May 20, 2020, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Whatís the best vario?

I’ve been away from the hobby for quite some time. Several years back, I was considering a V-speak vario as it seemed like a good, useful product. I did some searching recently and didn’t come up with much new. That surprised me.

Anyway, looking for recommendations. I have a Spectrum DX-9...had it for years but haven’t used it. The V-speak isn’t recommended for use with the Spektrum 9350 which seems like the only appropriate receiver offering for a glider. So also not sure what receiver to use? I do have a TM1000 but would rather use an all in one receiver to save space and avoid a mess of wires. I don’t care so much about the altitude data, but more so want good sink/lift indication.

Also have a general question about varios...do they work okay in an electric molded glider? I ask only because I assume it’s fairly well sealed up and not sure how this affects the sensor.

Thanks, Scot
Last edited by ScotY; May 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2020, 11:48 AM
You ask a good question. It's certainly a topic for discussion more so than a quick answer.
If your interest is in using it for XC then you might want to have a total energy probe as well. Total energy in theory subtracts the glider's sink rate out of the vario feedback. So it only tells you if you're in good air or not, not if you're climbing.
This is important when you're running long distances in sink and should be doing so at a speed above best L/D. So now the glider is sinking at a good rate too and a standard vario may not indicate when you go through some light to moderate lift, since a standard vario only tells you if you're climbing or not. Full size sailplanes went to total energy a half century ago for that reason.
Two varios that were popular for XC prior to the 400 foot rule is the Skymelody and the T3000. Both can accept a TE probe. The T3000 can have a GPS Incorporated into the system to assist with telling you where you are relative to predefined turnpoints which is very helpful when racing around a closed course.
A couple of us like the sound and response time of the Skymelody slightly better but still need the T3000 for staying on course so we have both in our racing ships.
Both can tell you rate of climb, altitude, and battery voltage which are also useful.
Having said all that, a simple standard vario tells you when you're climbing and sinking which is useful for centering a thermal and telling you when to speed up when entering sink. Since you sink faster when flying faster, I know at least one pilot that uses that sinking sound as a sort of airspeed indicator to let him know when he's flying too fast.
So, decide what your needs are and buy something that fills those needs. With today's electronics most any vario will work for simple up and down indications well.

Mike
Last edited by ThermalSeeker; May 21, 2020 at 01:33 PM.
May 21, 2020, 03:46 PM
DS will change your life
For the DX9 you can use the TM1000 and a vario gauge..

Or you can get a AR6610T, a 6 ch rx for almost the same the same prize as the Vario gauge It have built in altitude and variometer.

Or you can get a Lemon LM0052, a 7 ch rx with altitude and vario, just a bit cheaper than the AR6610T.

Or you can double bind your rx with one of above, and just use the telemetri.

And it will work in a molded glider

Climbing in a low level thermal (2 min 58 sec)

AR6610T variometer/altitude reciever (3 min 10 sec)

Good Luck
Soren
May 21, 2020, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalSeeker
You ask a good question. It's certainly a topic for discussion more so than a quick answer.
If your interest is in using it for XC then you might want to have a total energy probe as well. Total energy in theory subtracts the glider's sink rate out of the vario feedback. So it only tells you if you're in good air or not, not if you're climbing.
This is important when you're running long distances in sink and should be doing so at a speed above best L/D. So now the glider is sinking at a good rate too and a standard vario may not indicate when you go through some light to moderate lift, since a standard vario only tells you if you're climbing or not. Full size sailplanes went to total energy a half century ago for that reason.
Two varios that were popular for XC prior to the 400 foot rule is the Skymelody and the T3000. Both can accept a TE probe. The T3000 can have a GPS Incorporated into the system to assist with telling you where you are relative to predefined turnpoints which is very helpful when racing around a closed course.
A couple of us like the sound and response time of the Skymelody slightly better but still need the T3000 for staying on course so we have both in our racing ships.
Both can tell you rate of climb, altitude, and battery voltage which are also useful.
Having said all that, a simple standard vario tells you when you're climbing and sinking which is useful for centering a thermal and telling you when to speed up when entering sink. Since you sink faster when flying faster, I know at least one pilot that uses that sinking sound as a sort of airspeed indicator to let him know when he's flying too fast.
So, decide what your needs are and buy something that fills those needs. With today's electronics most any vario will work for simple up and down indications well.

Mike
Hi Mike,
I am just interested in flying at the model club field so GPS is not required. I tried to look up those varios you mentioned but couldnít find much info. I found this page: https://www.rc-electronics.eu/wp-con...-options_2.pdf
But couldnít make much sense of it all.
May 21, 2020, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
For the DX9 you can use the TM1000 and a vario gauge..

Or you can get a AR6610T, a 6 ch rx for almost the same the same prize as the Vario gauge It have built in altitude and variometer.

Or you can get a Lemon LM0052, a 7 ch rx with altitude and vario, just a bit cheaper than the AR6610T.

Or you can double bind your rx with one of above, and just use the telemetri.

And it will work in a molded glider

https://youtu.be/-nHxGzikKPQ

https://youtu.be/H3WdcJ-liw0

Good Luck
Soren
Thank you for the info, Soren. The AR6610T would be perfect if there were 1 more channel! I have a 6 servo electric glider. I am unsure about using the Lemon receiver...are they reliable? The plane is fairly expensive so saving money on a receiver isnít something Iím interested in unless it was very reliable.
May 21, 2020, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY
Hi Mike,
........I tried to look up those varios you mentioned but couldn’t find much info.........

Hello Scot,

Here's what may be the thread that brought the T3000 to the states....wow..it's been awhile. Searching T3000 here in RCgroups brought up dozens of more posts/threads, so there is plenty to read here if that interests you. I don't know if Rick is still selling them or if they're still available but do know that you could get different combinations of components to meet your needs. Again, depending on the sophistication that you're looking for, there may be something else to fit your needs.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...000-for-XC-use

There is a thread in the DIY Electronics section here on building a vario yourself. I did so. It transmits back to the transmitter through the sensor signal from the receiver but the delay was about 2 seconds. The two varios above have a delay of slightly less than one second based on my very informal stopwatch interrogations. That's something worth checking before buying a vario that transmits back through the transmitter. I haven't investigated all of them so I can't say how they all perform.

On the other hand since you're not flying XC in competition then maybe two seconds won't bother you.
For me, it's horrible.

Other varios include the Picolario and Eagle Tree Systems has a vario too. I've flown with both and both work fine.
There's plenty to pick from. Maybe starting with an inexpensive Transmitter based one could give you the experience to help figure out what you really need. You might find that it's all you need.

Mike
May 22, 2020, 10:22 AM
I've got a take off Skymelody (two actually) plus a Skypanel available from a friends XC ships. Link to one vario with Skypanel here. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=skymelody
May 22, 2020, 06:49 PM
yyz
yyz
The vario in the T3000 is very good but maybe more than you need.

I really like the ws-tech vario as well: http://www.wstech.de/

Quick Reply