Mar 20, 2021, 06:44 AM
FYSA - I tried the below but was unable to make SAFE work on Port 4. Switched to Port 5 and got it to work. I put the Wingnut controller on Port 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleemon
Maybe a dumb question, how do you unlock the receiver? Yes, I have both the SPMA3065 and Wingnut Night Radian LED Controller.

UPDATE:
Figured it out. Opened application 'Spektrum Programmer' app. Plugged SPMA3065 into usb port on pc, plugged other end into BIND/PRG port. Plugged battery into FT Night Radian and then in application checked the 'Power Cable' checkbox and then asked if want to use the device or pc settings and I selected Device (aka airplane). At this point just clicked Edit and under 'Initial Setup' there is Port Assignment & Failsafe. I set port 4 and 5 to 'Preset' and then in Auxiliaries I changed my Gear to Port 4 and Aux 1 to Port 5.

At this point I rebound my FT Radian with SAFE option and programmed my gear switch for SAFE and then port 5 has the cable from the Wingnut controller so programmed that to Aux 1 which on DX9 is knob.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2021, 06:21 PM
Slow Flyer

Question

I do not have a Night Radian (or any Radian for that matter), but I am intrigued by this controller. Can this controller be used with in another application (plane) using standard 12v LED strips?
Apr 19, 2021, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
I do not have a Night Radian (or any Radian for that matter), but I am intrigued by this controller. Can this controller be used with in another application (plane) using standard 12v LED strips?
No, not using standard 12v strips. You could possibly use 5 volt RGB strips though. The controller runs off a 5 volts supplied from the receiver and the stock NR has a dc to dc converter that steps down the 3s voltage from the balance port. You can purchase the Night Radian lights under spare parts from Horizon Hobbies and use them in a different plane.
Last edited by Missiletm; Apr 20, 2021 at 08:40 AM.
Apr 21, 2021, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
As Missletm stated, the controller works with 5v LED strips. Particularly, the WS2812B family of LED strips. These can be purchased from many online outlets like Amazon, eBay, BangGood, etc. The controller firmware is designed around the layout of the Night Radian, and the number of LEDs in each strip is set in the code, but if you wanted to set up your own plane, you could do so. you can also download the source code from our GitHub page, https://github.com/wingnut-tech/FT-N...LED-Controller and change the values in the config.h file to meet your airplanes needs, then upload the code to the LED controller using the Arduino IDE.

We are also getting ready to release full kits for different size planes that include the LED controller and the LED strips that you can install yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Apr 27, 2021, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech
As Missletm stated, the controller works with 5v LED strips. Particularly, the WS2812B family of LED strips. These can be purchased from many online outlets like Amazon, eBay, BangGood, etc. The controller firmware is designed around the layout of the Night Radian, and the number of LEDs in each strip is set in the code, but if you wanted to set up your own plane, you could do so. you can also download the source code from our GitHub page, https://github.com/wingnut-tech/FT-N...LED-Controller and change the values in the config.h file to meet your airplanes needs, then upload the code to the LED controller using the Arduino IDE.

We are also getting ready to release full kits for different size planes that include the LED controller and the LED strips that you can install yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Uh-oh. I just purchased a new AR637T receiver for my Night Radian so that I could have vario. Will i be able to use the Wingnut and the LED strips with my new receiver? Can I just plug and go, or am I out of luck? Hmm...I think I'd rather have the lights than the vario.
Apr 27, 2021, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
No, not using standard 12v strips. You could possibly use 5 volt RGB strips though. The controller runs off a 5 volts supplied from the receiver and the stock NR has a dc to dc converter that steps down the 3s voltage from the balance port. You can purchase the Night Radian lights under spare parts from Horizon Hobbies and use them in a different plane.
I was wondering about this. I have a Conscendo Evolution and I was wondering if I could plug in the HH Night Radian light set into my Conscendo along with the Wingnut controller. I thought I'd just Dremel out a channel on the wings and the fuselage and put the lights in the channel and cover them with white tape (not sure where I get that tape). The Night Radian is a much bigger plane, but if I snip off the ends of the light strip so that they fit my Conscendo, they'll still work, right?
Apr 27, 2021, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdouglasj
I was wondering about this. I have a Conscendo Evolution and I was wondering if I could plug in the HH Night Radian light set into my Conscendo along with the Wingnut controller. I thought I'd just Dremel out a channel on the wings and the fuselage and put the lights in the channel and cover them with white tape (not sure where I get that tape). The Night Radian is a much bigger plane, but if I snip off the ends of the light strip so that they fit my Conscendo, they'll still work, right?

There are cut points on the strips that would allow you to cut them but the wing strips should be short enough for a Conscendo. Get some white packing tape to cover them or blenderm tape. I would just press them in the foam without trenching the wing. Seems like that could possibly compromise the integrity of the wing. Also, if possible, fish the strips inside the fuse if you can.
Apr 27, 2021, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Sure you could do this. The only issue will be that the Wingnut LED controller will be addressing LEDs that no longer exist at the ends of the wings. You won't have NAV lights or strobes any longer. That being said, if you send me the number of LEDs that you end up with after cutting, I can compile a custom firmware for you to load onto your LED controller. Also, I would highly recommend that you wrap the end of the LED strip around the wingtip and onto the top of the wing with 4 LEDs on top. This will help a ton when you are in a turn and can only see the top of the plane at night.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

Brian
Apr 27, 2021, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwesterntech
Sure you could do this. The only issue will be that the Wingnut LED controller will be addressing LEDs that no longer exist at the ends of the wings. You won't have NAV lights or strobes any longer. That being said, if you send me the number of LEDs that you end up with after cutting, I can compile a custom firmware for you to load onto your LED controller. Also, I would highly recommend that you wrap the end of the LED strip around the wingtip and onto the top of the wing with 4 LEDs on top. This will help a ton when you are in a turn and can only see the top of the plane at night.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

Brian
Thanks!

Now that I have the Conscendo in front of me, I'm not sure if there is enough room for the Wingnut. The only possibility would be lying loose on top of or right below the battery.
May 02, 2021, 03:12 PM

Ar637t

Quote:
Uh-oh. I just purchased a new AR637T receiver for my Night Radian so that I could have vario. Will i be able to use the Wingnut and the LED strips with my new receiver? Can I just plug and go, or am I out of luck? Hmm...I think I'd rather have the lights than the vario.
The AR637T has 6 channels and the N R will need Throttle, Rudder (acting as Aileron) and Elevator i.e three of the channels so that leaves you spare channels to use . You canít just plug it and go as youíll need to program the switch you want . Plug the Wingnut into one of the unused channels of the receiver and program a switch to turn the lights on through their sequence.
Vario is just a telemetry choice so it doesnít affect using and of the 6 channels.
May 02, 2021, 08:49 PM

I can't get the Wingnut working on my new AR637T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer1945
The AR637T has 6 channels and the N R will need Throttle, Rudder (acting as Aileron) and Elevator i.e three of the channels so that leaves you spare channels to use . You can’t just plug it and go as you’ll need to program the switch you want . Plug the Wingnut into one of the unused channels of the receiver and program a switch to turn the lights on through their sequence.
Vario is just a telemetry choice so it doesn’t affect using and of the 6 channels.
Arrrgh! I'm afraid the Wingnut is not working. I installed the AR637T in my Night Radian, and I followed a document written by flightengr to do it. When I completed this setup, the knob did not control the lights (no surprise). At this point I went back and followed the exact steps that worked for me last time I successfully set up the Wingnut. You can see those steps here in the post that begins "Thanks GB..."

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post45565239

The only control I have over the lights right now is I get three different effects when I flick switch B, which is my flight mode switch.

The wingnut is plugged into slot #5 on my 637T just as it was on my previous receiver in the Night Radian.

At present, my Channel Input Config reads as follows:

1. Thro:N/A
2. Aile: N/A
3 Elev: N/A
4 Rudd: N/A
5 Gear: B
6 Aux1:Rknb
7 Aux2: I
8 Aux3: Rknb

I'm not sure why Aux3 is Rknb. I tried changing it to Inh, but it didn't make a difference.

UPDATE: I plugged the wingnut into Port 6 instead of Port 5 (even though I had it in Port 5 in my previous model), and that fixed the problem!
Last edited by jdouglasj; May 02, 2021 at 09:56 PM.
May 03, 2021, 12:53 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Well done on getting it working. The channel inputs can be changed just by clicking on them and scrolling through the options - unless the Tx has reserved them for primary flight controls and marked them N/A.
So the radio and receiver were doing just what you told them to (as opposed to what you wanted!). My aircraft often do this.
All you needed to do was assign Ch5 input as Rknb.
You may also find that you need to increase the Travel on your chosen light control channel to get the full range of displays - I needed to go to 130% each way from memory.
Enjoy your night flying,
PeteM

Quick Reply