This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 21, 2020, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

OMPHobby Maiden flight

OMPHobby S720 maiden (3 min 18 sec)

Forward !

I really wanted a S720 , especially with so many crowing about it . After watching a lot of youtube video I finally got me one . I was worried about the CG location and there for I put in a zippy 350 battery to move the CG a little more forward .

Maiden Flight !

Nothing - nothing - nothing - Too Much ! That was my flight . It was beef jerky !
That Dinky Toy transmitter deserves to be hammered to death !
The S720 is a relatively high performance model being controlled by a very low performance transmitter .
For me , I simply could not fly the S720 smoothly because when I did gentle movements = Nothing happened .
So you give more stick and still nothing , then more and nothing , and then more and the model jerks rather violently in the direction you want because you are now over controlling . The trashmitter is junk ! In my humble opinion the S720 should be BNF or PNP ..
The trashmitter simply does not cut it .

Calibration !

The calibration on my S720 was a little out . There was this slight perpetual right turn .
I came home and re calibrated the model .

A) Put the model on a flat surface ,
B) Give it the attitude you want
C) Pull both sticks down and out and hold till the lights that signify calibration stop = You just re calibrated the gyro !

Final word ? ( For now )

It's been cold / rainy / wet N windy for a while now . So my location was not the best for a maiden . But the ground is sloppy wet and cold .
The trashmitter sux's ! ( Accept that as a given )
I have ordered a Rx , and will bind to my Taranis . I think on the Taranis the S720 will be sweet .
As is - The trashmitter just spoils a good thing . A score of zero for the Tx and 5 for the model ( 5 out of 10 ) .
On a decent Tx this could be a 9 or better out of 10 . I really dont want to fly the S720 again on the trashmitter , even though the stability control was doing a decent job .

Round two ( T720 transmitter )
Last edited by old4570; Today at 08:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2020, 09:16 PM
A bad tradesman always blames his tools!

But even a small upgrade to the Tx (for us to the XK X6 from the XK K110 heli) makes it quite a different plane. Still has its quirks but you should like it much better with the Taranis.
May 21, 2020, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
Thankfully not a tradie !

And yeah ! 100% = I don't have the skill to deal with a trashmitter as bad as this one . The Tx offers no feedback what so ever , way too much like a game pad .

Looking forward to round two ( hopefully with the Taranis ) .

Hmmm , I wonder ?
Can I maybe use the trashmitter from the T720 ?
That trashmitter did not seem as bad as this one ( dead zone ) .
Something to try I guess .
May 22, 2020, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Thankfully not a tradie !

And yeah ! 100% = I don't have the skill to deal with a trashmitter as bad as this one . The Tx offers no feedback what so ever , way too much like a game pad .

Looking forward to round two ( hopefully with the Taranis ) .

Hmmm , I wonder ?
Can I maybe use the trashmitter from the T720 ?
That trashmitter did not seem as bad as this one ( dead zone ) .
Something to try I guess .
Yeah. You'll just have to rebind to the new Tx with the plane's receiver button. They're not universal auto-bind like our old Syma X5/8 transmitters.
May 22, 2020, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
I dont see the button ..
Might be hidden somewhere out of sight .. ( So no bind )

Only picture of the Rx I can find .. It's a bad picture !

Dont look like there is a bind button .
Last edited by old4570; May 23, 2020 at 12:08 AM.
May 23, 2020, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
I was looking and looking ..
Comparing the image to my S720 ..
And the bind button in my model was hiding under the servo wires .

A bit of prodding with a BBQ skewer revealed the button ..

Now the Tx for the T720 is controlling the S720 ..
And it is a lot better .
I actually have much better ability for smaller movement with the T720 Tx .
Dead zone for the gimbals still bites the big one though , but this Tx is better than the one bundled with the S720 .
May 23, 2020, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Picture !
Bind button was hiding under the servo leads .
May 23, 2020, 01:05 AM
Glad you got it sorted! Now don't bust it up before you get it connected to the Taranis.
PS You do know that when you have a satellite plugged in you can use either controller to fly the plane without any re-binding or pulling satellite plug? One Tx at a time obviously though I've never actually checked which has priority if you try with 2 at once!
May 23, 2020, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
Really ! My T720 has a satelite Rx ( DSM2 )
I also have a FS2A micro Rx some where ..
But I dont know the plug lay out + - s , I have ordered the OMP futaba Rx , so once I see that I will solder up the FS2A ..
So few details ..

Quick Reply