Oct 01, 2020, 07:58 AM
Wingman
Thread OP
Mine is still sitting about, cant find a buyer for it, may end up getting it out at some point and crashing it, or next time ebay do £1 max selling fee fire it on there along with the thermic aggressor glider
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2020, 09:53 PM
Never got off the ground. Ouch!! Nosed over and good bye prop. Oh well, could have been a lot worse I suppose.
Oct 11, 2020, 10:11 AM
Wingman
Thread OP
I have done a big U-turn i listed the ascent on fleabay, then the cogs started to whine and whir in the head, "do i really want rid of it.........just maybe not so it can stay in attic for a while and just maybe i will fly it
Oct 11, 2020, 10:22 AM
It's a good plane. As long a 3D and Aerobatics are not on your list of things to do with it. It's just a good plane. Smooth and fun. FYI, I am sticking with 3s 2200 and 12" prop. No stab or gyros either. Since I have learned how to takeoff this plane (very slow rollup) its been a joy. A little elevator I rotate a touch over 50% throttle.
Oct 11, 2020, 12:20 PM
Wingman
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter
It's a good plane. As long a 3D and Aerobatics are not on your list of things to do with it. It's just a good plane. Smooth and fun. FYI, I am sticking with 3s 2200 and 12" prop. No stab or gyros either. Since I have learned how to takeoff this plane (very slow rollup) its been a joy. A little elevator I rotate a touch over 50% throttle.
Yes when i decide to do it will pop an RX back in and give it a whirl, i usually fly with a guardian fitted, maybe this will be the plane i fly proper, do you get cg with a single 2200 3s
Oct 11, 2020, 01:03 PM
Yes. All the way forward. Also I hadn't mentioned. I cut an additional "battery hatch" centered on the windscreen at the top and down towards the cowling. Maybe ~50mm wide X 12cm long. The other side of the wood battery tray is ideal for RX and Guardian mounting (it's oriented correctly there). I just hinge "the door" with white carton tape and black-out the wind screen area for appearances. Works very well.
Oct 12, 2020, 01:18 AM
Hello. I just purchased this plane as my first introduction to flying. I have about 6 months practice on the sim and have a decent handle on flying characteristics. This however will be my first real flight. My box arrived from BG absolutely destroyed and sliced wide open from end to end. I was super sad to see its state and guessed many parts will be missing and/or destroyed. To my surprise the kit was 100% fine.

I'm glad to have found this thread. I hope my electronics last a few flights as others have noted ESC problems. I'll post back once it cools down just a bit more here in AZ and I can get out for a nice day.
Oct 12, 2020, 01:32 AM
Wingman
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixinBlades
Hello. I just purchased this plane as my first introduction to flying. I have about 6 months practice on the sim and have a decent handle on flying characteristics. This however will be my first real flight. My box arrived from BG absolutely destroyed and sliced wide open from end to end. I was super sad to see its state and guessed many parts will be missing and/or destroyed. To my surprise the kit was 100% fine.

I'm glad to have found this thread. I hope my electronics last a few flights as others have noted ESC problems. I'll post back once it cools down just a bit more here in AZ and I can get out for a nice day.
Take a little time to build it right, watch out putting the decals on, they are a bugger for tucking round on themselves hope you get it flying right, re the esc, i fitted a hobbywing 50amp to mine
Oct 12, 2020, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Reacher
Take a little time to build it right, watch out putting the decals on, they are a bugger for tucking round on themselves hope you get it flying right, re the esc, i fitted a hobbywing 50amp to mine

Noted, thank you for the ESC recommendation.
Oct 16, 2020, 01:56 AM
Hi,
Can someone kindly explain how the motor is mounted in these planes? I watched several "build" videos but it seemed like the motor was pre-mounted and they just attached the prop and spinner.
I'm wondering about buying the kit version but I thought I read that the motor was a bit unusual in that it was mounted backwards and had an extended rear shaft for the prop. This would make the choice of aftermarket motors much more limited. It also implies the motor mounting bulkhead must be right at the front. I did spot one video where someone fitted a Sunnysky motor after butchering much of the front of the plane.
If it looks too difficult I will stick to my Epoch which readily took a very standard Racerstar motor.
If anyone has done a kit build can they please indicate what motor they used.

Best regards,
David
Oct 16, 2020, 07:39 AM
Mounting the motor for this model is a pain. But I have done it several times. The Volantex 4023 KV19150 is the only motor that fits that is readily available. The long shaft is why. The motor front (the end with no wires) must be pushed forward from behind. Access is through the battery hatch. The trick is getting the first (of four) mounting screws started. The planes motor mount is molded into the nose exterior. I use a 10" piece of very thin and stiff piano wire and pass it threw the first mount hole and in to the associated hole on the motor. The seeing during this process is difficult but it can be done. Once threw, the motor is pushed all the way forward until it stops. Hold it there, remove the wire and start a screw. Prepare to do the same with the second screw. Get all the screws started, then snug them down. The first time I did this was a grind. The second time was really no problem. I learned that by inserting the wire in both holes while the motor front is still visible in the "battery area" and then pushing the motor home helped. Good luck, be patient or just get the PNP.

Jim
Oct 16, 2020, 11:58 AM
Wingman
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter
Mounting the motor for this model is a pain. But I have done it several times. The Volantex 4023 KV19150 is the only motor that fits that is readily available. The long shaft is why. The motor front (the end with no wires) must be pushed forward from behind. Access is through the battery hatch. The trick is getting the first (of four) mounting screws started. The planes motor mount is molded into the nose exterior. I use a 10" piece of very thin and stiff piano wire and pass it threw the first mount hole and in to the associated hole on the motor. The seeing during this process is difficult but it can be done. Once threw, the motor is pushed all the way forward until it stops. Hold it there, remove the wire and start a screw. Prepare to do the same with the second screw. Get all the screws started, then snug them down. The first time I did this was a grind. The second time was really no problem. I learned that by inserting the wire in both holes while the motor front is still visible in the "battery area" and then pushing the motor home helped. Good luck, be patient or just get the PNP.

Jim
Yes fitting the motor is a pain, but i have done a couple of phoenix models so knew what i was up against, also i would like a better motor but not a huge choice, some of the surpass hobby motors might work but have large diameter shafts so would have to use a suitable prop mount, as i am still not sure if i will fly mine i will hold out on motor till i decide its future
Oct 16, 2020, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the motor information - very much appreciated.
It does sound like a proprietary Volantex motor is really the only option and as such I think I would give it a miss. Yes I could go with the PNP option but will the original motor still be available in 18 months when the bearings are shot and it needs replacing? (Yes - some of my planes have lasted 18 months.)
I shall keep looking for a big brother for the Epoch which was a lot more accommodating in the engine bay.
Thanks again guys - saved me from buying something that would have proved difficult to complete with an aftermarket motor.

Cheers,
David
Oct 24, 2020, 09:03 PM

New Owner

Hi All

I recently purchased the Volantex. This is my first plane larger that 40" WS. I am looking forward to getting the plane completed before the weather gets cold and snowy here. I am glad I was able to find this thread, I have read a lot of good information about the plane.

I did note the motor does look like it can be challenging to replace. I also like the idea about cutting in another hatch by the windshield for better access to electronics.

Thanks again for the information. I will post my progress when I get time.
Oct 24, 2020, 09:59 PM
Good to hear. The Ascent is just a good plane. Relaxing and a whole lot of fun.

Quick Reply