May 28, 2020, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Old returning member!

Hi everyone,

I used to be a member on the forum a little over 10 years ago, when I was 17 I had picked up a RTF Blade 400 that came with a DX6i. After crashing and rebuilding and a LOT of help from you all (seriously can't THANK YOU ALL enough for dealing with a stressed out teenager) , I picked up an Align Trex250 with DX7se. The 250 was the helicopter I would bring everywhere and I really got the hand of inverted flight and 3D. That then turned into getting a Trex450 sport, and ultimately a 500esp that I put an i2 FBL head on. I had too much money into the 500ESP for being 19 and in college and ended up selling everything before I ever flew the 500. Only thing I kept was my ThunderPower 610C charger and power supply. Absolutely pained me, but it was time to get off the Ramen diet.

Fast forward a decade to last Black Friday I purchased a Futaba 14SG and knew I wanted and was able to get something to fly again, not sure what I wanted, but the bug had bit me again. I got busy with work and life and have had the radio sitting since. Long story short I wandered into my LHS to order a TRex 470L and ended up not.. I decided on the heel to do something new and dive into airplanes! They gave me a smoking deal on an EFlite PA-20 Pacer with motor and ESC. They heavily criticized me for picking up a Futaba instead of Spektrum (90% of their inventory was BNF eFlite) however 10 years ago Futaba FASSTest was really the only thing I wish I had done differently, so this time I didn't even think when I ordered that radio on sale. Neither here nor there, I trust it and am happy, the menus took an evening to learn but nothing terrible.

Anyhow I just wanted to reintroduce myself and see how the forum and hobby is doing now a days. I did not realize how large this plane was until I began the build nor do I know how fast it will go. I'm in Phoenix Arizona and don't want to crash my plane onto the free way by accident so I'm looking into getting a membership at Sun Valley Fliers. Might be a tiny plane for that space but better safe than sorry, I used to go there back in the 90s when I was little to watch the planes with my Dad, and I'm looking forward to returning, but this time to finally fly there. Thank you all for reading and I look forward to getting to know some of you!
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2020, 11:14 PM
welcome back!!
cute bird!
May 31, 2020, 05:42 PM
You'll probably be interested in this forum :

https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-kit-scratch-built-886/ , "Plane Talk " and beginning builder and flier forums.
Jun 02, 2020, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
You'll probably be interested in this forum :

https://www.rcgroups.com/scale-kit-scratch-built-886/ , "Plane Talk " and beginning builder and flier forums.
Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.
Jun 04, 2020, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Welcom bak buddy
Jun 04, 2020, 05:22 PM
Suspended Account
WOW... What happened to ScaleONLY.... pls bring him back... he is da man

Oct 27, 2021, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Hey guys! Didn't want to start another thread so figured I'd revive this one. I'm finally at the tail end of building the bird. Had some health problems arise and had set the build down. A question I had, how much flex/ wiggle do these balsa ARFs tend to have on the rudder/ vertical stabilizer? Mine has about 1/8 inch of flex in each direction, does balsa tend to do that?

Thanks! Just want to make sure I don't need to reorder a fuselage again.. lol long story..
Oct 29, 2021, 12:11 AM
Hey an 1/8 in shouldn't be that bad and the covering should tighten it up. However you could add a truss like structure (yes like a bridge) to the bird and it should improve any twist.

IF you asking about slop in the control surfaces that is an issue you would want to reduce as much as possible.
Oct 30, 2021, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Awesome, thank you! I had someone at the LHS look at it and they told me it was totally reasonable for a mode to have that much play. Iím a machinist and am used to working with metal, this balsa stuff is a different animal but Iím very much enjoying it.

Quick Reply