This thread is privately moderated by Nickerz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 28, 2020, 11:32 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bought A Great Planes PT-40 (Original - Version 1)...

This morning, I bought a 2nd Great Planes PT-40 but this is the original PT-40 that came out around 1987 I think (whereas version 2, the MKII came out around 2008) and I bought this original version 1 from an RCGroups.com member. Total paid was...

$100.00 (Plane ARF Kit, Engine & Radio!)
$Free (Shipping)
$N/A (Tax)
$100.00 (Grand Total)

This is NIB and I wanted this to keep for nostalgic reasons since this is technically the plane I viewed in the two videos I had as a kid and wanted to buy back then but I felt building it would have been a little more than I was ready for. So now I have that chance and I got such a great deal on this as they go for $250+ on eBay! USPS shows the delivery date between TBD...

Here is the original classified ad...

I already have an engine for it too (NIB O.S. MAX .40-FP which is the original engine recommended in the manual and in the videos I watched as a kid!) I'll take pics and do an unboxing video once I get it. Here's a pic from the seller...

This morning, I bought a 2nd Great Planes PT-40 but this is the original PT-40 that came out around 1987 I think (whereas version 2, the MKII came out around 2008) and I bought this original version 1 from an RCGroups.com member. Total paid was...

$100.00 (Plane ARF Kit, Engine & Radio!)
$Free (Shipping)
$N/A (Tax)
$100.00 (Grand Total)

This is NIB and I wanted this to keep for nostalgic reasons since this is technically the plane I viewed in the two videos I had as a kid and wanted to buy back then but I felt building it would have been a little more than I was ready for. So now I have that chance and I got such a great deal on this as they go for $250+ on eBay! USPS shows the delivery date between TBD...

Here is the original classified ad...

I already have an engine for it too (NIB O.S. MAX .40-FP which is the original engine recommended in the manual and in the videos I watched as a kid!) I'll take pics and do an unboxing video once I get it. Here's a pic from the seller...

Last edited by Nickerz; Sep 16, 2021 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2020, 08:21 PM
Thread OP

Bought O.S. MAX-FP .40 Engine Off eBay On 05/24/20...

I originally created this post in my PT-40 MKII thread when I bought it but then moved the post over to this thread since I'm going to keep this engine with the PT-40 Original, v1 plane, so I updated the dates for when I bought it on 5/24/20. And technically I bought this O.S. .40 engine shortly before I bought the PT-40...

On 5/24/20, I was the winning bid and bought a vintage O.S. MAX-FP .40 engine off eBay. Total paid was...

$70.00 (Engine)
$8.00 (Shipping)
$5.58 (Tax)
$0.21 (eBucks Applied)
$83.37 (Grand Total)

This is NIB with original box & packaging. eBay shows the delivery date between 6/1-6/2.

I was the only one who bid on this engine btw! What was strange is, these engines have been selling for much more. When I was looking for one about 2 weeks ago, I new one was selling for around $145! Also, there was another new .40-FP engine but didn't have original box and packaging selling for a little less with 3 bidders. I guess they didn't see this one! Plus, it was Memorial Day weekend so I maybe there wasn't as many people paying attention.

This is the engine that is recommended for the PT-40 original but I think I might use it for my PT-40 MKII or I might keep this engine for the original PT-40 I'd like to buy just so I have it and then fly the MKII with an O.S. .46 size engine which I hear is a better suited for this size plane. I wanted to get the original .40-FP since this was what is recommended in the video How To Build & Fly...PT-40. But to keep both the original PT-40 with this .40-FP engine as collectibles would be nice for nostalgic purposes. So we'll see...

Here are the pics from the eBay sale...

Last edited by Nickerz; Jul 25, 2020 at 09:03 PM.
May 31, 2020, 08:42 PM
Thread OP

O.S. MAX .40-FP Engine Was Delivered The Other Day!

My O.S. MAX .40-FP Engine was delivered this last Friday (5/29/20) by USPS at around 11:30am!!!

This is NIB and included everything original (box, instructions, decal sheet, engine mount cutout) so to add this to my collection makes it more exciting. Especially as I will have the ORIGINAL PT-40 delivered next week! This engine is the one the video I watched as a kid (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...31&postcount=9 and also here...). Technically I should have posted these in this thread but at that time, I didn't know I would be able to still get this plane NIB so I created this thread. And since the dates and history match up with those original posts, I think for now I'll keep them over in the Royal-Air 20T thread and just link the videos in this thread...

My plan is to keep this in my collection along with the original PT-40 since they don't make either of them anymore and maybe one day I will get around to building and flying it!

Enjoy the pics and unboxing video...

Unboxing Video...
O.S. MAX .40-FP Engine - Unboxing (14 min 6 sec)
Last edited by Nickerz; Jun 01, 2020 at 03:17 AM.
Jun 01, 2020, 01:56 AM
Thread OP

Pics Of A Book Includes Kit Tips For PT-40...

I bought this book for the Royal-Air 20T but it also has kit tips for building the Original PT-20 and PT-40 so I wanted to include this as part of my blog...

Jun 06, 2020, 04:17 PM
Thread OP

PT-40 Featured In Model Airplane News Magazine (May 1987)

Here is the article of the Great Planes PT-40 that was featured in the May 1987 Model Airplane News magazine...

...and for what it's worth, that same magazine has an article entitled ".40 Engine Shoot-out" which it features the O.S. MAX .40-FP engine (1985) which is the engine I bought for this plane! It also has another article entitled "How to Operate and Care For Your R/C Glow Engine"
Jun 16, 2020, 04:44 PM
Thread OP

Great Planes PT-40 (Original - Version 1) Was Delivered Today!

It was finally delivered today by USPS! Pics & unboxing video updates to this post coming soon...
Jul 09, 2020, 07:39 PM
Thread OP

***UPDATE*** Great Planes PT-40 (Original - Version 1)...

Unfortunately this purchase didn't pan out in the end. I went through it (I even have an unboxing video but didn't post it to YouTube) and it was missing quite a few parts, hardware, etc. The seller (member here on RCG) was AWESOME to deal with. Very apologetic, said I could keep it and will refund my money in full but I offered to send it back to him via Return To Sender. This way, he could still maybe get something for it as I think it included everything for the wing as far as I could tell and someone on RCG just sold a wing kit for around $50 plus the kit I sent back will have more spare parts if needed.

Either way, I'm still in the hunt to find a NIB PT-40 Original but not in any hurry as I will probably keep this in my collection for awhile until I get around to building it, especially for nostalgic purposes. I did bid on a NIB last week btw but lost the bid to someone else. So I'll just keep my eyes out for another one as they tend to pop up on RCG Classifieds quite often. So hopefully I get a chance to find another one NIB again and of course I'll be sure to update my BLOG!!!

***I WAS ABLE TO FIND ANOTHER KIT! CLICK THIS LINK FOR UPDATE...***
Last edited by Nickerz; Oct 22, 2020 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply