Apr 17, 2005, 09:00 PM
Thread OP

First flight with my Alfa mig.....wow

Well I finally finished my Mig, With all the help from the people in ezone. Man did I receive some great help. Thanks guys. Well I am running the brushless himax with the 1500 3s tanics. The mig weighs 17.5 oz. Not to bad seeing that I used about 10pounds of Epoxy to hold the wings together. Ok..I went behind my house and put the mig down and Juiced it up....glided over the grass like a hover craft. It got to the end of our lawn and it went up in the air. Man that plane was not even going fast and got off the ground..I throttled back and glided down..wow that was cool. The next day I went behind the school and throttled it up in deep grass....no go....found some thin grass and after about 5 trys finally got enough speed up and the mig jumped off the ground ...ya jumped......and it went up at about a 45 degree angle...kept going up..and up and up..eventually it was at 90 degrees about 40 feet off the ground..yep, I was looking at a stall here and saw flashbacks of other migs which where crushed with one bad crash...oh man..I Juiced it up to full throttle and gave some down elevator and it leveled off but then started to spin..50 feet in the air..wow was it touchy.....went left...then right then left then right...eventually I got the hand of the allerons and during this time I kept trimming it down till it would not trim down no more. At one point it was about 100 feet in the air and it staled and went into a "zagi death spiral" that is the best way I can describe it....well knowing what to do because I had plenty of these spiralls I gave down until gained enough speed about 10 feet from the ground pulled back and it was so smoooooth when it recovered.....I then relized I trimmed it all the way down but it still would go up at about 45 degree angle when I throttled up all the way so I just stayed about 1/2 throttle and cruzed around...I was amazed how slow and stable it flew.....after 4 min of trimming, saving it from stalls and throttling it up to get out of trouble I thought I should just glide in for a landing....throttled off...and wow was it easy to land...just glided it down.....very nice.....
couple things I relized..:
1. This plane is not a quiet plane...wow is it loud!!!!! But sounds cool
2. Every once in awhile it would sputter...kinda like a glitch. I put the antenna outside the inside tube of the mig. I am thinking I should put it outside the plane like others have it.
3. My alleron gets stuck when I turn left about 1/4 of an inch until I go the other way then it straightens out........I will probably just keep working it to loosen it up...
Conclusion....Man I am looking foreward to flying this plane........what fun.....I am just concerned about the flight times...seems to be sucking up electrons a ton when it is on full throttle.......and I wish I could get some cool air to the esc to cool it..............and the battery......
Thanks for all your help guys!!! thanks
Bill
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2005, 01:02 AM
Took her at the fair in Dortmund at Friday, built her at Saturday. Going to maiden her today if it is not raining. Weight 450g , thrust checked with kitchen scale 450g.

Heiner
Apr 18, 2005, 04:14 AM
tow
tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiner Skroblin
Took her at the fair in Dortmund at Friday, built her at Saturday. Going to maiden her today if it is not raining. Weight 450g , thrust checked with kitchen scale 450g.

Heiner
Way to go Heiner!
Look exactly like mine. You can cut the thrust-tube protuding out off the back flush with the fuselage. Looks even more scale. Happy flying!
Apr 18, 2005, 10:01 AM
Fly R/C writer
Hi Bill,

Good to hear you have put the MiG into the air, and now you have experience on that zooming thing. At least you were prepared for that. I have not seen that happen on mine and I throttle up to 100% power all the time with no noticeable change in attitude or trim...it just goes flat out! The sputter thing is definitely radio glitches and that is actually pretty normal in the sky. I don't think you will ever get away from an occasional glitch. We did some video of the wing flight surfaces a long time ago to see what happens up thee, and it was amazing how many glitches occur up there....dozens! FM less than AM and PCM is almost inperceptable as they simply lock out a bad signal and leave the servos where they were last. But to be sure, an ESC hooked to a motor will give you an audio sound signal to indicate a glitch, and that's when you hear that sputter. But hey, that's radio and congrats on your new MiG!

Mlee8249
Apr 18, 2005, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for all your help mlee. Now if I can get away from coaching enough to fly the sucker!!!!!!!!!......I wonder if there will be less glitches if the antenna is not waving in the wind...and if I have it come out of the cockpit instead of through the plane.........Might as well try..thanks
Apr 18, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hi,
nice plane, is this a taileron 3 channel or is it a 5 channel setup as standard?
Apr 18, 2005, 02:04 PM
Suspended Account
Elevator/Aileron(1 servo)/Throttle. 3 Channel.
Apr 18, 2005, 02:10 PM
Congrats Thor ~

Heiner ,

What setup are you using ?

Heya Sarge
Apr 18, 2005, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Welll I had two more flights today...in short grass....I did some adjustments on my plane :
1. Pulled the elevator wires so there is more trim down. Wow does it require more than I thought. But still pretty level
2. Put stickers on....does anyone know where you can buy more of those...
3. Fixed the battery bay.
4. Worked the alleron so it did not stick...
Man was it cool...1/4 throttle flying around.....wow was it responsive.....sounds to nice.....alright I am outta here with this thread..the next thing is to get video..t.hanks again guys.....
Apr 19, 2005, 12:51 AM
Hi,

made 4 flight's at Monday evening. Just a little down to trim that's it. Climbing fast, loops, rolls fan-tastic!

My setup: 3 Lipo KOKAM 1500
LEHNER 1020-14 makes 4286rpV
drawing 15A
Heiner
Last edited by Heiner Skroblin; Apr 20, 2005 at 01:16 AM.
Apr 19, 2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks Heiner ,

nice reports y'all .

See the new ALFA F-86 ?
Apr 19, 2005, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
Pics??
Apr 19, 2005, 03:14 PM
http://www.alfamodel.cz/
Apr 21, 2005, 09:55 AM
Let er Rip
Thor,

What brushless Himax are You using. There are 4 that will go in the stock fan unit. I presently have the MPjet 25/25/26. I have a spare stock fan unit settin around. Thinking Himax 2015/5400.

Jim
Apr 21, 2005, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
Himax 2015 5400....it works well with it........I got it from eflightline....I should have a video soon if this ohio weather remembers it is spring!!!

Quick Reply