This thread is privately moderated by 3DMON, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 03, 2020, 05:18 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Thread OP
Discussion

My FPV substitute

I finally found the best substitute for FPV. I never thought I would get tired of flying FPV but then I got into powered paragliding..... I haven't flown FPV since, . I have many different hobbies and activities I'm into but this tops them all. If any of you have ever thought about wanting to fly then you might want to consider PPG.

Here is a vid I recently did that shows just a glimpse of the kind of fun I'm having.
Sunday Paramotor Funday (5 min 51 sec)
Jun 03, 2020, 09:26 PM
Really?
Looks like a blast! A few years ago, some guy cruised over my neighborhood with one, which surprised me.
Jun 12, 2020, 11:43 PM
FPV REBEL ALLIANCE
Its all fun till your chute collapses... Really hope your putting time and effort into those emergency procedures. Its not a matter of if. Its a matter of when.

Blue skies...

NS
Jun 13, 2020, 07:13 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone
Its all fun till your chute collapses... Really hope your putting time and effort into those emergency procedures. Its not a matter of if. Its a matter of when.

Blue skies...

NS
I'm sure you are looking out for me and all but you could have worded things so much better....

So for one, I don't fly a chute but instead it's a wing. I do have a reserve "chute" though and I hope I never have to deploy it.
As with any extreme sport there are risks involved, so they key is to minimize those risks. There are plenty of videos out there showing the horrors that can happen but when you analyze them you will find the person should not have been flying in the conditions they were in and is why you see collapses. To say its a matter of when does not have to be as long as the pilot doesn't put themselves in bad conditions.

My instructor has been flying ppg for over 20 yrs and amazes me because he still foot launches and he's 83 yrs old...crazy... (He's a retired Navy fighter pilot) The attached pic is of me and my instructor.

This sport can be safe as long as you make it safe....
Jun 22, 2020, 05:33 PM
Looks like fun....but I had a farming neighbor who HAD one of those till he landed wrong and broke his ankle.
Couldn't help his brothers farm for the summer so they took and burned it and told him never get another one.
Jul 13, 2020, 01:23 AM
Mr Birdie ~ Flight Expert
Looks great. and probably less regulated than FPV here in Australia, where unless you are on an MAAA site its banned.
Jul 14, 2020, 05:08 AM
Fly 3D Mon!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeMatty
Looks great. and probably less regulated than FPV here in Australia, where unless you are on an MAAA site its banned.
Yep, here in the US ultralights have less regulations than FPV. Crazy...
Jul 14, 2020, 09:40 AM
Oh certainly a good substitute for FPV in that you don't get any static or picture break up!
Jul 14, 2020, 03:59 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
Oh certainly a good substitute for FPV in that you don't get any static or picture break up!
Haha, yep. Best picture ever, .
Jul 14, 2020, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
Haha, yep. Best picture ever, .
Actually, that just gave me an idea!

Suppose someone could be flying PPG in the air above with an FPV camera strapped to them. And down on the ground below, other people could be watching the journey through goggles. So an immersive experience for everyone.
Last edited by dragonblade; Jul 14, 2020 at 10:28 PM.
Jul 16, 2020, 05:09 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
Actually, that just gave me an idea!

Suppose someone could be flying PPG in the air above with an FPV camera strapped to them. And down on the ground below, other people could be watching the journey through goggles. So an immersive experience for everyone.
Yep, I know a guy who does this so his dad can watch while he is flying. Pretty cool.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 06:37 AM
damiendada
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).

Quick Reply