May 25, 2020, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Micro Beeker UPDATE 6-13-20 Maiden Video!

Since designing and building the original Beeker, back in 2015, I have always intended to build a balsa version of it as well. And since our "friendly" FAA is pushing new restrictions on the RC community, and while enjoying my UMX Turbo Timber so much, I thought now was a good time to try and build a Micro Beeker under the 250 gram, 8.8 ounce minimum. The goal was to use small, individual components, not a brick system, to try to get under the minimum. I had the electronics on hand, so it was time to get going!

I settled on a 22.5" wingspan for the Micro Beeker, which is, almost, exactly half of the full size planes' span. I needed it to be proportionally accurate to the original, so I used a photo of my original, and drew up a new side view that include a slightly different shaped tail and a forward leaning window post. I wanted the post to be vertical while the aircraft was sitting on the ground, and leaning slightly forward in flight, to give the illusion of speed. The wing shape is basically the same as the original. The fuselage and tail surfaces will be left in bare balsa, sealed with Krylon Color Max Clear. It seals wood nicely, without any warping and is super easy to sand, giving an extremely smooth finish. (my new "go to" for balsa sealing) The wing will be finished in either tissue and dope or Polyspan. Tissue and Stix It are supposed to arrive this week. The gear will be brass tube socket bases with two wires extending slightly forward, to give it a torsion bar effect. The wheels had to be "Bush" tires, so a set of Turbo Timber wheels have been incorporated. Great quality and super lightweight.

More to follow....

6-13-20 Maiden
Micro Beeker - Maiden Flight 6-13-20 (4 min 32 sec)

Here's a link to the original Beeker thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8with-video%29
Last edited by cbalgra; Jun 13, 2020 at 01:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2020, 11:09 AM
Really nice! Not only did you scale it, but you've upgraded the construction too. The bare wood look is going to be fantastic (it already is, but it won't be hidden).
May 25, 2020, 12:07 PM
Thread OP
Thanks CG. Hoping it will fly as well as my big one.

My first choice for covering was going to be Soft Touch 1.5 mil mylar. That way the whole plane would appear naked. Still looking for a good price on a roll of ST. I only need a about two square feet of it, and a little pricey for such a small project. I have a friend in the printing business and am inquiring with him about getting a bit for me. Fingers crossed.
May 25, 2020, 02:01 PM
These guys can help you out with 1.7 mil in small quantities. I order from them regularly, they are nice people.

https://alofthobbies.com/new-stuff-l...ing-films.html
May 25, 2020, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Wow CG ! Didn't even think about looking at these guys. I regularly order components from them too. I agree with you, great guys, great service. Thanks for the tip!
May 25, 2020, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Just placed an order for the film! Hope it works as well as people say.
May 25, 2020, 08:34 PM
I look forward to the results!
May 26, 2020, 02:37 PM
skumgummi dave
May 26, 2020, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
With this being my first foray into the micro world, I was challenged, by myself, to see if I could build a Beeker under the 250 gram rule.

Most of the construction is from 1/16" balsa of varying weights. The fuselage is 1/16", with a 1/16' doubler, running vertical grain, from around the prop, to the nose. Made for a real stiff, lightweight fuse.

Black acrylic, craft paint was brushed on insides of forward fuse to help accent the outline of the window openings.
May 28, 2020, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Tailwheel wire embedded in the rudder, with 1/16 balsa doubled on each side to reinforce it.

Also, fuse going together.
May 29, 2020, 09:20 AM
I had to take a look around

I like your design of "The Beeker" and you do a very nice job with the balsa construction.

Jürgen
May 29, 2020, 04:38 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jurgen. It's been a while since I've built a balsa aircraft, but have been enjoying very much.

Motor is a 10 gr brushless, , with a HexTronik 10amp esc. Venom 300mah, 2s lipo. 5'' GWS prop. Receiver is a Lemon Rx DSMX compatible six, channel. 2 Hitec HS-55 servos. It's all in there, but a tight fit.
Jun 01, 2020, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Landing gear has been completed. Turbo Timber wheels. Wire legs plug into brass sockets, that are glued to CA hardened, balsa base. The gear legs have a slightly forward rake to them that allow them to rotate a little in their sockets, which provide an extremely forgiving gear that does not create a lot of springiness. ( It is very similar to the torsion bar system on a VW Bug, only reversed. ) I've used this system on much larger planes, and they really absorb hard landings well.

The wing is nearly complete, needing only leading edge sheeting, and covering.
Jun 01, 2020, 08:29 PM
skumgummi dave
That sure is a cutie!

Dave-
Jun 02, 2020, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Dave.

Still waiting to cover the wing. I'm hoping that my order for 1.5mil Mylar will arrive today. I have never used it to cover a model before, but would like to keep this build as "minimal" as possible.

Quick Reply