May 21, 2020, 03:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

3D printing stuff

hardware 3D printed , flying surfaces will be depron .

So far ..
Fins + carbon tube + printed stuff = 20.13 grams
Flight control board is 6.04 grams

Wings will be ?
CG will be ?
Battery will be ?

It's a project .
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2020, 09:24 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Nice. I have switched over to 3D printing masters and molds. It's different but the results are very similar to CNC and much quicker.
May 21, 2020, 10:20 AM
How big is it?

Kinda looks a bit like a whipit? could use the wings from one of those if it's small enough?
May 21, 2020, 04:30 PM
Nice! Might be the whipv2 people where looking for!
May 21, 2020, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Yes , dimension-ally whip size ..
I like the 600 to 650 size DLG , so easy to live with , and even easier to build .
Glued up the wing last night ..

Hopefully more progress today .

I guess you could put on a whip wing if you wanted . ( If you had a spare ) + I designed some of the parts to replace whip parts , like the all moving elevator and vertical fin holder .

3D printing DLG parts (1 min 19 sec)

Forgot I did this video
Last edited by old4570; May 21, 2020 at 05:35 PM.
May 22, 2020, 05:10 AM
That's a great little pod and mount. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
I'm wondering if I should do something similar for a MiMi-style build I've been procrastinating over for ages.
I have the foamcores all prepped for glass and cf, so it's about time to start working on a pod and mount section.
The only thing that concerns me with printed parts is weight vs. strength. On a small craft like that, even 5g will make a difference.
May 22, 2020, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
Proof is in the pudding ..
But so far the parts seem plenty strong ..
That weight thing though ? A stock whip runs about 39.4 grams ( Mine ) without battery .
That gives me about 14 grams for the wing to match a whip .
May 23, 2020, 01:04 AM
Thread OP
39.47 grams ..
So the flying weight might be around the 50 gram zone .. About 5+ grams over the weight of a flying whip .
Last edited by old4570; May 23, 2020 at 01:18 AM.
May 23, 2020, 01:25 PM
That's pretty great. Any plans for publishing stl files?
May 23, 2020, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
You cant really buy the V911 flight control board any more ..
There are some here and there , but (?) places like India and they are a little expensive .

The F949 flight control board is available , and I used my last one in my Micro F16 project .
I have ordered another F949 flight control board .
So will most likely do a Revision 2 version of this that will be a little more refined and use the readily available F949 board .

Also maybe later on a more regular style that uses servos and a micro Rx .
This was just an experimental Print Project to utilise my last V911 board .
Maybe a 1 meter design ?

Short answer would be that at this time I have no plans on publishing the STL as I dont feel this is refined enough .

Update !
The more I think about it , the more I stuffed up the design . ( Pod / wing mount )
Last edited by old4570; May 24, 2020 at 02:56 AM.
Yesterday, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570
Short answer would be that at this time I have no plans on publishing the STL as I dont feel this is refined enough .

Update !
The more I think about it , the more I stuffed up the design . ( Pod / wing mount )
Lol - I do that all the time with designs. This is what make 3D printing so great - the feedback loop is so short that it's sometimes difficult to stop iterating on a design
Yesterday, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Yeah !
I have to wait for the F949 flight control board now .
Then decide if I go in a new direction or modify what I have to lose weight .

I need music wire to finish this current project ( V911 DLG )

PLA is interesting stuff . Use enough and it's strong enough , use too little and it breaks with the greatest of ease > It's not carbon fibre after all .
And I havent really explored printing at all yet .

Print height / heat / etc .
So many complain about weak parts ? ( Whats with that ? )

Are they printing to fast , to high , to cold ? Hmmmm ! Or just to thin ?
More to explore ...
Today, 08:17 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
There are many PLA filaments out there as well, and they're certainly not all the same. I have had some that printed nearly ABS strength parts, though a little more brittle maybe... then other filaments called PLA that were absolute crap. I like the MatterHackers Pro PLA and Monoprice as well.
Today, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
My PLA is simply the cheapest money could buy !
Certainly no brand name on the box / package .

Quick Reply