May 18, 2020, 05:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The Light 'n Easy Foamie Scratchbuild

Work in progress, but it kept me entertained for a couple of weekends and it's flying! :-)

One-of-a-kind ZBlue Light 'n Easy Twin - Build & Maiden (8 min 20 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2020, 06:07 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Elegant and refined, Zackster! Looked as if the CG could come forward and/or elevator throw reduced with some expo?
With such a short-coupled tail you could probably treat the CG as for a flying wing - say 20% chord?
Cheers, and have fun,
PeteM
May 18, 2020, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
Elegant and refined, Zackster! Looked as if the CG could come forward and/or elevator throw reduced with some expo?
With such a short-coupled tail you could probably treat the CG as for a flying wing - say 20% chord?
Cheers, and have fun,
PeteM
Thanks Petem. The CG at 30% glides quite well so I'll leave it there for now. What I've realised is that my initial two versions of the tailplane/elevator is still essentially an airfoil. So of course, the faster I go, the more lift the tail itself is generating; and the last thing you want is a tail which wants to lift when you go faster! I think that explains the roller-coaster ride when I throttle up.

So I've pulled it apart and working to flatten the tailplane. Photo is after I've shaved about 30% off the top.
Last edited by ZaksterBlue; May 18, 2020 at 06:31 PM.
May 20, 2020, 01:43 AM
Proudly Littering Upwards
Finally, another builder who uses "chilly-bin" foam! Doesn't seem to be many of us nowadays. Interesting flyer - I've heard people joke about a pilot having their throttle on an on/off switch, but never the elevator. :P Looks like you got it tamed in the end though.
May 21, 2020, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBinChicken
Finally, another builder who uses "chilly-bin" foam! Doesn't seem to be many of us nowadays. Interesting flyer - I've heard people joke about a pilot having their throttle on an on/off switch, but never the elevator. :P Looks like you got it tamed in the end though.
Oh cool, any links to your builds?

I found out last night that EPS really doesn't like superglue - melted both parts I was trying to patch! haha...

I've made the tailplane and new (smaller) elevator simple and symmetrical now, so the plane should behave on the next outing.
May 21, 2020, 04:12 PM
crash expert
This is great.. Well done.
I always wanted a twin engine plane. This puts one in my reach

Quick Reply