May 19, 2020, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad
I've had a couple of the original 120S helis and they are fine if all you want to do is fly around upright in patterns. I still have one going. They are prone to a wobble until they get going. I don't know if they've addressed that in the new version. I always imagined it's due to the very low HS. They are pretty tough except for the boom which is what breaks most of the time. Any wind over 5 mph makes them not so much fun to fly.

You definitely need the AL swash but anything else like on the Nano just weighs it down quite a bit.
None of my 120 S' have ever exhibited a wobble with stock or after adding aftermarket parts. (Check that! I bent a Rotor Head Linkage "dog bone" (BLH3115) once that caused a nasty wobble).

My airframes are being modded for use with scale bodies (BCX Jetranger, ESKY Hunter (EC120), and I have a EC145 on order from Germany). So weight is extremely important.

The stock main shaft and head assy (incl. grips) weigh the same as a fully upgraded Microheli unit at 86g. I'm using a stock frame and will not be utilizing the boom as the tail motor will be affixed to the body (though I am interested in the Rakon tail motor mount for its cooling potential and the Fleabay heli that should be here in a day so has one installed).

Capgun_Slim- If you buy a 120 S or S2 and break a boom; 'let me know and I'll send you one

BrokeDad knows much more about the 120 S than I, though I also feel we're looking for different things from it. Mine are primarily house cats.
Last edited by chickenhawk; May 20, 2020 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2020, 06:27 PM
Thanks to both you Chickenhawk, and Brokedad for the information. I only have about a month and a half of flying behind me, so any and all information is very valuable to me.

I'm progressing very quickly, and having so much fun with them, I really wish I would've gotten into it sooner. But, then again, Helis weren't nearly as advanced as they are today, when I started in the fixed wing flying in 2003.
May 20, 2020, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capgun_Slim
Thanks to both you Chickenhawk, and Brokedad for the information. I only have about a month and a half of flying behind me, so any and all information is very valuable to me.

I'm progressing very quickly, and having so much fun with them, I really wish I would've gotten into it sooner. But, then again, Helis weren't nearly as advanced as they are today, when I started in the fixed wing flying in 2003.
Amazing how far fixed wing has come.. My first fixed wing RC bird was a Cox .049 Cessna 182.. I spent more time applying the decals than I was actually able to control it.. LOL!

I like Blade helis.. I doubt that I'll ever go any larger than Maybe a 230 V2 (and probably not). I'm having a ton of fun flying my Blade 120 S'
May 23, 2020, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhawk
Amazing how far fixed wing has come.. My first fixed wing RC bird was a Cox .049 Cessna 182.. I spent more time applying the decals than I was actually able to control it.. LOL!

I like Blade helis.. I doubt that I'll ever go any larger than Maybe a 230 V2 (and probably not). I'm having a ton of fun flying my Blade 120 S'
I love that line about the applying of the decals, LOL!

Yeah, that is VERY old skool. I remember those planes very well, I can still picture it in my head. I've wanted to fly RC since I was very young, but, it just wasn't in the cards for me. Nobody to teach me, no clubs, nothing. My dad always liked watching them as I did. We have a National Championship Air Race here every September. It's a 4 day event. I used to beg my dad to get us there the moment they open the gates, because that's when the RC guys would fly their planes for the crowds coming in, and before the airshow would start. So I only got to see them once a year, but I loved every minute of it.

My first plane was a GWS Slow Stick. And yes, like you, I spent the more time putting the German Cross decals on, then actually flying the first time, LOL!

That 230 V2 is definitely on my list of Helis I want to get. It might be my next one in fact. I want some more fly time on my Blade 70S and my Blade Nano S2 before I get that 230 though. Along with plenty of Sim time flying the 230 V2 on there as well. I can't say if I'm going to go larger than that. I may go for a 330, but, not in the near future, and nothing larger than that either.

Quick Reply