May 20, 2020, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Repaired Dirty Birdi

Last Summer the wing of my Dirty Birdi folded. Was mid aired in 2016. I apparently missed some internal wing damage. Lasted 3 years. I just repaired/ rebuilt the plane. OSAX65, Mac's pipe, DB mech. retracts, anhedral stab, wing fillets, fuel window, cowled engine, turtle deck, canopy, cockpit, tank mounted over the wing(CG). This rebuild: converted to tricycle DB retracts. Female air racer scheme. This plane has a built up wing. Little over 7# dry, on the tarmac. Will be flown in So.Cal. Classic Pattern.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2020, 08:15 PM
PINK!!!! Very nice.
May 21, 2020, 03:18 AM
PhoenixFlyer
Great job !
May 21, 2020, 08:42 AM
Excellent repair job, enjoy.
May 21, 2020, 03:19 PM
Purdy Birdy, should be called! Bet she'll fly like a dream too.
May 23, 2020, 04:41 AM
airwolf

NICE Airplane...!

GREAT Repair Job...I just picked up an Original Super Sportster 40, AND a .40 KAOS....here in Fl...Dirty Birdies are COOOL...
Last edited by duckieair4927; May 23, 2020 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling error
May 23, 2020, 09:09 AM
I just want to go fly!
I love the partially see-through wing very cool
May 24, 2020, 05:22 AM
Thread OP

See Through wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
I love the partially see-through wing very cool
Walter, The first Dirty Birdi began as a sheeted foam wing & stab, wood fuse. The first photo. I didn't want to wait 4 weeks for foam cores, so I built this one from plans. Yes, I made all the ribs etc. But I hated to cover that open structure. So Transparent Purple Ultracote went well w/ the Pink Ultracote. Test flew the plane yesterday. Flies great as do all Bridi designs. W/ OS65 & tuned pipe, @ 7.5# the plane will fly the complete Novice sequence just fine @ 1/2 throttle. Thanks Mitch
May 24, 2020, 09:57 AM
DavidsPlanes
Mitch,

Nice job on brining her back to life!

Iím working on a similar project. Slightly smaller. Will have some updates soon on an existing thread.

Enjoy your new all wood DB! (Wait, that might be construed as rude. )

David
May 25, 2020, 12:10 AM
Thread OP

Dirty Birdi repair

Doxilla ( David),
Thanks. Means a lot coming from you.
You may recall I built 2 Ultimate Kaos from plans. 1 for me & 1 for friend. ( he stuffed his last week!)
That Ultimate Kaos Flies well @ 7# dry , YS 61 & pipe. But I prefer the flying characteristics of the DB over the U.K..
Even at 1/2 - 2/3rds throttle this DB moves along well.
Currently running a NovaRossi pipe. Tomorrow will try a Flat back muffled & a round back Mac's quiet pipe. Looking for mid range rather than top end power.
Thanks Mitch @ skunk works
May 25, 2020, 10:55 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
It looks outstanding, great repair job Mitch!

Always nice to get them back into the air.

Michael
May 27, 2020, 07:40 AM
Hey Mitch,
Great repair job! The DB has always been one of my favorites (I built 3 back in the mid to late '70s; first from a wood kit, next 2 from scratch and swept the wings on the 3rd one when I saw the UFO).
If you want a faster Kaos or Chaos or any of the variants, build a thinner wing. I've done it on a few pattern ships. I leave the root section the same and just reduce the thickness of the tip (the amount depends on the design, but I've gone as thin as 10% at the tip). Speed will go up, but the thicker root will still allow for slow landings.
Enjoy your DB!
-Will

Quick Reply