.
Jun 14, 2020, 03:18 PM
I had a great day at the field today with the RM... likely sold at least 1 to another club member!

With my antenna mods no range issues... logged about 12 total flights.
3 planes the rest were drones....

Was an enjoyable day!
Jun 14, 2020, 04:52 PM
I tried to update the SD card by just coping the files over. It said not enough room, so I deleted the non EN sound files and that pretty much resolved that.
Jun 14, 2020, 08:59 PM
amigasteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigasteve View Post
Here. my power light glows green when charging. When complete the light goes off.

It's charging now, I'll measure the batteries when it's complete, but last time it indicated 8.4V at completion.
I charged my 2 18650s until the green light went off. At this point I measured the voltage of the batteries (no load) as 4.16V and 4.17V.

Turned on the TX and measured a combined voltage of 8.28V and the TX indicated 8.4V. I did the battery calibration to make the numbers match.

As far as I'm concerned that's close enough for me.
Jun 14, 2020, 09:35 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
I used my Tx16s etensively over the past 5 days on a slope flying trip. I programmed 11 different slope planes, from foamies to fiberglass composite ships. Great success with all the range I needed to fly planes to exactly the FAA limit of 400 feet (or more?).

I did encounter one issue for which I have just contacted Radiomaster: pressing the RTN key didn't always register a keypress. Toward the end of the use, the key only registered somewhere around 25% of the keypresses.

-= Dave
Jun 15, 2020, 12:36 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post
I used my Tx16s etensively over the past 5 days on a slope flying trip. I programmed 11 different slope planes, from foamies to fiberglass composite ships. Great success with all the range I needed to fly planes to exactly the FAA limit of 400 feet (or more?).

I did encounter one issue for which I have just contacted Radiomaster: pressing the RTN key didn't always register a keypress. Toward the end of the use, the key only registered somewhere around 25% of the keypresses.

-= Dave
Wow! Less than an hour after contacting Radiomaster, I got a response! Let's get 'er done!

-= Dave
Jun 15, 2020, 04:06 AM
I bought a tx16s but haven't received it yet. But here is something related.

www.rcbatterykit.com

The guy makes custom neckstraps for transmitters. This is a non adjustable prototype. He plans to make a basic final design that can be adjusted 3-4" in length and also custom lengths -for about $20. Seems like a good idea to me. He also makes high capacity ( to 5000mah currently) rechargeable li-ion battery packs for jumper t16 and tx16s transmitters specifically, tho they may fit other transmitters too. The battery packs are around $25 last I checked. He's paying himself like minimum wage because he loves the stuff. Busy guy. And crazy.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Jun 15, 2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: changed link to preferred one
Jun 15, 2020, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaScript View Post
I had a great day at the field today with the RM... likely sold at least 1 to another club member!

With my antenna mods no range issues... logged about 12 total flights.
3 planes the rest were drones....

Was an enjoyable day!
Are there range issues without antenna mods? I had to mod my jumper tx16 because the faulty coax fried my internal multi protocol board. So I got a new board and a new decent quality 3" coax that increased my range with frsky drones by about 40%. I cut off the stock crap coax they glued to the multi board. Obviously, gluing the coax to the board doesn't keep it from losing contact because the original was glued too- both at the board and on top at the antenna base mounting. Idiots! Instead of changing to a decent quality coax they glued the crap one to everything and still didn't fix its faulty connections.

I also reseated one ribbon cable so far on my jumper t16. Don't want to have to keep reseating ribbon cables every few months forever which is why I bought a tx16s.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Jun 15, 2020 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply