May 15, 2020, 08:15 AM
Received mine, it's in and installed. Works like a champ - I assigned it to the knob on my ix12. I'm really pleased with this!
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2020, 06:20 PM
Brian, thank you for a brilliant product! Definitely a must-have!
Jason, thank you for a great review which was the reason that I found this.

All, I am longtime Radian pilot and have a new Night Radian BNF on its way to me but am relatively inexperienced with all the tech, so I am hoping that someone(s) might please help me.

Questions:
1. Has anyone confirmed yet that they can activate one of the channels on the BNF receiver to make this work? (yes, I know,...need programming cable but just want confirmation that someone has been able to actually make it work on BNF receiver)
2. My transmitter is the DX5e that came with original Radian and with 5 channels, theoretically it should have enough channels for this (3 to fly, 1 for SAFE, and 1 for Lights) but it does not have enough switches, correct? I was planning on using the Channel 5 switch for SAFE. Could I use Channel 5 switch for lights instead if I do not program SAFE to a switch?
3. Which Spektrum Transmitter should I get to make everything work? (I am an old guy and don't plan on ever flying anything except Night Radian)
4. If I want rotary knob as suggested, then I would have to get Dx8 correct?

Anything that anyone can do to help me get this figured out and working would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Last edited by SkypilotMI; May 18, 2020 at 04:32 AM.
May 17, 2020, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80
Out of curiosity I tried plugging both the rudder and elevator into channel 4 (rudder channel) on my Night Radian AR363A. There was a momentary servo jitter when plugged in so there is power there. When moving the rudder stick, nothing happens. So there is power but no signal. Same thing with channel 5 (set to SAFE) and channel 6 Aux1. Momentary jitter when plugged in (power) but no surface movement when the corresponding switch is moved (no signal).
The BNF Night Radian receiver has channels 4,5 and 6 disabled for some reason. You will need to activate at least one of those channels in order to use them for a light controller or any other function. The cables are cheap and the process is pretty simple using the AS3X programmer on a smart phone (app download and audio port) or on a PC using the USB cable and there is even a bluetooth progamming cable as well.

The cable is good to have anyway, especially the usb version. I have reprogrammed over a dozen of the Ar636 recievers and used them in several planes. The cable also allows you to remove as3x all together if you donít like it without having to replace it.

The Radian really doesnít need SAFE, but it is nice to have it available if you wanna take Your eyes off it for a few seconds while its doing itís thing on a warm midday 1 hour flight.
May 18, 2020, 04:30 AM
Hi,

Simpler version of my questions above to make it easier for someone to help. Any help with either would be greatly appreciated.

How does the LED controller know which switch that you want to assign it to?

Would this LED light controller work with my 3-position Channel 5 switch on my Dx5e transmitter that came with my original Radian?

If not, which Spektrum transmitter should I get to make this work? I will only be flying Night Radian, period.

Thank you!
Last edited by SkypilotMI; May 18, 2020 at 06:55 AM.
May 18, 2020, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkypilotMI
Hi,

Simpler version of my questions above to make it easier for someone to help. Any help with either would be greatly appreciated.

How does the LED controller know which switch that you want to assign it to?

Would this LED light controller work with my 3-position Channel 5 switch on my Dx5e transmitter that came with my original Radian?

If not, which Spektrum transmitter should I get to make this work? I will only be flying Night Radian, period.

Thank you!

You assign the switch in your transmitter. For that you would need the usb programming cable to make settings to your radio. It should work if you set up your radio that way.

If youíre planning on staying in the hobby, you should upgrade that transmitter. DX6 or better depending on how much you want to spend would be the best start. DX8 would be even better. There are great deales in the classifieds here.
May 18, 2020, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
You assign the switch in your transmitter. For that you would need the usb programming cable to make settings to your radio. It should work if you set up your radio that way.

If you’re planning on staying in the hobby, you should upgrade that transmitter. DX6 or better depending on how much you want to spend would be the best start. DX8 would be even better. There are great deales in the classifieds here.
Channel 6 is Aux1 and channel 4 is the rudder channel on the BNF AR636 for the NR. Do you know if the programming cable would allow you to change channel 4 from rudder to say an Aux2 channel? With no need for the rudder stick controlling anything I’d like to have an Aux1 and Aux2 both active on individual 3 position switches. Just wondering if the program cable can make that happen.
Last edited by IAI80; May 18, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
May 18, 2020, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80
Channel 6 is Aux1 and channel 4 is the rudder channel on the BNF AR636 for the NR. Do you know if the programming cable would allow you to change channel 4 from rudder to say an Aux2 channel? With no need for the rudder stick controlling anything Iíd like to have an Aux1 and Aux2 both active on individual 3 position switches. Just wondering if the program cable can make that happen.
Once you unlock the receiver you can assign 4,5 and 6 to whatever switch you want in your transmitter channel assignments.
May 18, 2020, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Once you unlock the receiver you can assign 4,5 and 6 to whatever switch you want in your transmitter channel assignments.
Perfect thanks. I ordered the cable and will do that.
May 19, 2020, 09:51 AM
Quote:
4 and 6 are unassigned but apparently SAFE is on Channel 5 on BNF receiver, so SAFE would have to stay on Channel 5, right?
May 19, 2020, 10:18 AM
Well, not necessarily. You can assign it to another channel. The rx is 6 channels but if your radio can handle it you can assign SAFE to I believe up to aux 3 which would be channel 8. Sounds wierd but that’s what I read from Horizon. I’ll see if I can find a link to where I found that. It may have even been in a setup video for AR636 programming. I’ll look.
May 26, 2020, 07:46 PM
Info Sponge - AMA #1207430
Well, I've had my Night Radian for maybe a week and a few days? Already it's fully laminated from out of the box, new BB Precision aluminum spinner and Aeronaut CAM carbon prop, and now another $36 just went into Wingnut's pocket!

This plane is a hoot and now even more so with this gizmo!
May 26, 2020, 07:48 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Lol! Love it.
May 26, 2020, 08:51 PM
Awesome light controller. At our club night fly Saturday there were about 6 night radians in the air at the same time. There was no mistaking which one was mine. I love the ability to change lighting in flight. My favorite is the night rider mode. I also really like the wingtip nav lights.
May 28, 2020, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Maybe a dumb question, how do you unlock the receiver? Yes, I have both the SPMA3065 and Wingnut Night Radian LED Controller.

UPDATE:
Figured it out. Opened application 'Spektrum Programmer' app. Plugged SPMA3065 into usb port on pc, plugged other end into BIND/PRG port. Plugged battery into FT Night Radian and then in application checked the 'Power Cable' checkbox and then asked if want to use the device or pc settings and I selected Device (aka airplane). At this point just clicked Edit and under 'Initial Setup' there is Port Assignment & Failsafe. I set port 4 and 5 to 'Preset' and then in Auxiliaries I changed my Gear to Port 4 and Aux 1 to Port 5.

At this point I rebound my FT Radian with SAFE option and programmed my gear switch for SAFE and then port 5 has the cable from the Wingnut controller so programmed that to Aux 1 which on DX9 is knob.
Last edited by lleemon; May 28, 2020 at 10:20 PM.
May 28, 2020, 10:23 PM
Info Sponge - AMA #1207430
Quote:
Originally Posted by lleemon
Maybe a dumb question, how do you unlock the receiver? Yes, I have both the SPMA3065 and Wingnut Night Radian LED Controller.
I'm new to the PC app and JUST NOW downloaded it. I've used the BLE Dongle. Go to www.spektrumrc.com/as3x and scroll all the way to the bottom to get the software installed. By linking your model to the app, it looks like you just go in and assign the "unassigned" ports. You'll immediately see how the Throttle, elevator, and ailerons (think rudder) are assigned and their SAFE assignments. Everything else is just sitting there waiting to be woke up.

EDIT: You snuck that edit in on me! For me it said DO NOT POWER UP BATTERY IF CONNECTING USB

Quick Reply