Aug 10, 2020, 07:17 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I like all aspects of flying but really enjoy take offs, landings, and touching goes. I fly off of a narrow paved strip just outside my back door. Very easy for me to fly a few batteries early each morning before getting on with my day; so I tend to log lots of flights on all my planes.

It’s not really difficult to land, but the Electric Trainer rewards a careful approach and proper throttle management all the way to touchdown. With the trike gear, it can do some beautiful scale-like landings on the unforgiving asphalt when everything is coordinated properly. And even the ones that are slightly off only result in a small bounce or two. This is unlike some other trainer type planes that will allow a complete power off, dead stick landing and do it smoothly each time.

Electric Trainer does not have the typical thick, flat bottom airfoil of most trainers. The wing is semi-symmetrical and fairly thin. This gives it better aerobatic capability and probably is why it requires a little more skill on landing. This is one of the reasons why I enjoy the plane - and fly it often.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 10, 2020 at 07:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2020, 08:53 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Ideally, I would like a low wing version of the Electric Trainer for cleaner aerobatics, and with about 10 inches more wingspan for some added stability and wind resistance.

Oh, wait! That would be my trike converted Phoenix Dolphins! The two pictured here have 576 logged flights in the last four years. Maybe my favorite all around gentle flyer/aerobatic plane.
Aug 10, 2020, 09:06 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
And if there was just a similar sized plane to the Dolphin that looked more scale and had a little more performance but flew as nicely, I would be happy.

And there is - the Phoenix Tucano. Iíve gotten 499 Tucano flights on 3 of them.
Aug 10, 2020, 09:08 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Sorry. I pulled this thread way off topic with my random thoughts.

Back to discussing the BH planes.
Aug 12, 2020, 01:20 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
It seems like whichever one of these similar BH planes Iím flying at the moment - it becomes my favorite.

Powered with 350 watts and the control throws dialed back, this little flyer becomes a real nice sport/aerobatic performer. I donít know about itís 3D performance, but I enjoyed several batteries thru it this morning performing smooth aerobatics. Just enough speed and thrust to be satisfying and easy consistent landings/takeoffs.

Almost ready to pronounce it my favorite - until I fly a different one.
Aug 12, 2020, 05:27 PM
Spoke this afternoon with George at American Pioneer and should have an Electric Trainer arriving in Nashville early next week.
Aug 12, 2020, 06:33 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Post some pictures of the plane and the assembly - enjoy seeing how others do with it.
Aug 12, 2020, 07:59 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
There are lots of reason why I prefer balsa construction vs styrofoam. It looks nicer and more refined. Balsa airframes are more rigid resulting in crisper flight response and better performance. And unlike foam, they can be repaired to look essentially like new.

But another aspect, sometimes overlooked or downplayed, is they can remain nice looking even with frequent flying, far better than foam. The pictured Electric Trainer now has 86 flights on it with no damage or repairs. Check these closeups: in most respects, it cannot be told from brand new. Even a carefully handled foamy will begin to look ratty and tired after this much use.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 12, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Aug 13, 2020, 08:42 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Iíve intended for quite while to come up with some easier access for the battery compartments in these BH planes. With a little bit of re-working, magnets or latches could be added to them. Most of them are like the pictured Trainer with screws securing the compartment lid. But you can use only two screws on alternating corners to secure the hatch. Loosening the two screws only as far as shown in the first picture you can then lift the hatch by the small piece of transparent tape I have applied to the rear edge. Maybe not a real elegant solution, but I have used it so much now that it has pretty much become a non-issue for me.

Trainer is the only one with access from above the fuselage. The SU 31 has a single thumb screw retaining the under-fuse cover. This is a little more convenient than the CAP 232. And the AeroCruiser with its smaller hatch might be the most awkward of the bunch. All recent electrics have much easier battery access than these planes. But youíve got to remember, these are older planes. They were all discontinued several years ago.
Aug 13, 2020, 10:11 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Dave-

I found that the Aero Cruiser battery hatch is essentially useless as the battery needs to be mounted further back to get the cg to the recommended range. I think you like flying the airplane with a forward cg- given that you're heavier and looking for more traditional pattern flight- that makes sense. But if other folks are looking for an airplane that can do aerobatics at slow speed- the cg needs to be moved back.

Sam
Aug 14, 2020, 09:09 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
My Cruiser balances at the rearmost recommendation of 110mm back with the battery in the intended battery compartment. Maybe that old fashioned geared motor puts too much weight on the nose of yours, Sam.
Aug 14, 2020, 10:24 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Looked back at my notes and it seems the small outrunner I’ve got on the Cruiser weighed 56g. What does the geared motor setup weigh, Sam?
Aug 14, 2020, 01:51 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Dave

I'm kind of remembering 76 grams for the motor, ESC, (I'm guessing it's a Phoenix 10) gearbox and maybe prop. I did use the stick mount rather than the lite ply box mount- that might have moved the motor further forward. I remember thinking that it was a bit lighter than the Axi 2212/26 that I was thinking of instead, although they were pretty close.

I think my first flight was at around 95 mm back from the LE-pretty sure I balanced around the wing tube/main spar at the tips. The second flight was back around 130 mm or so. I'm thinking about a somewhat larger pack which may move the cg forward a bit. I also don't understand you can be using a larger pack and have it that far forward.

What I don't get is why are our overall weights so different? I just checked the weight of my airplane- ready to rock its at 15.9 oz or 451 grams. Granted, I'm only using a 3 cell 600 mAH pack, but IIRC, wasn't your airplane at 20 oz or so? I also don't get how you can be using a heavier battery up further forward and yet have the cg that far back even with what's probably a 10 gram difference in motor weight.

Sam

Sam
Last edited by Megowcoupe; Aug 14, 2020 at 02:25 PM.
Aug 14, 2020, 02:09 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I just weighed it again. Plane 470g, add 100g for 3s 1300. The HXT servos I used are called 9g but actually weigh a couple g more. But that wouldn’t make much difference.

I’m at a loss to explain the weight difference.
Aug 14, 2020, 07:03 PM
Ron - AMA 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
There are lots of reason why I prefer balsa construction vs styrofoam. It looks nicer and more refined. Balsa airframes are more rigid resulting in crisper flight response and better performance. And unlike foam, they can be repaired to look essentially like new.

But another aspect, sometimes overlooked or downplayed, is they can remain nice looking even with frequent flying, far better than foam. The pictured Electric Trainer now has 86 flights on it with no damage or repairs. Check these closeups: in most respects, it cannot be told from brand new. Even a carefully handled foamy will begin to look ratty and tired after this much use.

Very well said, I agree.

Quick Reply