May 20, 2020, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Help!

FrSky RX receivers Vs. ARCHER receivers

Hi,
I was wondering, what is the difference between the two rx's?
Is it only the protocol (ACCST vs. ACCESS) or there is something else other than marketing purposes?

Thanks,
Eitan
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2020, 01:03 PM
Here is the data on them and they are FrSky's newest technology. They are designed to be used with the new FrSky ACCESS radios in ACCESS mode only. https://www.frsky-rc.com/frsky-arche...ivers-release/ They support Over The Air (OTA) firmware updates as well.

Mike
May 20, 2020, 01:05 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
RX series support ACCST D16, Archer receivers support OTA updates.

The R-XSR, RX6R, RX4R and G-RX receivers support ACCESS, the RX8R and RX8R Pro do not
May 20, 2020, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for answering, but is an actual performance difference? I know that they claim more range and strong link (as if ACCST doesn't)... they all claim these things

Eitan.
May 20, 2020, 01:38 PM
Dash till Puff
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitanro
Thank you for answering, but is an actual performance difference?

Eitan.
to me it's the same thing with and encrypted firmware to prevent the multi module radios makers from taking advantage of them
in short, they just want to sell new access-ready Tx's even though people do prefer the Radiomaster or Jumper
May 20, 2020, 01:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreless
to me it's the same thing with and encrypted firmware to prevent the multi module radios makers from taking advantage of them
in short, they just want to sell new access-ready Tx's even though people do prefer the Radiomaster or Jumper
Why the prefer that?
May 20, 2020, 01:51 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Thank you for answering, but is an actual performance difference? I know that they claim more range and strong link (as if ACCST doesn't)... they all claim these things

Eitan.
The range upgrade came with the RX/G-RX series (again, excepting the RX8R/RX8R Pro), it's quite real, but not a differentiator between these two lines.

David Webb's got some very extensive testing of this, drop him a line and I'm sure he'll give you all the details.

(I thought you flew Graupner ;-) - PS I know a source in the GTA for Graupner RX's, Pinnacle Hobby has a selection in stock now)
May 20, 2020, 02:26 PM
Dash till Puff
Quote:
Why the prefer that?
why ? LOL

1287 pre orders.
2437 wishlist
XxXx others

https://www.banggood.com/RadioMaster...r_warehouse=CN
May 20, 2020, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The range upgrade came with the RX/G-RX series (again, excepting the RX8R/RX8R Pro), it's quite real, but not a differentiator between these two lines.

David Webb's got some very extensive testing of this, drop him a line and I'm sure he'll give you all the details.

(I thought you flew Graupner ;-) - PS I know a source in the GTA for Graupner RX's, Pinnacle Hobby has a selection in stock now)
Thank you.
I think that Webb did a lot of testing with the 900 mhz system, not sure about the 2.4 Ghz.
Now that Graupner will have no firmware/software updates and the receivers will stay the same size and weight, it's a problem for me (there a few things that I would very much like to change).
that being said, the Graupner is by far the BEST build quality radio I have ever owned, the only radio that might be better quality is Jeti but it's just overpriced IMO, I know that I will miss the quality feel of the MZ-24 (especially the switches)
I am going to use the RX6 for my DLG's and the RX8/RX8 pro (what's the difference?)

Eitan.
May 20, 2020, 02:49 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Webb also tested the 2.4 stuff very extensively and has been doing a bunch of ACCESS-related testing on 2.4 lately.

He's got a lot of posts on the Horus X10 thread covering both 2.4GHz and 900MHz.
May 20, 2020, 02:50 PM
Dash till Puff
Quote:
the Graupner is by far the BEST build quality radio I have ever owned

Eitan.
Graupner mz24 ?
May 20, 2020, 02:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
For receivers in a FAI-legal ship, I'd honestly run the RX6R across the board, and use an SBus decoder to get additional channels if needed.

the RX8R is noticeably shorter ranged than the RX6R and quite large, the RX8R Pro is just an RX8R with some ignition-specific adaptations for gas planes.

Really, the G-RX8 would be the go-to for F5J, but it's not competition legal.
May 20, 2020, 03:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Graupner mz24 ?
Yep... MZ-24 PRO, really top notch radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
For receivers in a FAI-legal ship, I'd honestly run the RX6R across the board, and use an SBus decoder to get additional channels if needed.

the RX8R is noticeably shorter ranged than the RX6R and quite large, the RX8R Pro is just an RX8R with some ignition-specific adaptations for gas planes.

Really, the G-RX8 would be the go-to for F5J, but it's not competition legal.
Really? shorter range? wow, that's very surprising to me...
I prefer not to use s-bus decoders, for me more components = potential failure points, and I don't to lose my 3,000$ toy because of something that small, but if the RX8 has smaller range, that's an issue to me when flying at the edge of line of sight with a 4 meter monster.

Thanks for the info,
EItan
May 20, 2020, 03:40 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Yep... MZ-24 PRO, really top notch radio

Really? shorter range? wow, that's very surprising to me...
I prefer not to use s-bus decoders, for me more components = potential failure points, and I don't to lose my 3,000$ toy because of something that small, but if the RX8 has smaller range, that's an issue to me when flying at the edge of line of sight with a 4 meter monster.

Thanks for the info,
EItan
The RX8R and RX8R pro use the original RF frontend for the X series receivers (the RX8R is just an X8R with different firmware, the RX8R Pro has a modified version to solve some interference issues with ignitions)

The other RX-series receivers have a newer and more sensitive frontend, which is really the 2nd generation D16 frontend, so they are 25-40% longer ranged. This is shared with the G-RX receivers and the new Archer receivers are a development. This new frontend is where the longer range advertised for ACCESS comes from.

There's a good reason why there's a D8R-II in my Supra and not an X8R. The D8 receivers outranged the 1st gen D16's, the 2nd gen D16's outrange D8.
May 20, 2020, 05:11 PM
Quote:
why ? LOL

1287 pre orders.
2437 wishlist
XxXx others

https://www.banggood.com/RadioMaster...r_warehouse=CN
Still doesn't answer the why people prefer them.

Quick Reply