Aug 05, 2020, 07:31 PM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarchitect
How do you figure out how long a slot to cut into the wing?

The width of the slot is just slightly larger than the clevis, right?

Do you prefit the servo (w/o gluing it in yet) and it's arm upside down and then determine the pushrod angle to get the correct slot size and alignment?
I started with Johnathon's Post #4 in the Aloft Magnus thread and went from there. I'm using a different clevis, so the measurement is a bit different. The servo arm is tilted towards the back and the throws are set (more or less) to his set up chart. I aligned everything before gluing in the tray. The Bluebird 115 HV servos I'm using fit the tray with a little modification.
Last edited by Tahoed; Aug 05, 2020 at 07:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2020, 07:48 PM
On the Go Fly List
Thanks. I will check out the post you mention.
Aug 23, 2020, 11:52 PM
Fly low, fly fast
Maiden day today! Didn’t get to it until late in the afternoon when the conditions were deteriorating. However the plane handles without vices and lands like a dream with 90* of flap throw. Got to DS it a little in weak conditions and had no complaints.

Had one scary moment when radio link was lost during a faraway sequence, despite having passed range check earlier. I mounted the antenna to the canopy, which appears to be glass, and it solved the problem.

I found the CG aft of 80mm to be undesirable, so I added some nose weight. Have not checked CG since, but it was definitely more pleasant to fly that way. AUW is 40 oz, FWIW.
Aug 24, 2020, 12:31 AM
That thing almost hit me
Can you post a pic of the antenna mount to the canopy. Just curious because I did that with my Jester...
Aug 24, 2020, 08:36 AM
Fly low, fly fast
Hi Ed, I did it internally.
Sep 29, 2020, 10:53 AM
Fly low, fly fast
Carbon Magnus was pushed to 183 mph yesterday by Bruce. I could only manage a 182 Elevator response remained crisp at that speed and the plane showed no other signs of distress.

Compared to another carbon Magnus on the hill that did not have the stab and elevator mods/reinforcement that I did, the elevator response at speed was noticeably better.

I think 200 is around the corner when the conditions permit.
Sep 29, 2020, 03:17 PM
Congrats Dominic (and Bruce) that is very fast, especially for such a low priced 60" moldie. I am sure you will easily take it past 200 mph soon as conditions allow. First time I met Alan at Weldon with wind blowing to mid 30s and that day he went over 300mph every time he flew his K2M (modded fuse/tail) and took his carbon Sunbird (with custom horns) past 200mph every time he flew it. Do you recall the wind speed during those 182 and 183mph DS laps with Magnus? Is any elevator trim needed (up/down or none) to track level without ballooning or tucking at speed?
Sep 29, 2020, 03:44 PM
Fly low, fly fast
Measured wind was 22-36 in the parking area, which is usually a little stronger than in the bowl at top of Parker. Elevator trim is pretty much neutral at those speeds. It was tucking a bit so I added about 1/4 oz to the nose for a subsequent flight, but the power had backed off so we didn't really get to sort it out. Second flight was in the 150s .
Sep 30, 2020, 11:50 AM
Bay Area Model Flyers aka BAMF
Awesome guys! Great to hear you guys are putting the test to the Magnus. I cannot wait to hit some more laps with mine. Seems to be quite solid doing laps. We will be waiting to hear the next results when the wind cooperates.
Sep 30, 2020, 02:34 PM
Cool, did you go with the carbon ribbon your mentioned earlier in this thread...how did you end up stiffening the stab/elevator? Any photos to help new folks who may want to incorporate the upgrade mod would be great.
Sep 30, 2020, 02:55 PM
Fly low, fly fast
I went with a carbon rod on the stab side, inside the hinge line, and aluminum tube on the elevator side. This required grinding out the wiper. More detail in post #38. So far so good. Even after the reinforcement, the stab still has more flex than I would like, but we've yet to have any issues in flight. I'm sure higher speeds will reveal the deficiency (they always do!)
Sep 30, 2020, 03:10 PM
Thanks Dominic.

Jeremy, is that what you did or something else?
Oct 01, 2020, 11:56 AM
Bay Area Model Flyers aka BAMF
I have not done anything yet on the stab, I have left it stock so far. I have not glued mine in so I can still remove it if I wanted to strengthen it in the future.
Oct 01, 2020, 04:00 PM
Okidoki, cool ya it seems like a worthwhile upgrade and was asking to learn more about it.
Oct 10, 2020, 11:01 PM
Fly low, fly fast
Magnus did 189 at Weldon today in 31 mph gusts. It’s got more in it, just need the wind to cooperate.

Quick Reply