May 19, 2020, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

just crashed my DLG :-(

Hi all,

I just crashed my dlg... don't understand what happended.

I fly it since more than 2 months, flew about 30hours without any problem.

This evening an evening flight with some activity, a little bit of wind.
Suddenly after one hour of flight is went down in a spiral from about 20m height.
It happende really fast
It felt like I had no control anymore. (on the logs I can see that elevator, rudder and aileron are maxed out... something I didn't do while flying, I tried to correct during the crash

RSSi ok, Bat RX and TX ok ... don't understand.

New taranis radio X9D plus an G-RX6 receiver.

Maybe an exerienced flyer can give his opinion on what could have happened... I've attached the logs from that flight...
Crash happened at 21u06...

Luckily it felt in a fresh (soft) potato field, fuselage is broken just at the end of the wind saddle... for the rest no damage...

nayy
Last edited by nayy; May 19, 2020 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2020, 04:39 PM
Team Crunch Brothers
Were you recording battery voltage in your telemetry? Any spikes there?
May 19, 2020, 05:24 PM
55 rssi right before you hit the ground is sortof low iirc. That's where I used to set one of my warnings.

Sounds like a failsafe to me. You can adjust the control surface deflection in the event of a failsafe, yours might not have been set up properly causing the max deflection? Probably good to set it to full flaps some up elevator.

what's your antenna placement?
May 19, 2020, 05:30 PM
mth
mth
Had mine spiral down also.
May 19, 2020, 05:41 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Did everything work again as normal when you recovered the plane?

And did you test what happens with your servo throws when you shut down the transmitter? If the servos max out after you break the connection then this may have been an failsafe reaction following a disconnect.

But, are you sure you lost the connection? Your RSSI suggest you did not loose connection (55 is reasonable and should not give you issues)

Could it have been a pilot error? You may have lost orientation. It happens sometimes that you think the plane is turning one direction but in fact it is turning the other direction. When you got the orientation mixed up and the plane stalls you are likely to steer extra in the same direction, supporting the stall.

With a low sun and the plane far away and at lower level, you may be tricked in thinking you look at the top of the plane, but in fact you were looking at the bottom.

I am sorry to suggest this but loosing orientation in flight happens, also with experienced pilots. When you recognise it in time, and you are not too low, you can correct and safe the plane.
May 20, 2020, 12:31 AM
Agreed, 55 RSSI is well above the 45 warning on ACCST and 35 on ACCESS.

Was everything operating when you got to the model?
May 20, 2020, 10:39 AM
Just another user...
OpenTX logs for Throttle, Aileron, Rudder and Elevator are for stick deflection. Since max deflection commands show up on the log, it all happened on the TX side. There is no telemetry for what the RX sends to the servos.

Apart from that one large aileron command just before you lost altitude, It is likely that the max stick deflections in the log is your instinctive response to what you saw happening.

I presume this was your Auri. Was it badly damaged?
Last edited by dingrrcg; May 20, 2020 at 10:52 AM.
May 20, 2020, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgdude
Were you recording battery voltage in your telemetry? Any spikes there?
No, perfect straight... no dips in voltage for RX or TX...
May 20, 2020, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoakedCardinal
55 rssi right before you hit the ground is sortof low iirc. That's where I used to set one of my warnings.

Sounds like a failsafe to me. You can adjust the control surface deflection in the event of a failsafe, yours might not have been set up properly causing the max deflection? Probably good to set it to full flaps some up elevator.

what's your antenna placement?
failsafe was not setup... I should have probably done it...
But RSSI was not low enough to have a failsafe I think...

antennas were both oriented to the back in the pod... away from metal and wires... it's a kevlar pod, so 2.4 ghz safe.
May 20, 2020, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbrik
Did everything work again as normal when you recovered the plane?

And did you test what happens with your servo throws when you shut down the transmitter? If the servos max out after you break the connection then this may have been an failsafe reaction following a disconnect.

But, are you sure you lost the connection? Your RSSI suggest you did not loose connection (55 is reasonable and should not give you issues)

Could it have been a pilot error? You may have lost orientation. It happens sometimes that you think the plane is turning one direction but in fact it is turning the other direction. When you got the orientation mixed up and the plane stalls you are likely to steer extra in the same direction, supporting the stall.

With a low sun and the plane far away and at lower level, you may be tricked in thinking you look at the top of the plane, but in fact you were looking at the bottom.

I am sorry to suggest this but loosing orientation in flight happens, also with experienced pilots. When you recognise it in time, and you are not too low, you can correct and safe the plane.
Yes, the plane was laying in the field... everyting worked. when I recoverd it...

When I switch of the transmitter, servos remain in their last position... they don't max out. When I switch on again evertying works again...

I don't think it was an error from my side... I already flew the plane for many hours... I was spiraling in one direction, and suddenly it went faster and faster. I remember I said to myself, s*** he is not responding anymore and that i was wigling the gimballs... but this is not noticable in the logs, (or it is my imagination) everyting went so fast...
I don't know if a downdraft can cause this...
I flew the plane almost overhead and only 30m high...
May 20, 2020, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
OpenTX logs for Throttle, Aileron, Rudder and Elevator are for stick deflection. Since max deflection commands show up on the log, it all happened on the TX side. There is no telemetry for what the RX sends to the servos.

Apart from that one large aileron command just before you lost altitude, It is likely that the max stick deflections in the log is your instinctive response to what you saw happening.

I presume this was your Auri. Was it badly damaged?
Yes, its my auri...
I was lucky it felt in a fresh potato field, dry soft ground.
I think I hit the ground first with a wingtip and that voilent movement snapped the fuselage Just under the wing saddle at the back...
It makes the same noice of a dry branch that is snapped...
One wingtip (the one that hit the ground) has also some delamination, but a few drops of CA will solve this.
I expected much more damage...

I think it is repearable, the allignment of the fuselage will be the hardest part...
Last edited by nayy; May 20, 2020 at 03:56 PM.
May 20, 2020, 07:28 PM
There was a really great boom repair thread a while back.

Here's some of my repair ideas, also, with a boom brace to hold it in alignment

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-alignment

(Edit: my idea and thread was not the really great one I remember reading..)
Last edited by dan1d; May 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM.
May 21, 2020, 02:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Agreed, 55 RSSI is well above the 45 warning on ACCST and 35 on ACCESS.

Was everything operating when you got to the model?
Yes , all electronics were still working. Exept the boom that was snapped ☹️ .
May 21, 2020, 02:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1d
There was a really great boom repair thread a while back.

Here's some of my repair ideas, also, with a boom brace to hold it in alignment

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-alignment
Thx !
May 21, 2020, 10:37 AM
To clarify.. my thread is NOT the amazing one.. there was another. I'll post a link if I find it

Quick Reply