This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 14, 2020, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

All moving elevator ( 3D print )

Leaving off from Revision 1 > https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-TinkerCad-ing

There had to be some minor design changes .

Rather than two pins to make the hinge , I extended the main pin and than made a washer to go on the end .
I also increased the internal channel for the carbon tube for less hand fitting .

Viola , Revision 1.3 works ..
Washer snaps in place = Yeah !
Carbon 3mm square tube needs minimum hand fitting = Yeah !

Weight = 0.97 grams / 0.034oz /

Now back to trying to design a Pod .. / nose / canopy / fuse ... ( 1st was a huge fail )

Last edited by old4570; May 14, 2020 at 11:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2020, 08:13 AM
Running jokes into the ground
Nice looking design! just a thought though, 3d prints are weakest in the direction perpendicular to the layers, as the bond between the layers is usually much weaker than the strength of the layers themselves, and is extremely subjective to temperatures/print conditions. It may be in your interest to design the part in such a way that the hinging mechanism can be printed on its side and glued/assembled into the base so the printer can draw a complete perimeter around the hinge. That way your weakest axis is the one requiring the least force.

That being said, that's a really nice print quality for something under a gram, what machine/material are you running?
May 18, 2020, 06:11 PM
Thread OP
Geeetech A10 0.4mm nozzle ..
Nozzle temp 215 C

Honestly , I am not having issue with strength ..
So far , as long as you make the parts thick enough , they seem to be very strong . ( For plastic )
Maybe it's the print temp ?

Though if you use enough force I am sure they will break .

But think in relative terms .
The foam I will use for the Fins will break ( most likely ) before these PLA parts .
Also , so little PLA is used in the print that if you should crash and break something , just print out another .

I just recently dropped my UMX Whip onto its rudder and killed the vertical fin and had to make another . That's RC for you , stuff breaks .

Again , so far . If I design the parts not to be weak , they seem to have plenty of strength . Especially considering the application .

I am currently designing a Printed DLG for the V911 flight control board , isn't that fun .
Yeah , the V911 flight board is now hard to find .
But I ran out of F949 flight boards ..

I have printed out quite a few ideas . Nose cones are fun !!!
And weight obviously is a serious consideration VS strength .
Actually I did a video showing how far my idea has come ..

Quick Reply