This thread is privately moderated by bobzilla, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 24, 2020, 10:41 AM
EVFlyersBoss
Thread OP
Cool

Ripmax Xcalibur Plus Turbine Jet

Although I have had 3 Ripmax Xcalibur turbine jets, I have never had the larger Plus one. I finally got a change to buy a really nice one used.
I am really impressed with the flight characteristics of the Xcaliburs, and this larger one has not let me down.
I am powering it with the same Jetcat P120 that I have used in all my jets. I prefer propane start, as it has less chance of a puddling fire and it
does start up immediately. This Plus has a much larger tank that I have installed from a PilotRC 2.2m predator that survived from a mishap with
a friends predator. The tank is huge 4.7l and includes a built in UAT. I painted the tank to make it match the plane, but now I have to strip a window
off the tank so I can see fuel level (duh). Servos are all Savox 1230mg (500oz), and I use these in all my turbine jets.
I am a dedicated Spektrum flyer, having used Spektrum in literally tons of my planes, and have had JR 9303, 9503, DX7, DX18gen 1 and 2, DX20 and now an IX20. I have used nothing my Spektrum Powersafe receivers 9,12, and 20 ch in my planes. I HAVE NEVER had a crash attributed to any
Spektrum equipped planes, either my Giant Scale or Jets. Here are some photos of my Xcalibur.
Bobzilla

Here is a link to a friends video of his:
Ripmax Xcalibur Plus Global Jet Club (9 min 7 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2020, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
About the Spektrum comment, at our field, I have seen several Spektrum brown outs.
We are almost 5 miles away from a military base, lots of radars there. Lets blame it on them... There have been a few Tactic and JR receiver equipped airplanes that have crashed.
But, none, zero Futaba loss of signal.
May 24, 2020, 03:09 PM
EVFlyersBoss
Thread OP
Every field is different. The bennett field in Vegas has a long history of rc problems from a pumphouse that is only a few yards away, a huge cell tower 1/2 block. Although I would never fly there, I've heard of many radio having problems, the big crash this year was a huge 40% plane with jeti radio, right over pump house. The dry lake where I and others fly, seldom have radio failures. Usually poor maintenance, batteries, switches, hovering with no gas left, or dumb thumbs. They try to blame their radio, but to no avail.
I wish no harm to any flyer, but the location you fly has a big impact on your success.
May 25, 2020, 06:51 PM
Spectrum strikes again at our field and it takes out a plane about once a year average that I witness personally, not all that often.
Some blamed it on counterfeit receivers,
some blame it on placement of the ESC and the antenna,
some blame it on the revision of the old and new receivers,
some blame it on batteries being used.
Typhoon maiden flight. Lost signal. He's out hundreds whatever caused it. Everything in the plane was new and he wasn't more than 400 ft away from the runway when the plane flew itself.

I fly 72Mhz FM to this day. I get a kick asking if anyone is on ch 56 before I turn on my transmitter these days. People laugh every time I close my antenna and carry my balsa plane back to the truck to refuel after a 10-15 minute flight, but, I never had a crash from losing signal. I use $7 nicad batteries too.

Quick Reply