May 11, 2020, 11:53 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Build Log

~1:6 scale Fokker Eindecker (Dancing Wings Hobby kit)

I started building this kit today. It's very quick to build and I could have finished the assembly already if I wasn't lazy. Only the wing is left now before covering. It's got ailerons instead of wing warping. I was considering making a thin 3D printed warping wing from LW-PLA but I can always make that later if I feel like it.

The kit arrived in a beat up box but the content was mostly undamaged. The cowling was cracked in a couple fo places, which is nothing to worry about as it's easy to fix. One of the wing spars was also broken from the box damage so I will repair and double up the repair area. It's not the main spar so it's not a biggie.

I will shorten the cowl to a scale length and replace the dinky wheels that come with it for something more scale like. I don't think balancing will be an issue as it's got pretty light tail materials and parts. I'll probably 3D print the wheels and tires. I'll also 3D print a flat rotating rotary engine like I did for my Hangar 9 sopwith Camel. I wanted to cover it with "Antique" colored Oratex, but they are all out at the shop so I might just cover it with natural Oratex and paint it, or get some olive drab Oratex.

This is the kit: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F163614756246

The fuselage shown next to my 1:6 OV-10 Bronco build.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2020, 04:42 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I built one wing now and wow they sure managed to make it complicated to assemble. It's like they tried to make it idiot proof by adding tabs and slots everywhere but instead they made it a chore. There are also glaring errors in the plans. The main spar and rear spar are swapped around in both the building instructions and the plan. It comes together in the end though.
May 11, 2020, 09:23 PM
Looks similar to the one Hobby King sells.
May 12, 2020, 02:25 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
It's probably the same. Hobbyking sells a lot of stuff made by others, and brand it as their own. They do that with planes made by CMP, Dynam and VQ as well.

I removed 50 mm from the cowling and ended up with 80 mm. ~70 would be scale, but I want that little extra in case I need it and can always remove the rest later.

The included gun kit is actuallly really nice looking when assembled.
May 12, 2020, 02:41 PM
I would like to build mine after I get the 1/6 Neuiport off the bench.
May 13, 2020, 12:30 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The spinning dummy engine is finished. I'm painting the metal front of the plane now. I'll post photos later. I think I will just paint the aluminium and insignias on it and maybe add some weathering.

A Le Rhone is not the right engine for the Eindecker, but close enough.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 13, 2020 at 12:53 PM.
May 13, 2020, 01:56 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I think the landing gear is a few cm too tall. Maybe I'll braze some new axles on
May 14, 2020, 12:38 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I added some streamlining to the landing gear andpainted the insignia. Guess ony the wings are left now.
May 14, 2020, 04:03 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I ran out of Oratex so I can't cover the wings tonight. I had to order another 2m roll. I'm surprised I have used 10 m of the stuff already, but my Bronco has three fuselages and a giant wing so I guess I underestimated the amount needed.
May 15, 2020, 09:53 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I uploaded the wheel design to Cults3D so others can 3D print them. They are easy to print, even the tires:
EDIT:
I realized I made them 16% too small so I'm printing new ones and will upload the files once I have taken photos of them.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 16, 2020 at 04:59 AM.
May 15, 2020, 10:07 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I weighed the model. It will weigh 2184 g with the covering and battery (4S 2800 mAh). That's very light for a plane of this size, despite the oversize motor. It balances with the battery right in front of the CG, so I can probably move the cowl and motor back that last cm without issue. Cool! It's gonna be a slow flyer.
May 15, 2020, 03:12 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I tried to randomize the metallic finish using a brush in the dremel. Turned out pretty good. The Eindecker had a random swirl pattern.
May 16, 2020, 04:59 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The wheels are up on Cults3D now: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...kker-eindecker
May 16, 2020, 07:01 PM
This is a cool plane, I've had mine sitting in the box for probably a year, but obviously haven't gotten around to building it yet. I like what you did with the silver and all, was your paint and swirl on the covering as well? I'd be nervous of going through the covering if I were doing it.

What motor and prop are you using? I think I have some 4" dubro wheels for mine, I don't know what size you went with.
May 17, 2020, 09:04 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I left the dremel running on its lowest speed and let it bounce around on the painted surface, only touching very briefly each time. I tested on a piece of covered and bainted balsa first to see if it worked. If you hold it for any duration it will go through. Just touch. The Dremel brush is quite stiff. It's got black blastic bristles. I don't know where I got it. It might hav ebeen included with my Dremel 25 years ago.

These wheels are 116 mm (4,57") in diameter, which is 1:6,1 scale, same as the fuselage. The full size wheels are 710 mm in diameter with 85mm tires. I think the Dubro vintage wheels are 4,66", so pretty close to scale in outside diameter.

My motor is a cheap "One Dime RC" 4130-06 motor with a kv of 400. I'll be running on 4S with this scale 15x12 prop, which should be adequate, but not spectacular.

Quick Reply