Doesn't matter. The law is the law.

Take it up with the FAA.
of course it matters
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2020, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I've put very basic gyros on scratch built planes a few times , and I've had two store bought planes with SAFE/AS3X . I have no experience with any advanced FC systems involving GPS etc .

For purposes of RC flying practice , a simple 3 channel plane such as the Smart Dart XS is all you need . A 3 channel plane with a high wing that has dihedral/polyhedral is inherently stable and doesn't need FC . And if you build it with low wing loading it will be slow flying . Slow flight gives you time to think , time to react , and time to correct a mistake .

Here is a video of a plane I've built with a high-wing/dihedral & very low wing loading , you can see how it would be easy for anyone to fly :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE
that's cool, thanks for that
Jun 03, 2020, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've put very basic gyros on scratch built planes a few times , and I've had two store bought planes with SAFE/AS3X . I have no experience with any advanced FC systems involving GPS etc .

For purposes of RC flying practice , a simple 3 channel plane such as the Smart Dart XS is all you need . A 3 channel plane with a high wing that has dihedral/polyhedral is inherently stable and doesn't need FC . And if you build it with low wing loading it will be slow flying . Slow flight gives you time to think , time to react , and time to correct a mistake .

Here is a video of a plane I've built with a high-wing/dihedral & very low wing loading , you can see how it would be easy for anyone to fly :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE

another question, let's say with a maximum 1500mm wing span which design will give you the longest range?
Jun 03, 2020, 01:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange_UAV_4G
another question, let's say with a maximum 1500mm wing span which design will give you the longest range?
I've never attempted long range flight , but probably a sailplane/glider type plane would be best . Very streamlined for low drag , and very lightweight so the motor doesn't have to work hard . And in the right conditions ( ridge lift and/or thermals ) , a sailplane can fly for a long time without using the motor at all .

RC Groups member boa2110 scratch builds sailplane/gliders often , he may be able to help you if you want to build one . Be aware that scratch building a sailplane involves advanced/experienced building techniques , and you may have more success with a store-bought sailplane . Here is one example of a store bought sailplane/glider : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hking-ez...-1500-pnp.html

Here is a video of one of boa2110's sailplanes :

10ft foam sailplane (2 min 18 sec)
Jun 03, 2020, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've never attempted long range flight , but probably a sailplane/glider type plane would be best . Very streamlined for low drag , and very lightweight so the motor doesn't have to work hard . And in the right conditions ( ridge lift and/or thermals ) , a sailplane can fly for a long time without using the motor at all .

RC Groups member boa2110 scratch builds sailplane/gliders often , he may be able to help you if you want to build one . Be aware that scratch building a sailplane involves advanced/experienced building techniques , and you may have more success with a store-bought sailplane . Here is one example of a store bought sailplane/glider : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hking-ez...-1500-pnp.html

Here is a video of one of boa2110's sailplanes :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9hHtcbpT4o

ok, cool, interesting, i also bought one of these:
https://www.banggood.com/Volantex-AS...r_warehouse=CN

too scared to fly it after damaging my other one, but came to the conclusion a sailplane might be the way to go
Jun 03, 2020, 07:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
ok, cool, interesting, i also bought one of these:
https://www.banggood.com/Volantex-AS...r_warehouse=CN

too scared to fly it after damaging my other one, but came to the conclusion a sailplane might be the way to go
Building a cheap foam home made plane is good for flying practice , then fly your more expensive planes when you feel confident .
If you need assistance building a Smart Dart XS or other home made plane , I'll be glad to help .
Jun 03, 2020, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Building a cheap foam home made plane is good for flying practice , then fly your more expensive planes when you feel confident .
If you need assistance building a Smart Dart XS or other home made plane , I'll be glad to help .
i've just modified my existing plane rather than start fresh, if that does not fly well enough i'll build a delta, also do you know anything about flying wings?
Jun 03, 2020, 10:23 PM
Thread OP

Updated wing design

These are the changes I made
Jun 03, 2020, 10:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
i've just modified my existing plane rather than start fresh, if that does not fly well enough i'll build a delta, also do you know anything about flying wings?
The Simplest Simple Delta ( SSD ) of posts #5 & #6 is technically a flying wing ( tail-less aircraft ) , and I've built quite a few SSD's . The 30" version is more agile , the 40" version is more docile .... so I recommend building the 40" SSD if you're just learning to fly .

The SSD is a low Aspect Ratio flying wing ( shorter wingspan relative to longer wing chord ) . High Aspect Ratio flying wings ( longer wingspan relative to shorter wing chord ) are more common and more popular , but can be difficult to set up & tune for pitch .... due to the shorter chord . You have to get just the right combination of CG , reflex , thrust angle , etc .

Here is my 40" Simplest Simple Delta :

Giant simple delta (2 min 0 sec)
Jun 03, 2020, 10:36 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
These are the changes I made
Test fly tomorrow ?

Video if possible !
Jun 03, 2020, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Test fly tomorrow ?

Video if possible !
yes, well it's my morning here so hopefully in the next few hours, i'll post a video for sure
Jun 03, 2020, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
youtube.com/watch?v=CP-He0NJ_SY

i've got one of these on the way so i want something to best simulate that, ideas?

once i can fly it i plan to add:

1. flight controller & gps
2. 4g fpv
3. 4g mission planner
4. some kind of gimbal hd zoom camera
Jun 04, 2020, 12:30 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
youtube.com/watch?v=CP-He0NJ_SY

i've got one of these on the way so i want something to best simulate that, ideas?

once i can fly it i plan to add:

1. flight controller & gps
2. 4g fpv
3. 4g mission planner
4. some kind of gimbal hd zoom camera
Possibly a good plan :

1) learn to walk with a 40" SSD .

2) learn to run with a 30" SSD .

3) when you can comfortably fly the 30" SSD at high speeds , then fly your FPV racing wing .

Here is my 30" SSD flying , you can see that it's quicker and more agile than the 40" SSD :

Simplest simple delta (1 min 20 sec)
Jun 04, 2020, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
does that have any stabilization?

also what's the 30 deg, the center line to leading edge?

also also in 5-10 days i've got a bunch of parts arriving including esc, motor and battery ideal for a small fast delta
Last edited by LongRange_UAV_4G; Jun 04, 2020 at 07:37 AM.
Jun 04, 2020, 12:57 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
does that have any stabilization?

also what's the 30 deg, the center line to leading edge?

also also in 5-10 days i've got a bunch of parts arriving including esc, motor and battery ideal for a small fast delta
No stabilization on the 30" SSD in the video . I recommend building a 40" SSD first ( learning to walk ) , then build a 30" SSD ( learning to run ) .

The leading edge sweep is 45º , if that's what you're asking . All the info for building an SSD is in this thread :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-simple-plans
If you live in a country where foam board sizes are designated A1 , A2 , A3 , etc ...... the size you'll need is A1 .

Quick Reply