May 29, 2020, 08:37 PM
Information Sponge
Received my Wingnut Special today. Install was a breeze! USB linked the rx and set it to Ch 6:Aux 1 which I linked to the RKnob. Powered up and PERFECT! Man, I love how the cockpit is cleaned up from so much clutter, now! With a 2200mAh battery sitting up against the forward bulkhead, without all the extra wire and crap, the plane sits nicely with its CoG.

It's going up this evening as the sun sets here on the coast...as long as the wind lays down a bit.
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2020, 08:50 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Nice! Enjoy!!
Jun 05, 2020, 12:32 AM
I received the Wignut LED controller and flew it this evening. Very nice. I really like the Nav lights and wingtip strobes for orientation in addition to the excellent light displays all controlled from the transmitter. As mentioned, getting the stock wiring and controller out of the way from under the canopy is a big de-clutter plus. Getting and using the Spektrum programming cable to unlock the AR36A BNF version was no problem. I'll have other uses for the programming cable so its good to have around. The Wignut LED controller is a great addition to the Night Radian.
Jun 05, 2020, 01:16 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Mine arrived yesterday, installed, tested and programmed today.
The most difficult bit was getting the cable through the narrow passage to the cockpit, past the clutter of other wires and the ESC. All done now but not yet flown.
It is a nicely built, professional looking device and certainly seems to do exactly what it claims.
Cheers,
PeteM
Jun 05, 2020, 06:47 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Now if we can just get all of us together at an event and fly them at night, it would be amazing!
Jun 11, 2020, 07:47 PM
Was able to test mine yesterday before it got really dark, well worth the money. Thanks so much for sharing.
Jul 11, 2020, 08:04 PM

Wingnut Installed

This is a nice unit and it really cleans up the mess in the cockpit in addition to giving you the ability to have great light displays you can set from the transmitter. My biggest problem was that while I had a programming cable for the BNF AR636A, I've never had need to go into the programming before and I had a time of it opening a channel on the receiver. When I finally did, AUX 1 to port 6, setting my Dx9 to use the roller LLv was a snap. The YouTube video:
Horizon Insider Tech Talk: Installing SAFE Select Profile to a Spektrum AR636 Receiver (10 min 10 sec)
was very helpful. I can't wait to get out there and fly.
Jul 12, 2020, 08:12 PM
While you are in the PC program you can put AS3X on a switch also so you can turn it on and off just like SAFE. That way on a 3 position switch you can have one position for SAFE on, a second position for SAFE off but AS3X on, and a third position for “no gyro mode”, AS3X off and SAFE off. AS3X is arguably of somewhat limited value and I figure at times it is just creating unnecessary battery drain and servo wear fighting moderately choppy air. Plus being able to turn it off will make traditional Radian pilots happy. The 3 flight modes that you see on the PC program are unrelated and separate from the flight modes that you can set up with your transmitter. I have the SAFE/AS3X/no gyro mode on one three position switch, and the three transmitter flight modes (trim settings basically) on another three position switch with a DX-6. And yeah, the Wignut is a great device, worth every penny. It was a real hit at a house out in the country on the 4th. Perfect with the fireworks.
Jul 21, 2020, 04:53 PM
Gnd warning sensor needed
Just thought I would add to the comments, had an original board and followed the software update info. Had no problems, finally installed in my Radiant using a rotary dial on my transmitter for its operation. It works great and hope to put it to use at Neat Fair in September. Thank you for you review and Wingnut Tech for developing it.
Jul 21, 2020, 05:23 PM
For those of you that ordered the Wingnut, how long did it take for you to receive it?
Jul 21, 2020, 07:45 PM
Information Sponge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingiceberg
For those of you that ordered the Wingnut, how long did it take for you to receive it?
Just a few days as I recall.
Jul 22, 2020, 12:14 AM
I hooked up the spectrum audio programming cable and when I did it did not sync but showed a connection. What am I doing wrong? Is the wizard supposed to open its there supposed to be an option to sync. I tried the audio cable with IOS and Android. Should I get the Bluetooth cable or USB? In iPad OS, (iPad Pro 12.9) it kept telling me to power cycle the receiver. After power cycle I would get the same message. In Android with an S20+ and an adapter it would show connected but would not sync or launch the Wizard.

Settings from receiver are not transferring to device.
Last edited by Flyingiceberg; Jul 22, 2020 at 08:49 AM.
Jul 23, 2020, 09:58 AM
Flyingiceberg - I am interested to know too before ordering the SPMA3065. I am planning to plug to the PC thou.
Jul 23, 2020, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingiceberg
I hooked up the spectrum audio programming cable and when I did it did not sync but showed a connection. What am I doing wrong? Is the wizard supposed to open its there supposed to be an option to sync. I tried the audio cable with IOS and Android. Should I get the Bluetooth cable or USB? In iPad OS, (iPad Pro 12.9) it kept telling me to power cycle the receiver. After power cycle I would get the same message. In Android with an S20+ and an adapter it would show connected but would not sync or launch the Wizard.

Settings from receiver are not transferring to device.
I have both the audio cable and the usb cable and find that the usb cable and my pc work the best for configuring these recievers. The audio cable tends to be a little finicky with my iPhone.

With the pc you can do alot more with the AR636 using the Spektrum programmer and the Model Builder program including the ability to setup three flight modes, no as3x, as3x and SAFE mode on a 3 position switch.

Dave does a great job in his series and makes it really easy to understand:
Spektrum AR636 Programming Series - Introduction (5 min 39 sec)
Last edited by Missiletm; Jul 23, 2020 at 09:59 PM.
Jul 23, 2020, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmok
Flyingiceberg - I am interested to know too before ordering the SPMA3065. I am planning to plug to the PC thou.
I contacted Horizon and they recommended using the USB cable since you can do a lot more with it. Just picked one up from Hobby Town. Now I am just waiting for the Wingnut Controller.

Quick Reply