Jun 30, 2020, 03:50 AM
Thread OP
Glide tests will answer these question. Once it glides right, powered flight should be a non-eventful affair. -- yes this was a no brainer, should have thought of that too
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2020, 11:47 AM
flyin' fool
Not so fast. Test gliding without power is one thing, but flying under power is another.
Jul 01, 2020, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Not so fast. Test gliding without power is one thing, but flying under power is another.
care to elaborate?
Jul 01, 2020, 11:53 PM
Your Volantex is a commercial design that's been proven/tested. There should not be huge surprises waiting for you when power is applied if glide tests are good.
For a scratch build there definitely can be surprises - massive torque toll, wild pitch changes on power adjustment (due to wrong thrust line angle of motor), etc.
Unless your Volantex's motor became unmoored, those surprises should not be waiting for you.
Jul 02, 2020, 12:00 AM
Thread OP
did you see the test flight video of the volantex?
Jul 02, 2020, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange_UAV_4G
did you see the test flight video of the volantex?
Didn't you see/read my post 179 in response to your post 178?
Isn't post 178 the test flight you're referring to?
Am I missing some other video of that plane that you posted?
Jul 02, 2020, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman
Your Volantex is a commercial design that's been proven/tested. There should not be huge surprises waiting for you when power is applied if glide tests are good.
For a scratch build there definitely can be surprises - massive torque toll, wild pitch changes on power adjustment (due to wrong thrust line angle of motor), etc.
Unless your Volantex's motor became unmoored, those surprises should not be waiting for you.
And here's a video of the Volantex flying just fine:

Volantex FPV Raptor V2 maiden (5 min 46 sec)

This is why I said what I said above.
Jul 02, 2020, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Didn't you see/read my post 179 in response to your post 178?
Isn't post 178 the test flight you're referring to?
Am I missing some other video of that plane that you posted?
yes i did, just lost track a bit
Jul 02, 2020, 04:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
And here's a video of the Volantex flying just fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9My2wilh4V4

This is why I said what I said above.
yes, i suspect i just got the cog off
Jul 02, 2020, 02:27 PM
flyin' fool
Test gliding is OK to see if it glides without power. But, when power is applied everything that is wrong will be exaggerated by about 10 fold for every movement of the throttle stick.

So, no maiden launches at full power.
Jul 02, 2020, 02:29 PM
flyin' fool
Get altitude and trim accordingly, then go for it ....................
Jul 03, 2020, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Test gliding is OK to see if it glides without power. But, when power is applied everything that is wrong will be exaggerated by about 10 fold for every movement of the throttle stick.

So, no maiden launches at full power.
that's useful to know, thank you
Jul 03, 2020, 06:56 AM
Thread OP
i'm getting busy with some work which is nice, i started repairing the plane but i think i'm some weeks away, i'll be back here when it's done
Jul 03, 2020, 05:40 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange_UAV_4G
care to elaborate?
Long range, for what it's worth, my experience as a pretty much only scratchbuilder (no commercially available planes in my hanger) is that generally a CG that works for unpowered flight will be a bit aft when one applies power, Thrust angles, torque, etc, all that Gold Guy has mentioned. But in my experience in order to get a comfortable CG for powered flight if I get a really long flat glide in a test glide, I'll move cg fwd to get a gentle arc to the ground. That almost always gives the best (for me) CG for general sport flying. Consequently, when I go power off with my OSG and other gliders, I add a bit of up elevator trim to get the best soaring glide. Works for me.
Jul 03, 2020, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
springer, thanks for that

did anyone make a plane with a variable cg?

Quick Reply