May 12, 2020, 12:06 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Discussion

The UltraFly .............

Here's my EPP version of the Ultrix on a SuperFly platform. It's powered by two Racestar BR1306/4000kv motors spinning 4X4.5 props, two 10A ESCs, 5.6 gram digi MG servos, a 6ch RX and fed by a 2S 650 lipo. It's a 24 incher at 7.4 ounces RTF with a loading of 4.1 OPSF so you know it performs. It flies slow, it flies fast, has unlimited vertical and does all those extreme way out wacky maneuvers.

No plan, a TLAR.
Last edited by goldguy; May 13, 2020 at 02:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2020, 12:16 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Forget about adding a rudder to a flying wing to up the ante, just go with a twin and the differential thrust feature.
Last edited by goldguy; May 15, 2020 at 02:55 PM.
May 12, 2020, 12:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Looks good , do you have a flying video ?
May 12, 2020, 09:24 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I'll work on that.
May 12, 2020, 10:38 PM
Flying RC Models for 60 years.
Frank My Friend once again, you have out done yourself! Great looking Model!
I have two UMX Ultrix's! One for having way too much Fun and a Spare, so I can continue to have too much Fun!
Just to get a jump on everyone's questions, I have the fowling questions.
EPP, Thickness? I know you slice your own!
CF, Tubes, Rods or Flats and size?
Motors, Clockwise / Counter Clockwise Screw Threads?
Looks like a 3D Printed Motor Mount?
Props, CW / CCW, Brand?
Servo, weight / size?
Parts from Banggood?
Looks like there is no KFm Step, just Doubled up in the middle of the Wing?
How far out are the center of the Motor Shafts from the center line of the Wing, following the leading edge?
I think this will give everyone the info they need!
Waiting on a Flight video
Thanks for sharing your Great, Fun UltraFly with us guy's here on RCG's
I attached the Plan for the 24" SuperFly and a few other SuperFly Plans. Will have to figure out the Vertical Fin Dimensions for the 24".
I don't know what the Original SuperFly wingspan was!

Bobby
Last edited by Sixter; May 13, 2020 at 04:52 AM.
May 13, 2020, 03:50 AM
A very neat job.. Frank ... good idea

The KFm superfly clones here would modify easily.. the fins were just TLAR

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...KFm4-in-depron

remove the slot ..add the motor pods , lower spline and fins.. Note.. dont use two motors in slots, I tried that and the results were poor.. with the motors at the front it will be easier to fly

looks like a few of us were posting at the same time LOL

EDIT....
I made a quick sketchup plan for a KFm2-24inch version.. the KF layer adds a lot of impact resistance..
With the motors pods and props being quite forward, close to the front, a slightly extended nose , perhaps 2", similar to the ultrix could also be added , again for use as a bumper.
motor pods should be positioned to suit your setup and prop clearance..seen here they are at the mid wing position.
Last edited by davereap; May 25, 2020 at 01:30 AM.
May 13, 2020, 11:01 AM
davereap Yea, I made my original Post on Tuesday Night at 9:38pm. I woke up Wednesday morning around 3am and decided to look and see if there were any new Post on this Thread. There were no new Post at that Time. So, I decided to Edit my Post and add the Plans for the SuperFly that I had on File. To my surprise when I finished you had also Posted your material. I had read your Thread on the SuperFly a while back. And most of the Plans I have were Plans that you made. I was only trying to help out with this Thread. Thanks for your many Contributions to the Hobby

Bobby
May 13, 2020, 03:53 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
The Superfly platform is undoubtedly one of the very best extended deltas ever designed. I think the toed in flat tips add to it's flyability. My 24 incher is not an exact scaled down version, but close ................. I guess.

The servos are 5.6 digi MGs from BG, as is mostly everything else (except the lipos and RXs) and the props are Gemfans I got from a FB, 30 pairs for free. They're almost impossible to find now for some reason. I went with the 4X4.5 after seening a YT review/test and they are perfect.

Both motors have the CW thread, although have a few CCW ordered along with the new VGood (Turnigy) 6A ESCs. . The right motor spins CW and the left CCW, same as Ultrix, on printed mounts with 12mm bolt spacing that covers all my small RS motors.

My EPP is 8mm and the CF used is 1X3mm flats and 3mm rods for the LG. The doubler on the bottom serves only to connect the CF flats for rigidity and only goes back 3 1/2 from the nose. The motor CL is 5" from the wing's cord line and extend forwards enough for prop clearance.

The verticals have a base of 5", a tip of 2 1/2", are 4" high and slanted back at the tip by 3/4".

I've played around moving the CG to reduce the reflex so that inverted requires little down input, just enough to remind you that your upside down.

I got my DX6 TX programming from YT, it's an easy to do.

It's definitely not your grandfather's flying wing, but is my great grandchildren's great grandfather's for sure!!
Last edited by goldguy; May 13, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
May 13, 2020, 03:58 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
How this came about......................

The Ultrix became the number one in my fleet and needed a new friend as my other models have shunned it. You know, that green eyed monster.

Sad but true.
May 13, 2020, 04:44 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Forgot ............... only one flight mode................. extreme!!
May 13, 2020, 07:22 PM
Thanks Frank for answering all my questions, completly! I'm like you and anyone else that owns a Ultrix! It's all I wanta Fly!! It's Tough as Hell and The most Fun Flying I've had in years! I like it so much that I have a spare! So, if I break one I wont loose any time having Fun

Bobby
May 13, 2020, 08:02 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Got two too.

About the LE....................

I just did a bevel with a sharp blade and then smoothed out the edges with a sealing iron. In fact, I went over the whole air frame with the iron. It melts the fuzzies and 'tempers' the EPP for a nice shiny smooth surface that takes less paint.
May 15, 2020, 03:04 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
I cut two wings out ages ago based on this doodle. I was originally going to add a rudder like the FireFly version. But after being spoiled by the Ultrix................. well, the rest is history.
May 15, 2020, 04:27 PM
Frank I'm like you, I'm sold on this Twin Motor Thrust Differential Steering

Bobby
May 17, 2020, 06:04 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Fiddled with the programming/CG today to get it on the same level as the Ultrix. It's a tall order and probably not obtainable. Still, works OK, but not violent enough.

Got a few more tweaks to try.

Quick Reply