May 20, 2020, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone experiencing problems with this battery connector?

Good afternoon everyone,

I lost my last week after a bad crash when the pack voltage cut out mid flight. I've attached the Graupner telemetry file where you can see that at 4:50 I lose pack voltage. The thread listed below gives even more details.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...locking-servos

I'm pretty sure the cause of the crash was a faulty battery connector. I had an intermittent power issue about a week before where the connector was fully plugged in and I couldn't get power to the plane. I unplugged and plugged back in and all was well. I never thought that much of it and thought it was fluke.

Regardless my question is: has anyone else experienced issue with the connector shown in the picture? This type of connector is typically used for 1S lipos.

The battery pack was my "B" pack so it had only been used about 3 times before. The Snipe 2 was just a year old and flown maybe 30-50 times. I have successfully used a Zepsus magnetic switch on my other DLG and will probably go back to that.

Any thoughts? What a bad way to lose a beautiful plane!
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2020, 06:31 PM
I have used that Molex/ team Losi connector for over 4 years in at least 8 different DLG ships - Hundreds and hundreds of flights- Never an issue.

Is that melted heat shrink on the circuit board component mounted on the servo in clear heat shrink- Or is that an altimeter that you purposely melted the heat shrink to un -cover the sensor?

Jack
Last edited by Jackspt28; May 20, 2020 at 06:39 PM.
May 20, 2020, 07:23 PM
Build and Fly
Ouch, sorry for your loss.

I also use that connector, and I've had a very similar issue, which turned out to be a broken conductor on one of the wires.

Plug it in and flex different parts of the wires while holding the rest down so that it can't move. If the power fluctuates, replace the broken wires.
May 20, 2020, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackspt28
I have used that Molex/ team Losi connector for over 4 years in at least 8 different DLG ships - Hundreds and hundreds of flights- Never an issue.

Is that melted heat shrink on the circuit board component mounted on the servo in clear heat shrink- Or is that an altimeter that you purposely melted the heat shrink to un -cover the sensor?

Jack
Hi Jack,

What you see on the first servo is a decased Graupner vario that is covered in clear heat shrink. I cut a hole at the actual sensor so it could "breathe"
May 20, 2020, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnjmn
Ouch, sorry for your loss.

I also use that connector, and I've had a very similar issue, which turned out to be a broken conductor on one of the wires.

Plug it in and flex different parts of the wires while holding the rest down so that it can't move. If the power fluctuates, replace the broken wires.
Well, it happens! I can't say I could have prepared any better so all I can do is learn from this. Great idea, I'm going to disconnect the lead at the receiver and test for a broken wire. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a similar issue.

On a side note DLG's are so addicting! I've been RC soaring on an off since 1992 and I'm starting to like them more than my winch launched planes. I love how fast you can set up and how they teach you to be a better pilot since you start a lower height. Modern DLG's blow me away with how efficient they are (amazing flat turns). I find if you launch into the lift you can hit the same thermals as if you were winch launching.
May 20, 2020, 08:38 PM
Build and Fly
You'd also be surprised at how much damage can be repaired! Look around the forum and you can find some pretty crunched up planes that have been reborn. It just takes patience, carbon, epoxy, and foam.

Quick Reply