May 19, 2020, 03:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Who makes a 24cc to 26cc gas engine of equal or better quality than the Zenoah G26?

Who makes a 24cc to 26cc 2-stroke gas engine of equal or better quality than the Zenoah G26 for airplane applications? I know the Zenoah is a bit on the heavy side, but I don't care about weight for what I'm doing. I also don't care about ignition system type. I'm just looking for something strictly between 24cc and 26cc in size that offers good performance and will last a long time. Also, it would be nice to not have to spend a bunch more than what the Zenoah G26 currently goes for. Thanks!
Last edited by bkalina; May 19, 2020 at 03:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2020, 09:19 PM
Since nobody's replied yet, here's my speculation. I have a couple of Stinger engines, 10cc and 15cc that run great so far. They're still fairly new. A couple of buddy's in the club have the 20cc and 35cc and both love them so far. Still fairly new, but all of them running good so far. VQ Warbirds sells the stinger line of engines and has the new 26cc. Based on mine and others experiences, I'd be willing to give it a shot. The Stinger series definitely runs better than the old rcgf engine molds.
Edwin
May 20, 2020, 06:01 AM
"Last a long time" is pretty subjective. If you're thinking the purpose built model engines are trashed and need to be rebuilt at the beginning of every season, you're WAY off. I have some that are still flying great with quite a bit of time on them, including DLE and RCGF, that have never been apart.

Some of the stuff written about these engines early on, when the "alphabet" engines from China were first coming out, has been proven incorrect some time ago.....
May 20, 2020, 09:25 AM
Quote:
=ahicks;44563573
Some of the stuff written about these engines early on, when the "alphabet" engines from China were first coming out, has been proven incorrect some time ago.....
Yep... one of those alphabet engine I bought was an MLD-28 that sold so cheap, it was hard to let it pass. However it sat NIB on the shelf for ten years or more in part because of the reputation it got.

This winter, I replaced a crashed Ultra Stick Lite 120 with an Ultra Stick 30cc and needed an engine so pulled the MLD dog from the shelf and tested it,,,, hmmm.... it ran pretty good... and was light... and the side muffler and carb was of no issue on the stick. It pulls the 30cc US straight up like a scalded dog. The engine wasn't the dog I'd been led to believe.
Last edited by AA5BY; May 20, 2020 at 09:39 AM.
May 20, 2020, 03:34 PM
Fly low and fast
DLE 20, RCGF 26, 3W 28i, DLE 30 to name a few. Depending on application
May 20, 2020, 04:28 PM
I think folks hesitated because not many and maybe no engines are better than a Zenoah.
May 20, 2020, 04:33 PM
A man with too many toys
Why not get a big 4-stroke. They run smoother and sound much better.
May 20, 2020, 05:04 PM
And convert it to run on gas because gas costs less.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
May 20, 2020, 06:12 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighcopter
And convert it to run on gas because gas costs less.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Many big 4-strokes like Saito already come as gasoline burners.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ine---0.0-2.00

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXJCWD&P=0

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXJCWE&P=0

My favorite engine of all times - someday I will have to build an airplane large enough to put one on!
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXLTPE&P=K

May 20, 2020, 06:48 PM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
I think folks hesitated because not many and maybe no engines are better than a Zenoah.
To be honest, I seriously doubt that.
No contest, they are very popular engines and probably market leader in their displacement segment, but the best? I don't even think it comes close.
They are just semi-Industrial powerplants, after all…

But value for money, most likely you are right.
May 20, 2020, 07:44 PM
Spent the last few days rebuilding a few Shindaiwa Engines .. 24 cc typically.
These are Beautifully Engineered and built. Seriously impressive engines. Mine have ~500 + Actual run hours and the wear was Minimal. They will easily reach 1000 hours
Move over OS. Yes they are That! good. I've seen Motorcycle engines that aren't as well thought out /made. Full needle races big and small ends fitted with thrust washers ! Eutectic cast twin ringed pistons, Chrome lined bore. Double web pressed together cranks. Oversized crank ball races with seperate seal assemblies. Ignition modules with inbuilt advance curves. .
Or you could buy some guys' relabeled low grade utility engine. like most all Toy airplane ones .
May 20, 2020, 11:29 PM
If you like the Zenoah, why not just get that?

John
May 21, 2020, 02:28 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker
Yeah, what's the problem?
May 21, 2020, 02:50 AM
Yeah punk whats ya problem ????????????????
May 21, 2020, 03:12 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker

John
" If you like your Zenoah, you can keep your Zenoah"

(just a joke, nothing more nothing less, NO political statement)

Quick Reply