This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 22, 2020, 10:53 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Protecting the Timber floats with aluminum

My last instructional flight using Ralph’s New Turbo Timber went well. Winds were a direct cross at 10-15 mph but the 5 second throttle cut delay gave him time to concentrate on rudder corrections. Only 2 out of the 8 takeoffs were aborted for insufficient/ late rudder. What was frustrating were the 4 nose overs during the 2 taxi ops. Fortunately no one else was flying and the walk was only 100 ft or so to right the Timber.

The included floats will be mounted to reduce nose overs in the grass and pig sand that we have to contend with. I have used clear packing tape to protect and strengthen float bottoms. However I remember having to repair broken Apprentice floats and using aluminum duct tape. So I used the same super sticky aluminum duct tape on the floats to protect the bottom and to add a scale effect. I weighed the floats and strut pieces ( minus the rudders) at 239 gms and after at 274 gms for a net gain of 36 gms or 1.2 ounces for both floats.
Last edited by VicT; May 22, 2020 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply