This thread is privately moderated by Vortrog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 13, 2020, 05:16 PM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP
Build Log

Douglas Skyraider AD-7 (A-1H) - C.A.P. Plan No.11 (1,587mm Wingspan)

Summary of Model and as built conditions / settings

Build Type Plywood Frame / Balsa covered in 1/4 Oz Fibreglass and Autopaint
Wingspan 62.5Inches (1587mm)
Wing Area TBCsq.Inch (TBCsq.cm)
Weight TBCkg Empty / TBCkg Fuelled
Length 48Inch (122cm)
Engine ASP 91 FS
Motor Size Recommended Merco 61
Prop Size TBC
Radio Spektrum 6 Channel
Battery Eneloop 5 cell 6V 2000mAh
Fuel Tank 12Oz (350ml)
Flight Time TBCMins
Stall Speed TBCkm/hr / TBCkm/hr
Centre of Gravity TBCmm

Control Throws
Ailerons High TBCDegrees / TBC% expo
Ailerons Low TBCDegrees / TBC% expo

Elevator High TBCDegrees / TBC% expo
Elevator Low TBCDegrees / TBC% expo

Rudder High TBCDegrees / TBC% expo
Rudder Low TBCDegrees / TBC% expo

Flight Characteristics
Not built yet! TBC

CONTENTS - TBC

INTRODUCTION
After the relative success of my first project, and my admiration of the flight characteristics of my Son's Durafly A1 Skyraider (1100mm), I decided that I would try to replicate that performance in a kit built project.

Of all the Skyraider plans I found, there was only one that was in the immediate range of 1600mm wingspan, and that was the David Taylor designed C.A.P Plan No.11 that I found on Outerzone. The Zirolli one looks brilliant, but would be out of my price range.

This version was designed in 1970. C.A.P stands for "Complete-A-Pac" and I understand they were good kits. I found one other reference to someone building this Skyraider and generally it sounds like it flew well. I was unable to find out too much about David R Taylor the designer.

I dont have the benefit of having a completed kit but fortunately, my local Kit Model manufacturer had the plans on hand and was able to CAD the parts, adjusting them for metric balsa/ply and laser cut them for me. Thankyou to Robert Phippen of Wolf Models for this service. https://www.wolfmodels.net/

The parts have been cut to metric equivalent sizes as I am using metric balsa and ply. the plan were also modified to allow the fitting of retracts (R3A, R4, R5, R6 & R7 are ready for hardwood gear mounts)

Model Plans are attached
Last edited by Vortrog; May 21, 2020 at 05:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2020, 12:03 AM
May 15, 2020, 08:04 PM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Wing 01: centre section

I started with the wing. First job is the centre section using the front and rear brace's and R1, R2 (2off), R3, R3A. I also installed R4 as it is bonded to R3 and noting that the next step is to asemble the outer wings and that R4 is the first element of the outer wings, I installed this as well in this stage.
I used wood glue for this centre section.
My ribs have been cut ready to install retractable gear (thankyou Wold Models)
Last edited by Vortrog; May 15, 2020 at 08:15 PM.
May 15, 2020, 08:07 PM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Fuse 01: building crutch

The fuselage build starts from vertical centre crutch than spans the entire fuselage.
It is built by
- first splicing 12.5mm x 6.5mm balsa to lengths,
- shave off the rear section to taper as per plans
- mark and notch both left and right crotch to accept cross braces
- fit cross braces and pin down on plan to shape / set
Last edited by Vortrog; May 15, 2020 at 08:22 PM.
May 16, 2020, 12:02 AM
Nice. Keep up the drive on this project!
May 16, 2020, 02:23 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
It needs a sound module

Douglas Skyraider - The "BIG IRON" Beast of Warbirds ! (2 min 6 sec)

May 16, 2020, 07:09 PM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Fuse 02: formers F7 to F13

My steps in doing this was(using wood glue so i had time)
- cut the wing seats off the plan
- dry fit F9 to F13 first
- pit and set F9 to f12
- glue but dont Pin F7 and F8
- pin and glue in the wing seats
- steam the upper crutch to shape
- install the upper crutch

Be careful at all times with alignment
May 20, 2020, 02:09 AM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Wing 02: assemble Port wing (ribs) onto centre section

Steps:

1. Cut and lay out the Balsa spars (1/4" x 1/8") (bottom of wing) onto either plan or traced baking paper. Pin in place.
2. Test position each wing rib
3. Now Glue the Balso spars to the Wing Braces and pin down to the table
4. Glue the Ribs into position. Use the Top Balsa spars to help ensure they are glued in vertically (check with a level or Set Square). Pin top spar to ribs and let dry
5. No add your Washout spacers under the ribs. I set my washout to around 1 degree and added spacers under the trailing edge Balsa spar as follows:
- R14 - 6mm
- R13 - 5mm
- R 12 - 4mm
- R 11 - 3mm
- R10 - 2mm
- R9 - 1mm
6. Now glue in your top spars and pin in place to dry
7. Mark out the 1+3/16" x 1/2" Balsa leading edge (I just used a 12.5mm panel...see below photos) and cut. I also notched the resulting leading edge at each rib to ensure a clean mate and bond with the ribs.
8. Mark and cut out the trailing edge aileron plate. Glue in place
9. With 2.5mm balsa sheet (grains running vertical), mark out and cut all the Balsa Sheer plates between the front and rear Balsa spars. You should just do 1 at a time as they are all slightly different.
10. Glue in all the Balsa Sheer Plates
Last edited by Vortrog; May 20, 2020 at 02:31 AM.
May 20, 2020, 02:33 AM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Best I can do is use a 4 stroke 91 but that sounds awesome
May 21, 2020, 01:16 AM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Alteration 01: Wing Incidence

I consulted with one of my mentor's regarding the Wing Incidence, and he advised me that the designed wing is a Clark Airfoil, and it sits at around 5 degrees positive incidence.

This is pretty high

I have decided to dial it back to between 0 and 1 degree, more like the Kyosho version
https://freercplans.com/plan-douglas...aider-4573.htm

By making a template of the airfoil, I placed it on the plans to test a suitable location.
The one I selected has the centreline of the wing intersect the fuse ribs approximately 80mm below the bottom of the horizontal crutch.

This will now make both the Horizontal Stab and Main Wing sit at 0 - 0 degrees respectively.

I made a Baking paper tracing of the new wing position and trimmed out the Wing seat (plus added some balsa filler) to set the new seat.

This new location will require a balsa trailing edge filler to the wing, but I can live with that.
Last edited by Vortrog; May 21, 2020 at 01:54 AM.
May 21, 2020, 01:12 PM
Nice update!!
May 24, 2020, 04:43 AM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Fuse 03 & 04: Engine Plate and Formers / Slip into crutch

This stage was very straightforward and as per the plans (Stage 3 & 4). I used 24 hour epoxy as cement for these parts.

Before I started Fuse 04 (Stage 4) I added the blasa strips to the bottom of the fuselage betwen F6 and F13

Be careful with the crutch when sliding in the nose assembly of F2to F6 as I broke one side of mine and had to add gussets to strengthen again.
Last edited by Vortrog; May 24, 2020 at 04:53 AM.
May 24, 2020, 05:26 AM
Son's Ground Crew
Thread OP

Fuse 05: Vertical Stabiliser

Placeholder for the Vertical Stabiliser Installation to be edited as I go

Quick Reply