Jun 01, 2020, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Eachine F4U Corsair 400mm

Look what just arrived today.

Overall it feels a little be heavier and more solid than the P51 Mustang by Eachine. This however may not necessarily be a good thing in terms of crashes.

The battery I see changed from included 380mah with the P51 to a 400mah battery while still using the same connector. The battery compartment is a little snugger fit as well. It features the standard accessories of the Eachine P51 such as landing gear, a small screwdriver to attach the supplied landing gear (and screws), a spare prop that seems to use the same connector and a usb battery charger. The rear landing gear is also glued into the fuselage.

The plane seems to have the appearance of dark purple with a tint of blue rather than a true blue. Furthermore its foam wings do not fold like the real thing. I also can confirm there are elevator, rudder, aileron and throttle control. The listing is incorrect and it has 4 channel functionality. The TX is almost identical to the one supplied with the P51 however the trim buttons have changed slighty and so has the AA battery door. The corsair also did bind to the P51's tx.

The box hints at a soon to be T28 trojan. If you ever flew the original horizon UMX without as3x you would know how well they flew.

RTF (Transmitter battery included)
Length: 31.5cm
Wingspan: 40cm
10mm motor
EPP Foam

Flight details to follow!
Last edited by MicroFpvQuad; Jun 01, 2020 at 11:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2020, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
So I just maidened her, I few things became apparent.

With the gyro mode on the corsair flies similarly to the P51 (as to be expected). There is however so major differences, The corsair would stall if it did not have at least a very little bit of throttle. The stalls were fairly big as well! The plane however seems to be faster than the p 51, I was shocked at the speed of the corsair even at around half throttle. Full throttle there is not a huge amount of difference but still seemed noticeable. The roll rate of seemed slow too (A bit of a given considering they are about 60% of the size) but the rudder even though is smaller and elevator seemed largely the same. The battery compartment is far from ideal on the corsair, I had to walk home from the field to get a pair of tweezers as the battery got stuck inside. When I closed the compartment as well the battery lid went inside the battery well.

Overall: Another winner from Eachine, just be prepared for the very quick nature of the plane.
Last edited by MicroFpvQuad; Jun 01, 2020 at 12:43 PM.
Jun 01, 2020, 01:02 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Interesting to see a picture of a T28. So that will be released as well then.

Looking forward to your first flight reports.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 01, 2020, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Little update, I had a mildly rough landing into somebushes. The body work is completely fine however the motor is very hard to spin in about 90 degrees of its turn. The gears look fine. I shall replace the motor as it seems to be just the same one as the Sport Cub 500 and the p51. But for now she is out of battle.
Jun 01, 2020, 03:04 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
I see. How was it flying before the crash?

Maybe an axle is bent, causing the gear mesh to be too tight during part of each turn.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 01, 2020, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan

Maybe an axle is bent, causing the gear mesh to be too tight during part of each turn.
I have ordered a replacement motor already. However it seems to be glued to the gearbox quite strongly so I don't know how I will get it out. It flew very well very similar to the p51, how ever it seems to like to stall at a much higher speed but also seems to be a bit quicker on its feet anyway. Its much less maneuverable however so I bigger space maybe needed but It seems to handle things like inverted etc much much better.
Jun 01, 2020, 04:45 PM
Just Plane Nutts
(Sitting on the porch, glaring down the street) Where's mine?

Observations:

The well-defined cowl flaps in the renders of it at Bang Good are just sad little bumps on the real thing. Figures.

Do not think I will be able to do an internet aileron servo mod with this one's bent wing, but not saying "Uncle" yet.

Does the wing have a flat bottom? If so then that would explain the higher top speed, easier stalling and superior inverted capability versus the Mustang's under-cambered wings.

Waitin' waitin' waitin'...
Latest blog entry: My You-Tube channel
Jun 02, 2020, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
(Sitting on the porch, glaring down the street) Where's mine?

Observations:

The well-defined cowl flaps in the renders of it at Bang Good are just sad little bumps on the real thing. Figures.

Do not think I will be able to do an internet aileron servo mod with this one's bent wing, but not saying "Uncle" yet.

Does the wing have a flat bottom? If so then that would explain the higher top speed, easier stalling and superior inverted capability versus the Mustang's under-cambered wings.

Waitin' waitin' waitin'...
The leading edge of the wing seems to be lower than the trailing edge the wing so perhaps that would account for it.
Jun 02, 2020, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan

After taking it apart you were right, however I have already ordered a replacement motor so will have to wait an extra day for the replacement gearbox. Seems identical to the p51 gearbox so hopefully its an easy swap altougth I may have to dremel the motor out from the gearbox as its glued in.
Jun 02, 2020, 04:53 PM
Just Plane Nutts
If you can cut out the bottom of the cowling as I did in my first 1S Mustang video , then you can gain easy access to the drive for removal with minimum cosmetic damage. If you go slow, then much of the hard-rubbery adhesive can be pryed free with minimum foam damage.
Jun 05, 2020, 10:15 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Got mine, finally.

OBSERVATION: I've seen a lot of these in real life and in photos. In the early 1980s we had at least FIVE of these rare Corsairs at the Reno Air Races. Mainly F4U's, but we've had a few FG-1D's show up with even shorter cowls.

The nose on the model looked too long and/or too narrow to me. I compared it with real ones, and it looks like they extended the nose to obtain proper C/G (assuming). It's definitely longer from the wing leading edge to the rear of the cowl flaps. Ya do what ya gotta do to make them fly.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jun 05, 2020 at 10:33 PM.
Jun 07, 2020, 07:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Got mine, finally.

OBSERVATION: I've seen a lot of these in real life and in photos. In the early 1980s we had at least FIVE of these rare Corsairs at the Reno Air Races. Mainly F4U's, but we've had a few FG-1D's show up with even shorter cowls.

The nose on the model looked too long and/or too narrow to me. I compared it with real ones, and it looks like they extended the nose to obtain proper C/G (assuming). It's definitely longer from the wing leading edge to the rear of the cowl flaps. Ya do what ya gotta do to make them fly.
You are proberbly right with the extended nose. However they most likely never bothered with any real dimensions and most likely just followed reference photos. I think mine flies a little bit on the nose heavy side anyway.
Jun 08, 2020, 05:55 PM
Essential RC flight test:

CHEAP TO BUY AND EASY TO FLY !!! EACHINE MINI F4U CORSAIR: ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TEST (7 min 30 sec)
Jun 26, 2020, 06:34 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Finally got my first flights in.

I nearly got my last flights in.

Eachine Mini Corsair - Maiden Flight (Nearly final flight!) (6 min 20 sec)
Aug 04, 2020, 01:26 AM
AirDOGGe, have you flown it since?

Early versions of the P51 had a failsafe glitch where they didn’t! They would just keep flying if in stabilised mode and control signal was lost. That was fixed on later versions. I have tested both my p51 and f4u and when the TX is turned off, the motor is killed. It does take a couple of seconds, which would seem like an eternity if you are flying it. I have not lost signal with either of mine yet.

You probably saw the dog fight video on the P51 thread. This is a post-crash flight with the F4U. To me, the F4U seems less able in any wind than the P51 and also mine is much less inclined to pull off loops in mid mode by holding back elevator. Great little flier though.

Eachine F4U Mini Corsair post repair flight (7 min 44 sec)

Quick Reply