This thread is privately moderated by atreis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 17, 2020, 01:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

TopFlite DC3

It's nearly finished. I might do another round of putty and sanding before I paint. Or not. Not sure.

The cowls in the photo are just sitting on the mounts, not screwed in, so if they look a little off that's why. The ailerons are on my workbench. I forgot to set them out for the photos. You can see the scale retracts, scale rudder. and kind of make out the split flaps. No doubt you'll also immediately see a couple dozen flaws. (I know I do!) This is my 6th build.

Modifications: Large battery hatch (and battery tray, not pictured), reduced the wing dihedral, used linear servos instead of air for the retracts, and invisible linkages for the flaps.

I've kicked around reducing the motor downthrust. (I designed and 3D printed the motor mounts, so could easily reduce it ...) It really looks like a lot to me, but I don't know why they might have done that. It's built into the design of the firewall, and definitely not one of my many mistakes. It's also visible in the photo of the finished plane on the cover of the manual. The full scale has a little, but no where near as much.
Latest blog entry: TopFlite DC3
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2020, 05:36 PM
I thought the angles on the motors were way off too after I built mine, but it flies great and is somewhat manageable on one engine. I'd leave it as designed and fly it. Than if you want to make changes you'll know if they have helped or hurt. I think it was on the old Top flite website where they had an interview with the designer of the kit. If I remember correctly it took many trials of these angles to get to what's the final design.

Jeff
May 21, 2020, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltime
I thought the angles on the motors were way off too after I built mine, but it flies great and is somewhat manageable on one engine. I'd leave it as designed and fly it. Than if you want to make changes you'll know if they have helped or hurt. I think it was on the old Top flite website where they had an interview with the designer of the kit. If I remember correctly it took many trials of these angles to get to what's the final design.

Jeff
That's good to know! I'll leave it alone until after I fly it. At the moment I'm waiting for a break in the weather so that I can paint (outside).
Latest blog entry: TopFlite DC3

Quick Reply