GliderKeeper F5J Device

GliderKeeper looks like it could be a great practice tool or used in small contests where all pilots could fly in the same group with no extra timers available.

Splash

New Recording and Timing Device for F5J

Has anyone seen one of these yet? GliderKeeper looks like it could be a great practice tool or used in small contests where all pilots could fly in the same group with no extra timers available. It's a small device that weighs 12.8g with wires and it would replace your Cam or Altis units. It has all the functions you'd need for F5J like start height recording, etc, but it does a lot more than that. It has a timing feature that can track starting time and stop the timer when your plane touches the ground. The timer starts on motor turn on and sure it can be off a little, but probably less than you might think. In their test at a contest, it was only .6 seconds higher than actual time recorded by human timers. That's certainly good enough for practicing by yourself or with a buddy or six all together.

The best part in my opinion is the wifi function where you can talk to your mobile phone in the field to change settings, see the flight information and have the flight graphed out for you. It can also send data to the cloud to make scoring easier. You'd still have to manually enter the landing scores, but this is a great start for making life easier. Local pilot Scott and I have been out flying a lot together flying 5J rounds and we've just had to guess on actual time, but if we both get one of these, we could more accurately fly two man contests. I'm really liking the idea behind this. What do you guys think?

Click Here for More Info on GliderKeeper

May 28, 2020, 11:06 AM
Team Futaba
Took a few clicks to get through pages on their website. Works out to $105 USD plus shipping for those who are interested.

From their page:

Quote:
Technical specifications:
Dimensions: 49mm x 23mm
Weight including all cables: 12.8g
Display: OLED 0.66in
Voltage: 3.5V-8.4V (DC)
Power consumption:
Logger mode approx.20mA
STA mode approx. 60mA
AP mode approx. 200mA
Looks interesting. Any idea on shipping costs and time to get to US??
May 28, 2020, 03:57 PM
I'm a balsa butcher
I'd like to know how it senses a landing? Is it sensitive enough to detect a wingtip touching the ground instead of a high G dork?
May 28, 2020, 04:43 PM
I assume it detects a stop in motion. Probably has a fuzzy algorithm to set the time marker back to the point of acceleration.
May 28, 2020, 04:57 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Sounds like it.
Jul 26, 2020, 12:35 PM
Before 4 weeks I receive a newF5J device – GliderKeeper AMRT with timing capabilities.
After a lot of training flights and 2 local competitions I'm happy with the results.As AMRT device it working very good. Most important part is timing. Motor start signal start timing and accelerometers give a stop when model get in rest.This rule for timing of F5J I proposed to FAI last year, but had no big support from F5 subcommittee members and I withdrew it.
This rule gives possibilities for electronic timekeeping and will give more precise timing and less personal need for organizing F5J events. GliderKeeper shows FAI altitude and flying time. After hundreds of flights I had a very good record of times. Even at competitions with human  timekeeping results of GK were the same or with not more than 1 sec difference (because of different approach).
 Let's start introducing this GK device.Device is a little bigger than usual AMRT but easy to fit at any F5J fuselage.Display is big and bright. It look like a very good quality device.
First of all you must visit the website https://gliderkeeper.com/
Text and video manuals are excellent and very detailed and give you an easy way to configure GK device for use. Not complicated but need 10-15 minutes to prepare GK for use - uploading the latest version of firmware and configuring wifi connection capabilities After it the device must be well secured in the model. I use double sided tape but before it I stick electric tape on the device and fuselage to prevent problems in case of needing to move it to another model.  Wifi capabilities on the ground give a great service, with simple keeping the model nose down for more than 3 seconds, the device goes in wifi mode and you can check data and graph of last flights in a few seconds with your phone or tablet.  Very useful in fine tuning of models or training. 
My final conclusion: I highly recommend it.

GliderKeeper is a very promising and reliable new generation device which can give pilots and organizers more precise timing and altitude. Human factor will be getting down in judgement of F5J events.

I expect brite future of GK and similar devices for improving F5J competition handling and bringing new technologies in RC gliding classes.

Well done Glderkeeper team!
Last edited by Sotir; Jul 26, 2020 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply