May 20, 2020, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Pandemic on the Beach Newbee Project

Hi, folks. This started last August when my lovely wife booked us a beach house in North Carolina for two weeks. Given the present pandemic, we now find ourselves doing isolation time at that beach. So I decided to build my first plane since I last had Ambroid stuck to my fingers 40+ years ago. I've spent the last few years relearning RC flight with a trio of UMX RTF planes so I figured a simple foamy would give me a chance to learn about present RC electronics and maybe have something to fly on the beach. Of course I will try to find a less challenging place than the beach for maiden flights if I get that far.

Equipment on hand is what I could get with 2 day shipment from the big on line A:
22-12 1400kv motor
30 A esc
8x6 props
AS410 reciever
9g servos
850mAh 3s lipos
Control horns & wire pushrods
3 sheets of DTF
4 DT kites
hot glue
Tape

After poking around in this forum I selected Balsa or Carbon`s Super Easy because it's said to be able to handle some wind and it's, well, easy. I'm hoping to limit weight to 250g so I'll take the paper off the DTF and use tape and kite sticks to reinforce where needed. Runner up design might be the AMA DeltaDart type. Opinions or suggestions are welcome.

Here's my first photo. Basic check out of the electric guts. It all works but I'm still trying to get a rudder-aileron mix to work right. And here`s a view of the beach showing building rather than flying weather.

Stay safe. Cheers!
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2020, 03:43 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Both the Super Easy and Dart are great flying planes , and neither one has ailerons .... so no need for a rudder/aileron mix .

If building with Dollar Tree Foam , another way to reinforce paperless DTF is to laminate 2 or 3 layers of foam where necessary for strength ( that's what I do most often ) . And simple foam strip fillets can strengthen joints .

My favorite Dart design is the Smart Dart XS :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Smart-Dart-XS
On the plans : notice the 2 of negative incidence on the horizontal stabilizer , easily overlooked but very important .

Here is my 40" Smart Dart XS :

40" RC Dart (1 min 31 sec)
May 20, 2020, 03:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Also , an 850mAh 3S might not be enough for that motor/prop , unless the C rating is in the high range . I recommend at least a 1000mAh or 1300mAh 3S , 30C or 40C .
May 20, 2020, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tips, BoC.
I was trying to keep the weight down with my battery choice and choices were limited to the 850 or something 2x that. Now, I just weighed all the electronics at 205g so I know my weight goal is unrealistic. The battery is labelled 80c but I know there are many optimistic labels out there. Plan B is to cut down the prop a bit if needed.

Onward and upward, l hope!
May 20, 2020, 06:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by swOH_Jon
Thanks for the tips, BoC.
I was trying to keep the weight down with my battery choice and choices were limited to the 850 or something 2x that. Now, I just weighed all the electronics at 205g so I know my weight goal is unrealistic. The battery is labelled 80c but I know there are many optimistic labels out there. Plan B is to cut down the prop a bit if needed.

Onward and upward, l hope!
80C is good , should be able to deliver the Amp draw of the motor .

You can save weight by using a lighter motor/ESC .
This is my favorite 24 gram motor for parkflyers ( planes less than 400 grams total flying weight ) : http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...otor_p_35.html
This lightweight ESC works well with that motor : http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...tors_p_38.html
It uses this prop : http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...8x43_p_23.html
And I like this stick mount for that motor : http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...ount_p_62.html
May 20, 2020, 07:21 PM
treefinder
If it's a Racestar 2212 1400kv the 3s 850 will be fine. Worst that will happen is short flight times. I have several (8x6 prop and 30amp esc as well). Usually use 3s 1500 mah ZOP lipos and get 8-10 minutes unless I am hard on throttle. At half throttle, you should get 5 min or so.

I gather you aren't in need of a plane that looks like a full size so would pick the smart dart. In haven't built one, but several friends have and they seem to be fun planes. Mild acrobats, but easy flyer if wanted.

Your challenge sounds fun two weeks on vacation to build, set up and fly a scratchbuilt! Cool.

If you get a hankering for a more full size look, most of my onesheeters have a dtf version, though I sized them for 2730 "blue wonder" motors. You may have to put battery farther aft than original design to offset the heavier motor. Browse my blog if interested.
May 21, 2020, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Hello and thanks, Springer. You and BoC have tipped me in favor of the Dart. I'm glad to absorb all I can from you two gurus of the foam board

Beach weather is nothing but stormy rain and wind so it`s a great building day. Here's the progress so far.

I scaled the d'Math o d'Dart to a 20" chord x 30" span to make full use of a DTF sheet and hopefully fit better with my motor which I think is bigger than goldguy had in this 26" version. To avoid fragile tail tips, I modified rudder and elevator to simple 2" wide rectangles. Photos show the basic parts and a dry-fitted assembly of scraps that'll be the nose block.

Cheers!
May 21, 2020, 02:53 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
You're on your way !

If you haven't already noticed them , here are a few additional important tips from the Smart Dart thread first post :
"Mount the stab at 2 degrees negative, the wing at 0 and 6 degrees down thrust on the motor, with a few for side thrust. Extensive testing ( by 'A Useless Geek') shows 15 degrees of dihedral is optimum for aerobatics. Balance at 25 percent for starters and move it back to suit your flying style."
May 21, 2020, 07:52 PM
flyin' fool
WOW, what a perfect slope site. What you need is one of these and have some fun in the wind/lift.............

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ght=Instigator

Sloping is amazingly gratifying and this slope bird will set you back only a few bucks.

The Instigator is my 'go to' sloper in all conditions. Just add ballast according to the wind conditions.
May 23, 2020, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
The rains stopped and it`s more a beach vacation. Lovely wife and I enjoyed a 6- mile beach walk Friday and a shorter shell hunting trip this morning. But, I've made progress.

First photo is all the flying surfaces in the finished flat stage. Wing has the longest sections of fiberglass rod from 2 DT kites glued and taped to the LE. Tail surfaces have wood skewers on the LEs and the moving surfaces hinged. Second picture is wing on dihedral jig with cross spar assembly from one of the kites dry fitted in place. The kite spar joint seems to fit the 15-degree dihedral. Present state is wing dihedral joint glue drying. I'm using white Gorilla glue throughout. I've come to trust it for light strong joints from repairing my UMX fleet.

Time to hit the beach (nap time). Cheers!
May 23, 2020, 03:22 PM
treefinder
Coming along and looking good!
May 23, 2020, 04:53 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Looking good !

If using tape hinges , I strongly recommend taping both sides .... with sticky-to-sticky contact in a small gap . Gap should be about like a dime is thick .

To keep the hinge from being too stiff , do not tape the other side full length . But instead tape three pieces on the other side : left , middle , and right for the elevator .... or top , middle , and bottom for the rudder .

If you only tape one side , the tape may eventually separate from the foam .
May 24, 2020, 10:08 PM
Thread OP

Control throws?

Beautiful day on the beach but progress has been made on the Dart.

Finished the box fuselage and the photos show tail feathers with glue drying and wing just sitting in position. I will make wing removable so if Dart survives the week, it'll be easier to get in the car for the trip home. Will use some rubber bands and skewers; details TBD.

BoC, thanks for the tip. Hinges were done with short tape pieces on the bevel side of the joint with the moving surface swung over so the bevel-side tape got stuck to the sticky side of the opposite full length tape. The ele. has short tapes at ends and center on bevel side. I think that's OK?

I hope to install the controls next. Where should I start for initial rudder and elevator deflections? I want the mild side of the Dart for now. My moving surfaces are 2" chord.

I started out planning to build a Super Easy so I didn't bring parts for landing gear but I found a fishing net float and some more fiberglass kite sticks on the beach. I managed to split the float to make two tires and added bottle cap wheels. The kite sticks I hope will be stout enough to become LG struts.

We are joined this week by a niece and her 7 year-old daughter who nominated Jessie as the service pilot after maiden flights. Photo shows her taking a first look from the cockpit. Clearly I need to make her a seat so she can see where she's going.

Stay safe. Cheers!
May 24, 2020, 10:33 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by swOH_Jon
Beautiful day on the beach but progress has been made on the Dart.

Finished the box fuselage and the photos show tail feathers with glue drying and wing just sitting in position. I will make wing removable so if Dart survives the week, it'll be easier to get in the car for the trip home. Will use some rubber bands and skewers; details TBD.

BoC, thanks for the tip. Hinges were done with short tape pieces on the bevel side of the joint with the moving surface swung over so the bevel-side tape got stuck to the sticky side of the opposite full length tape. The ele. has short tapes at ends and center on bevel side. I think that's OK?

I hope to install the controls next. Where should I start for initial rudder and elevator deflections? I want the mild side of the Dart for now. My moving surfaces are 2" chord.

I started out planning to build a Super Easy so I didn't bring parts for landing gear but I found a fishing net float and some more fiberglass kite sticks on the beach. I managed to split the float to make two tires and added bottle cap wheels. The kite sticks I hope will be stout enough to become LG struts.

We are joined this week by a niece and her 7 year-old daughter who nominated Jessie as the service pilot after maiden flights. Photo shows her taking a first look from the cockpit. Clearly I need to make her a seat so she can see where she's going.

Stay safe. Cheers!
Does your transmitter allow dual/triple rates and/or expo ? If so , you can set up dual rates ( 50% & 100% ) on a 2 position switch ..... or triple rates ( 33% , 66% , & 100% ) on a 3 position switch . And a good starting point for expo is about 40% .

If your transmitter does not allow rates/expo programming , I would start with 50% of the full travel . You can adjust the amount of travel by moving the pushrod connection to the servo arm : outer hole for more travel , inner hole for less travel . On the pushrod connection to the control horn : outer hole for less travel , inner hole for more travel .

For practice before actual real-world flying , you can use an RC airplane simulator . If you have a touchscreen mobile device ( iPad , iPhone , Android phone , etc ) , go to the app store and search for " free RC airplane simulator " . The transmitter sticks will be simulated on the touchscreen .
May 26, 2020, 09:34 PM
Thread OP

Standing on it's own two wheels

My beauty and I got up early and took a sunrise walk on the the beach. Sorry I forgot to transfer a beach scape photo to my tablet.

Servos and pushrods are complete now. I did learn from the process. After I had glued the servos into place, I hooked up the ESC and reciever for a function check and discovered the rudder servo would return to two different "center" positions, depending on whether it was last turned right or left. Lucky I had bought spares. Although I had done a basic function check with loose parts on the bench, I hadn't paid close attention to how the servos moved but only that they wiggled in the proper directions.

Managed to make a Fred Flinstone-looking set of wheels out of the fishing net float. Photos show the Delta standing on double kite-stick LG struts with the wheels on a bamboo skewer axle. Tail skid is a bamboo coffee stir stick.

Next steps are to work out the wing attachment and screw on the motor. Then I can figure out where the ESC and battery need to be to balance.

Stay safe, all. Cheers!

Quick Reply